Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced aggressive behavior when their female was in heat? My Boxer girl is 17 months old and on her 2nd heart. She has been very aggressive towards my 12 1/2 year old fixed female dog since she has been in heat leading to some pretty bad wounds on my older dog. I don't know what to do to help her?? Any ideas or suggestions will be very helpful. Thank you

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Oh man I am so sorry! And while the second heat cycle and 17 months of age seems obvious? That is really not the issue? If you would have got her ... 17 months ago. And said I have already have a "female Boxer?" Or another female dog? (You did state what Breed, your other dog is?) But I'm gonna guess Boxer? Anyway ... if you already had a "Female Dog," and you want to get a Female Boxer ... 99%, of members here (those that know and understand) would have said "Do Not Do It!"The issue is not what you think? It has little do with her happening to be in "Heat." It's a "Boxer," thing and it's called "Inter-Female Aggression!" That's what is going on. And fixed or not ... about the age she is now, it was going to happen. Uh for most people, now ... there is always that guy or girl. And they say I have four females, had them for years. (A real member here) and I have had no "issues?" Well I don't doubt that? But they are pretty short on "Detail's," on how they manage that?

Most "average owner's," can not do that! One Female Boxer, per household is best for most owner's. I luv prefer the girl's myself. And I wanted another "White Female Boxer," like my Stru. But my wife got to pick our next dog and she chose a (Female) Boxer/Pit. I Luv Boxer/Pit's but a Female? That kinda means I have to get a Male as my next Boxer ... because, I don't want "issues!" :(Anyway ... search on here, and also Google "Boxer and Inter-female aggression," and you will better understand what is going on. And the simplest (do it now) solution to keep them both safe, is to "Crate and Rotate."

Welcome aboard and sorry for the current issues, :(

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yeah I agree with Chip this is not a in heat thing this is your female reaching sexual maturity and a dominance issue. I would advise keeping the dogs separate before someone gets really hurt. It’s really not a good idea to try to keep two females of just about any dog. I have always had two Boxers male/female ratio never have had fighting issues.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I also agree, two females in one household is not the best mix, females are just more dominant in nature and having 2 in the same house creates havoc. I get it though your first is 12 1/2 years old so likely you wanted another female for when her time is up. I would just keep them separate . Its easily done, with gates and let them out at different times as well. I have a little dog that is a alpha female, she is the boss of all dogs in my household. For themes part I keep her separate because of her bossiness. LOL Works fine. My other 3 dogs are male, all neutered and they get along just fine.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Yeah, I have heard that two Female GSD's in the same household can be pretty bad also? But on the scale of how bad is bad? German Sheppard rescues don't have a "Flat No Policy," if you already have a Female GSD. Competent Boxer Rescue, have a Standard, NO Female Boxer, for you, if you already have a Female Boxer! Other breed of female dog, maybe? But Boxer girl and Boxer girl? They already know what is gonna happen?

Maybe two weeks' before all He$$ lose? And they will be lucky if they get there dog back? They have seen it before and they are done with trying to make that work. I have seen it. The "Detail's," are another story ... but "Full On Berserker Mode," is what can get invoked! And I saw it with my girl ie ... just one dog not two!

But girl on girl? Yeah "Good Luck," with that! Sigh ... even still, there are things one can do. But the best and safest advice if the two girl's are going to co-exist in the same home? Would be Crate and Rotate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your replies. I would like to say my other 12 1/2 year old female is a Springer Spaniel/ Cocker Spaniel mix. This is our 2nd female boxer that our Cocker/Springer has raised. We have had Lucy (the boxer) since she was 12 weeks old. She is getting more aggressive with every attack and I'm getting worried. I'm going to do the crate and rotate method until this heat is long gone but up until now, we have never had a problem with any aggression from the boxer. I will be seeking our vets opinion next week.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I’m pretty sure this problem will continue I’m sorry to say, some females are just worse than others about this kind of thing and maybe your first female Boxer just wasn’t the dominate kind. Dogs are like people they are all different to some degree. I hope I am wrong but I think you may be rotating dogs for awhile

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Thank you for all your replies. I would like to say my other 12 1/2 year old female is a Springer Spaniel/ Cocker Spaniel mix. This is our 2nd female boxer that our Cocker/Springer has raised. We have had Lucy (the boxer) since she was 12 weeks old. She is getting more aggressive with every attack and I'm getting worried. I'm going to do the crate and rotate method until this heat is long gone but up until now, we have never had a problem with any aggression from the boxer. I will be seeking our vets opinion next week.
I hope it goes well for you. Unfortunately once a female boxer becomes mature, they normally take the role as the alpha female in a household, which is why 2 females (even if spayed) do not normally get along and attacks will continue. There has been much heartbreak here on this forum of people getting two females and having this issue. Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Well you can of course seek advise from your vet. But Vet's are not "Dog Trainer's?" That is not what they went to school? Now if he "happen's to be a Boxer guy?' And had two female Boxers also? That is a bit different but I would doubt that is the case?

And you have three dog's and not two? Yeah I have first hand experience with this one. And I'll quote Leerburgh (GSD Guy) but it still applies. Two dog's are a Pair, three Dog's are a Pack! Things can change? Pack dynamics come into play? And it will usually be the two Alpha's, that come into conflict?

And I am going to guess, that in your household, the Cocker/Springer is the true Alpha? And if so ... she won't involved get with these two A-Hole's? She will let them sort it out? So she is not a factor. Amd as for why? Well the new girl does not care about dog number one, but she will not be dog number three? Now you don't see that ... but the dog's do!

And the whole of Boxer Rescue Policy, is no dogs to homes that already have a "Female Boxer (Full Stop!) Other Breed of Female Dog ... maybe? Your new girl does not care about the "Springer?" But she has a serious issue with the "Boxer," girl!

And I don't know? But usually the people that have dog's in conflict? All do the same things'. The dog's free roam the house, they get on the furniture at will and they sleep in bed with the owner ie not crate trained.

I wanted another White Boxer Girl, myself but my wife got us a Boxer/Pit Female? And to maybe make a "Female Boxer," work ... all I had to do was ... keep her the Crate, no free roaming and stay off the furniture? All stuff she already knew. It was a total fail for me! Bella was good in the Crate but I could not handle it? She spent exactly one night in the Crate without issue and I could not sleep, knowing she was in the Crate? So yeah ...

So I get it. But if you want to keep her and keep all dog's safe ... things' will need to change. Crate and Rotate is the simplest solution to keep all dog's safe. But does that mean one dog's life need's to change? Or all dog's lives need to change? I don't know?

I have more with stuff I think would work? And on here we do have or had a member BTE2 that is or was a member and he is a "Pro," and he says he has dealt with and solved this issue before? I don't know what he does and "Pro's," really don't say a lot about what they do ... exactly? Cuz you know they won't people or dog's getting hurt!

But I can guess some of what they do? But I do know he is in Tennessee. So if your near there and can afford him? That maybe another option?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts