Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!  We have at 15 month male boxer, who is the most loveable puppy in the world!  We spend a lot of time playing with him and running him to burn off his energy...which he has plenty to spare.  We are considering getting a second boxer about his age so that he has a friend to play with during the day when we're not home.

Currently we take him to a day camp program twice a week so that he can play and socialize with other puppies, but we feel like he needs a full time companion to keep him company on the days when he's home alone.  He's great with other dogs, but I wanted to get other's input on having multiple boxers in the house.  From your experiences, has it been positive or negative?

We love all of his energy and spunk, but recently found out that I am expecting our first baby and want him to have a playmate now that things will be changing.

Can anyone give me advice or input on your experiences with two pups.  Was it a good thing or a bad thing?  Thank you so much!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Since adding my second I do not feel guilty about leaving Hanna because she has company.  They play well together and keep each other company!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Getting a second one was the best thing we ever did. Sam and Lucy are approx. a year apart and are best pals and play 24/7. After Skylar passed away, Sam was by himself and I thought I was doing a good job burning off his energy with exercise...HA..Now after watching those two play and run around all day, I wasn't even putting a dent in it! I would highly recommend getting another boxer for your boy.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
ok firs toff i must say THANK YOU!!! for not trying to rehome him just because you are pregnant (congrats btw) that is one of the top reasons people give up dogs.

Now on to the question. Boxers are always good in pairs. I have three and they all get along great, and they will tire each other out everyday :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I only have one at the moment but want to get another for the same reason. I have heard from other people since getting Phoenix that they do alot better if you have to leave them alone if they have another to play with.

BTW welcome to the forum...can't wait to see pictures of your fur-baby and hearing more about him!

·
Registered
441 Posts
We have two and WOW, it is soooo great for both of them! there is a year between ours and are inseparable...training was easier when we got the second pup, since he did what ever the older dog did! The tire each other out everyday!  Its great!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree w/everyone else -- I wouldn't have it any other way! After bringing my boy home, Prada has not stopped! Even in the middle of the night, they tend to wake up & want to play... which I'm not too thrilled over! *haha* But I really think it's a great thing. And not only are they releasing their energy, but they're gaining dog-to-dog skills, which are essential. Now, this doesn't mean that you have to stop socializing them around other dogs, but they start learning what is 'good' play & what is 'bad' play. I'd say go for it... but don't be too hasty in finding the perfect breeder and/or rescue.

Best of luck to you in your decision! :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
You will not regret the decision to add a second Boxer. The only other thing I would suggest would be to get a female. Since we got Blitzen, Donner is a whole different dog. For the better. Good luck with your decision. :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi! I don't mean to steal this thread but I had a very similar question. I have a male who is almost 9 months old. He has the sweetest dispostion and enough energy to do a marathon! I know I'm going to want another one. At the moment I am still working on training him and am not quite ready for a new tiny tornado! But what is a good age for me to introduce a new boxer friend for him? Is there an ideal age? He isn't territorial or anything. My mom brings her pom over all the time, and while that dog can't keep up with Ace, he is a big teddy bear with her! I know he'd love another buddy to play with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Advice on getting a 2nd boxer - 2nd question

Thank you so much for all of your input!!!! This has really helped!!!

I know someone mentioned getting a female as the 2nd boxer, but does anyone else have 2 males?  Do they fight over alpha position or have you had any trouble with 2 boys?  Would you recommend us getting a female, or would 2 males be ok?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
m/f are the best for pairings but depending on the dog and the temperment yes some m/m and f/f can work, but you really have to screen the dogs even as they grow older.   But if you are rescuing then the rescue will most likely do that for you.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'd say, you'd be fine either way.

If you had a female, I'd suggest getting a male... merely to reduce the risk of 'outbursts.' But at the same time, I know quite a few people that have two females/two males. I think if you properly socialize your dogs & correctly bring them up, you'd never have a problem. Since Prada came first, I consider her the alpha over Nico -- I feed her first, give her treats first, let her out of her crate first, etc... so there's no risk of them trying to battle for this position, since it's already been decided for them. Nico doesn't think I love him any less - rather I think he's thankful - it's one less thing for them to have to worry about.

But if you're honest with yourself & think you wouldn't be able to handle two females/males.... good for you. Only you know your situation & what would work best for you.

This advice is if you were deciding on getting a pup. Getting an older animal could be a different situation, since you're not really sure how they'd react.

·
Registered
693 Posts
We have always had boy girl combos. We tried to adopt a male Boxer and the outfit said they wont do that because of problems that crop up down the road. Dominance issues especially if they are both alpha males. Thats just what I was told.  :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 2 girls at home ( Tessie is 7 months and Abbie is 2 years). They just love eachother and they are the best of friends. They do everything together (especially getting into trouble). I now don't feel bad when either work or school goes late because I know that they have eachother and they are fine. The one thing that I noticed is that Abbie (my roomates dog) has some bad habits that Tessie is trying to pick up so I have to work really hard on training Tessie.

Hope this helps.

Congrats on the skin baby :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
This is what the rescue I use says about adopting 2 females:

I Have a Female Boxer and I Want to Adopt Another Female Boxer
As a general rule, we will not place two female Boxers in the same home together. We feel we can increase the chances for a successful adoption by not placing female Boxers together. Inter-bitch aggression in the breed is quite common.  Unfortunately, this is one of those behavioral quirks that people will not believe unless they see it for themselves.  But, trust us.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What special things should I look out for. In my situation I didn't have much of a choice because I wanted to keep Tessie and the place I live in was the best. Are there things that could be really bad with the 2 of them together? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"95647 said:
Inter-bitch aggression in the breed is quite common
Same goes in my office too!!
I hated supervising women where I used to work, it was worse than babysitting eight 2-year olds who were at their worst behavior.

EDIT:  Sorry off topic  :oops:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Two males are more likely to get along than two females.  Also just because they get along when one of them is a puppy is on guarantee that they won't start fighting when they both reach maturity, which can be as late as 2 or 3 years old.  So, worst case scenario you are attached to both dogs and forced to give one up, or live with them permanently separated.  This kind of extreme thing happens more with females though- they seem to hold a grudge for life, whereas males can work it out.  Best case scenario- your dog gets along beautifully with the other!  There are, after all f/f households and m/m households without problems.
It does really depend on your dog's personality, and the one that you are adopting or buying.
Good luck in searching for one!

G

·
0 Posts
We got Jetta at 6 weeks old...by 3 months of age, we wanted a playmate for her...she was soo needy and wanted us to play with her 24/7....and I am in school and needed to study...so...I found an ad at work about someone giving away a 9 month old fawn male boxer.  I called and they brought him over and I fell in love.  He was rather mean to Jetta for the first few days (I credit this to him being moved a lot over the month, and him trying to get used to his new surroundings)...after 2 days...it was nonstop play....and he was sooo gentle with her...they wrestle, box, chase each other, hippo mouth, etc.  Now that Jetta is getting older, they are playing harder...they body slam each other, box on hind legs, etc....it's soo much fun to watch and it's nice to not have to worry about giving them 100% of my attention...I love having two and I definitely think a m/f combo is the best!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts