Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tape fell off this morning, and I wanted to take a few pics to show that the taping actually worked. I'm gonna leave the tape off while I'm at work and see what happens. If they go back, I guess I'll tape them again.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well I'll be, it actually works! Interesting..Ok, I learned something new....Looks good and you can see the difference....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Diesels ears look great!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so after work his ears are still facing in the right direction. I'm so pleased!!

I fully recommend taping anyone who wants to do it. Didn't bother him one bit, and took NO time to change the direction of his ears.

·
Registered
214 Posts
thanks to diesel for being a good example, I was waiting for your progress until I taped Tyson's. Thanks so much now that  I know it works, Ill get on them tonight!!! thanks again for letting us know how they turned out

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol so if Diesel's turned out to be a huge disaster you wouldn't try it?! what's the fun in that!!

I'm so pleased that they turned out the way they did. I just keep smooshing his cute little face every time I look at him. lol

·
Registered
616 Posts
Smooshie face!  I love smooshie face!  Scout comes to me every morning to get his face smooshed.  Gunner is not into it too much though but well if Scout gets it, well then he needs it too!  You know kind of a jealousy thing.  :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
DieselsMom\";p=\"8314 said:
lol so if Diesel's turned out to be a huge disaster you wouldn't try it?! what's the fun in that!!

I'm so pleased that they turned out the way they did. I just keep smooshing his cute little face every time I look at him. lol
heck no i wouldnt do it if they diddnt turn out!!! what if they turned out really bad. people would be like"what happend to his ears?" id have to say something like..."well this person I talked to on a forum did it too, and they cam out so terrible that I decided to do it as well" lol ha ha. no, really, Im just new at this whole raising a boxer thing and dont know what the heck im doing. It really helps to have people that know whats up!

smooshy face is the best thing in the world. Tyson wont even pee in the morning till he gets a good smoosh! dont you just love it?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you ever end up taping his ears?

I haven't had to re-tape Diesel's ears, they've sat perfectly since I did it. I'm still surprised it worked out so darn well!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
his ears look so good! i taped and massaged roxys ears!!! i do have to warn you tho..............you will more then likely have to tape them again and continue to do so until hes done teething!!!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
He's a real cutie - love the white stripe on his face. I did like Roxy said and massaged Voltaire's ears when he was a pup - worked a treat :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
DieselsMom\";p=\"8476 said:
did you ever end up taping his ears?

I haven't had to re-tape Diesel's ears, they've sat perfectly since I did it. I'm still surprised it worked out so darn well!
pSHHHHHH i have been so busy this weekend that i have not had time to breathe!! i really had intentions of taping tyson's ears this weekend, but we had a house warming party, then my boyfriend wrecked his hot rod ( crushed his heart :( ) and then, i fell up-thats right-up the basement stairs and had to get stitches. ugh. so no, Tyson's ears did not get taped. but rest easy they will, and i will have lots of pictures!!! as soon as I de-stress a little.

·
Registered
316 Posts
How did I miss this thread?  I wish I had seen it, it would have saved me a ton of google searching :lol:
I have heard that it takes till a dog is 5 or 6 months old (after they finish teething) till the ears are fully trained.

How long ago did you tape Diesels ears?  Have they stayed forward like that since?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I taped them the day before I created this thread. The tape was on for a little under 24 hours before it came off by itself. His ears are still perfect, I haven't had to retape them at all.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh and just to add he's 14 weeks old today, so it' possible to get them to sit the right way before 5 to 6 months. But I didn't want to wait to see if they'd correct themselves naturally.

The tape didn't bother him at all, he never fussed with his ears, which made it easy to fix them.

·
Registered
948 Posts
just wanted to say his face in your siggy pic is precious..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah!  He is a doll!
Diesel is the name my DH wanted to name our puppy.  I told him we could get a boy dog in a year or so and he could name him Diesel then :lol:

I taped Ginsy's ears last night according to this site
http://raevon.net/TAPING.html

I will take the tape off this afternoon and see how they look.

I still wonder if the foam roller idea would work better long term.
http://www.leerburg.com/tapingears.htm

I have several months yet till her ears are permanently set the way they will be for the rest of her life.

The reason I am concerned about this is that dogs put their ears back as a sign of fear or aggression and I don't want her walking around in the world looking like she is perpetually scared of every little shadow.  KWIM?

And they look so cute with those big floppy ears framing their funny smooshy faces :wink:

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is a second page to the one you originally posted on how to tape natural ears that covers how to massage the ears into shape.  

I also found this one
http://www.geocities.com/apexboxers/ears.html

So I'm thinking, if Ginsy's ears fall into shape the right way after this initial taping the way Diesels did, then I will just massage her ears whenever we have cuddle time to help them maintain that forward fall.  

I think I can handle the massage thing- I am a massage therapist after all, currently staying home to raise my DC.  And we have plenty of cuddle time to since I am home all day with the DC and Ginsy is nearly always with us and rarely in the crate other than meals and bed time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts