Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tinkerbelle is acting like she's afraid of kids. I babysit for friends once and a while and today i brought one of the kids who was 2 ish to the house. Tink was barking and would not come near the kid. Even when i wanted to pet her and such, she would run off. This only happens with Tink, Maddy loves kids and wont leave their side. What can i do to help this problem if she wont even come close? Any ideas??  

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
read the stickey for how to train a timid dog into having better social skills...u can use the same methods, but they have to be modifyed for kids.  You can also just give the kids some treats...put tink on lead, walk her over and have the kids "Sweet talk" her and treat her...When i first brought lilly home she was timid with my kids (hurricanes hopi, kiki, and willow, if you know what i mean), i used this exact leash and treat method and VOILA!!! she was fine.  Also have the kids do a short training session/play therapy session with tink.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i am working on the same issue-sorta. Savannah and Reese are scared of EVERYONE-not just kids. we have only been working for about 2 weeks now so we havent seen much improvement. i plan on going to the petstore though in abuot a week. hopefully when i get them around strangers i will know for sure. the advice on the sticky is very good

·
Registered
948 Posts
Toby isn't fond of children either.. He's fine with any that are babies and grow up with him, but outside of that.. No way...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its odd, these dogs are much bigger than them, and they run off frightened for their life! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts