Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old Flashy Brindle puppy. She has been in the home for 2 1/2 weeks. Also in the home is my 10 year old flashy fawn and a 2 year old Yorky. Sorry for the length but here is the back story..... We brought her home and after a few hours of acclimation, hugs, play, etc., introduced her to her crate using the reccomended "gradual" process. It was immediately evident that the crate was NOT a favorite of hers. The extent of her disdain would soon become evident. We were home witb her except for 30 mins here and there the 1st 4 days at home. No matter if she has been outside and done her business, played for hours on end, has toys, or no toys, blanket or no blanket, plenty of crate space or minimal crate space, as soon as the gate is shut, she will, within minutes, poop and pee in the kennel and proceed to yelp, bite the kennel, jump, pace, and make a mess of herself and the crate without regard for hours on end until she is let out. After a few days of this, we then tried going crateless. At 1st seeming to work well as she slept with our senior. I set my alarm (to the eyre if my wife) every hour and a half through the night. And take her out. There were multiple "accidents" during the times we were asleep, but we stayed the course. But the fact still remains, she MUST be crated between the hours 8am - 11:30am and 12:15am and 2pm. I also purchaed one of the exercise pens and placed the crate inside of it (this was the set up the breeder had) but the result was the same. More destruction and more mess.

I have read every publication, forum thread, etc., and essentially tried to follow the advice to the letter. We are not delusional enough to believe that she should be housebroken at 10 weeks. Through 2 labs, a jack russell, yorkie and the previous boxer, I have been tried but always successful. And I will be successful with her although she is definitely testing my resolve loke no other.

So after all this info, has any of you out there faced a situation and/or behavior similar to ours? Any help or advice would be appreciated. If you read this complete "novel," that too is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I like routine. If you live in a 2 storey, place a crate on the main floor for,day time crating and have one upstairs beside your bed for night time.

The size of the crate is important. To big and they will mess.

Feed all meals in the down stairs crate with the door open.

You didn't do your puppy any favours. You introduced the crate to early therefore causing stress and anxiety before the puppy had a chance to adjust to your home. You then changed things and allowed freedom. Stick with a routine and be consistent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts