Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Re: Affraid of EVERYTHING!

How old is Bonzer??
Boxers can go through a period of time where they are frightened by ANYTHING. Although not to the extent you have..at 5 1/2 months Ashley just yesterday..ran full tilt into the bedroom closet..because a letter on the counter got knocked to the floor. We are talking PAPER here.. She tucked her butt down and ran like someone was firing a machine gun in the house..LOL. All I can tell you is all my other boxers have out grown it...and I have found the best thing to do is what ever made the noise..( like the letter ) I allow her to come back and take however long she needs to sniff it and see she will not be injured. The WORST thing I know is to drag/push/pull them to the item or person, as you are only teaching them that your going to PROVE its ok..they really need to figure somethings out on their own.
Good luck with Bonzer..I was born in Minnesota..you soon will be longing for the days where he was afraid of the ducks..lol..I had one of mine chase them off the dock..they flew away..she sank like a stone and had to be rescued..silly dogs!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Re: Affraid of EVERYTHING!

When Kiah was about 9-10 months old she startled at everything.  She was laying on the couch with me and I was reading a magazine, tore one of those subsription flyers out, she flew over the top of the couch and down the wall.  She did it many other times, seemed to go as fast as it started but lasted a while.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
ahh i feel your pain. Both of my girls are that way. Savvy i am pretty sure was abused before i got her (she was 2) and Reese started acting like her after being around her for a month or so. Please understand i am NOT saying you abused your dog. Savvy and Reese are both scared of men. It has taken about 5 months of my brothers friend constantly saying nice things and petting Savvy but she has finally got to the point where she will run up to him Reese though is still standoffish. They both freak when my brother comes in my house, and i have seen many an acrobatic flip in my year of owning them. Kudos for not reinforcing the fear. hopefully this will be a phase for your puppy. If not it just takes alot of time and a lot of patience to work through it one by one and break down those fears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts