Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Luann and Ekim, Delila will be arriving in a few days and I was wondering what is the best way to introduce her to Ekim, my 5 year old male boxer. I have so many questions about raising two dogs together. Ekim is very spoiled and laid back and I am worried that he will change his personality with the addition of a rambunctious puppy. I also wanted to ask what to do about feeding time as Ekim is a very slow eater, it sometimes takes him all day to finish his morning meal. If he does eat  fast he vomits, so picking up his dish in a few minutes is not an option. Do I feed them in the same room or seperate them ? Also what is the best food for a dog . The vet has him on Science Diet natures best low cal, but from reading about all of the by-products, I realize that it isn't the best food for him. I also have a question, about where the puppy should go to the bathroom, the area outside my door that is fenced is very large but it is mostly concrete with decorative stone borders. Ekim goes to the bathroom on the stones and I scoop it like kitty litter. I read that puppies shouldn't walk on concrete.To get to the grassy area in my yard you have to go down a flight of stairs and with winter approaching I don't know what to do , I want Deila to get used to going in one place and I would like her to follow Ekim to the pee pee spot. I am sorry this is so long, I could go on for ever with my questions, but I will stop for now so you won't get sick of me. LOL Thank You for the help.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: Advice needed on how to introduce new puppy to adult dog

I answered this "how can i introduce ekim and my new puppy?" question in the dog body language stickey.  Please refer to that stickey for your answer to that question.

As for walking on concrete, so long as your pup isn't being forced into exercise on the concrete it should be fine for her to walk on it.

As for food, we have a "grade your dog food" stickey on the forum (i dont remember where, you'll jsut have to look for it) that will give you a really good idea as to where your current dog food stands and what other foods are better.

As for feeding, I would feed them in the same room until (or if) you see a problem behavior.  If you see a problem behavior, then you should seperate them only long enough to deal/resolve the problem.

To calm your worrying heart:
Many times when there is a new Boxer addition to a single Boxer household, the first Boxer kindof takes the new Boxer under his wing.  They tend to teach (housebreak, potty spot training, appropriate behavior, etc...) the new Boxer addition alot of the things we stress over a new puppy learning.  The only thing that I want you to be cognicant of is....

Boxers play VERY rough!!!  She isnt glass and she won't break.  As rough as he is likely to play with her, he is or has already toned down his play to sui her size and her ability to play with him and handle.

Just be familiar with the dog body language stickey and watch them just in case.

Good luck and have fun...hope this helps.....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

We picked Sadie up, it was about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour car ride home.  Charlie made the trip with us.  We slowly introduced Charlie to her and let him sniff her out.  We fed them in the same room, there crates are side by side, and we let them play with eachother since day one.  I think Charlie really helped Sadie as far as housebreaking.  I will also warn that dogs do play rough and it is to be expected.  As long as there not aggressive, such as biting to the point of bleeding, there gonna rough-house a bit.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This may sound stupid, but where do I find a stickey? lol

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

look in the sub-forums on the left hand side (forum index)...they will be at thethe highest posts but will have an arrow pointing down to indicate it is a stickey...

happy hunting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts