Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Bruce's neutering was Thursday and successful as most know here.  He's not allowed to run, play, jump, or anything fun that he's used too.  And the worst, NO DAY CARE (his favorite).  Right now his head is resting on the window sill and wishing to be outside.

Any suggestions on what we can do to keep this bored puppy happy??

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Donner had a big, raw marrow bone after his little vet visit. Kept him happy and quiet for hours :D  We've found the most interesting ones for him are just long enough that he can't quite reach all the marrow. Just found a butcher that has BIG half hip joint bones, those take awhile too. Make sure they're raw, not smoked I've heard the smoked ones can splinter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have a 6 frozen bones in the freezer from our butcher.  I was thinking more along the lines of an activity, than eating.  His appetite has returned a little, but I know he wants to play.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Ooops sorry I misunderstood. Activity restrictions stink, everything these guys want to do involves running, jumping and roughhousing. I'm terrified of Blitzens surgery....2 weeks of restriction? 8O Maybe a nice long leash walk someplace new to Bruce or a ride in the car??? You could try hide and seek in the house if he won't get too excited, these two LOVE that game and Lord knows they can use the work on recall :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We played hide and seek for a little while.  Usually its "sit" then "stay", then i'll hide and he'll find me.  Now its stay while standing.  I'll take him for a car ride soon.

·
Registered
494 Posts
So I was thinking...how about teaching Bruce a new trick and making it fun, like bowing or something.  Everything I read says boxers have this desire to learn and paid attention to maybe some one on one time with Dad teaching might be fun for both of you  :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New trick sounded like a great idea.  I asked him to if he wanted to and this is his response...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
lol, Bruce didn't look too keen on the idea of learning something new.....Mine love car rides, it does ease boredom, realistically tho, it's hard to try and think of things to occupy them 24/7 while they recupe...Zhanna has had this problem with Henry, maybe she will have a few ideas for you

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well, Henry is just now allowed to walk around some, as long as it's walking, no running, jumping,etc.

What worked for Henry best was the Hide-A-Squirrel toy we got for his b-day last summer.

Not a very good pic. :?   Anyhow, it's a little squirrel house with 3 squirrels that go into little holes.  He gets to snuffle around and dig them out.  I tell him how good he is for getting the squirrels out, then I stuff them back in.  Sometimes he gets cranky about me stuffing them back in! :lol:   He will work on that for an hour.  There's lots of potty breaks, more to break the boredom than to actually potty.  We've also mastered the art of tug-o-war while laying down.

Good luck with the little feller! :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's doing good.  He has a ton of built up energy though.  Where did you get the squirrel?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts