Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxer Boone turns 2 in May. We got him when he was 9 months. He’s good with other dogs but has an issue when my son’s friends come over. He barks and chases the visitors (male or female) into the bathroom. He’s escalated from nipping at their heals to trying to nip hands. It tends to happen when I’m home and not when my son is home alone with friends over, so Boone is may think he’s “protecting” me. The older boxer I had before was dog aggressive but not aggressive towards people. Right now he’s not getting enough exercise, because of winter, but I’m at a loss as to what to do. I’m single so I want the protection in the event there is an intruder but even when the visitors give him treats he doesn’t back down. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Tough to know exactly what is going on without being there, if its aggressive or play.

Either way he should not be nipping, or chasing anyone in the house at 2. God forbid he bites and breaks the skin of a guest, you could be in a bunch of trouble. Police, homeowners insurance, lawsuit, animal control...etc. I would have him crated or in a room if he can't be controlled around guests. Also if you have some extra money, try to research and find a good trainer to work with you and the dog at home. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Most likely the others are correct and you should "seriously" consider, hiring a Trainer? Right now if you don't change, most likely just about everything your doing?? You should strongly consider "Rehoming" this dog before ...someone gets hurt! You can can contact a "Boxer Rescue" and offer to "Foster in place."

And if that is not a viable option for you ... your going to need make a "lot" of changes with what you do and how you live with this dog. But it's going to take "Commitment and a lot of Work. And it starts with "you" not making "Poor Choices" for your dog.

The goal of raising a dog "Properly," is to teach them to make "Good Choices." If your dog "considers " everyone as a threat?? Then he's not of much use for "protection."

Your dog looks to "you" for guidance and right now your "MIA." And while I am not a "Pro" I do have first hand experience with a dog that ... "did not much care for people!" :)

More than happy to share, but it is a lot of "Work." And it starts with "Walking your dog and teaching him to Ignore people!" And for ... please stop trying to trick people into his face with the use of treats! I never bothered with that crap myself because my GSD ... was faster than me! Just seemed like a bad approach to me?? If you keep it up however ... you'll most likely learn (or someone else will.) That a dog can take a treat, and still bite the crap out of someone!

One of the best in the business found that out while using "treats" with strangers with a class full of Malinois. Good enough for me, and it worked out fine.

Trust me I can go on and on. But for right now ... what you can do is.
1)Lose the treats and strangers bit.
2)Put the dog away when people come over.
3)And get an evaluation by a "pro" on the dogs true nature, he just might be a seriously out of control tool! I don't think they charge for an Evaluation??

Ok got more (tons) of what "you" can do if your willing, ... but gotta go.

Oh and me and "Rocky" my GSD ... this is our story.:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/399905-what-would-my-dog-do.html

And I learned lot's of stuff from him ... he was a great dog but unlike my Struddell (White Boxer) not to, uh fun of people. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think I need to clarify...especially seeing Chip18’s response, much of which was not applicable. Boone will not be 2 until May. I’m not rehoming my dog and I am getting a trainer. This isn’t a reflection of bad or no training. Matt74, I agree that we don’t know exactly what’s going on as it seems to border on play. I do crate him and when I walk him or have him in ANY OTHER SITUATION he’s friendly and playful with people. He is fine on leash and never shows aggression when I take him to work. He’s amazing with my teens. He likes to play rough but not what I would characterize as worrisome. My son lives in our converted garage so the people Boone responds to enter to the house through a different door than our front door. And it’s always at night. Once he gets used to the people who come over frequently, he’s fine. I was hoping this would be a forum where one could talk openly about issues and get real advice vs. being a place to blame and bully owners into thinking they are the problem. Nor to imply an owner is lazy and unwilling to put in the work required. It’s not helpful and not what I came here for 😞

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think I need to clarify...especially seeing Chip18’s response, much of which was not applicable. Boone will not be 2 until May. I’m not rehoming my dog and I am getting a trainer. This isn’t a reflection of bad or no training. Matt74, I agree that we don’t know exactly what’s going on as it seems to border on play. I do crate him and when I walk him or have him in ANY OTHER SITUATION he’s friendly and playful with people. He is fine on leash and never shows aggression when I take him to work. He’s amazing with my teens. He likes to play rough but not what I would characterize as worrisome. My son lives in our converted garage so the people Boone responds to enter to the house through a different door than our front door. And it’s always at night. Once he gets used to the people who come over frequently, he’s fine. I was hoping this would be a forum where one could talk openly about issues and get real advice vs. being a place to blame and bully owners into thinking they are the problem. Nor to imply an owner is lazy and unwilling to put in the work required. It’s not helpful and not what I came here for 😞
Ok, so it sounds like he is pretty protective of the home, cause it seems like every situation outside of that, there are no issues whatsoever. Not a bad thing per se, but it needs to be controlled. Thats why I was thinking a trainer, cause they would be able to tell what the triggers are.

I'm sorry if you felt my previous posts implied any of those things, I didn't think it did. I was just reacting to the chasing and kids hiding in a bathroom. I didn't want to see you have an issue if it was aggression. One of my friends neighbors bulldogs attacked someone and the police, animal control, and homeowners insurance all got involved, and I'm sure that has to be a giant headache. Didn't want to see that possibly happen to you, why I mentioned crating whenever visitors are there.

I'm sure a trainer will be able to help, it doesn't sound as concerning as your 1st post. Good luck and keep us posted on how its going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matt74 it wasn’t your post that was off-putting. I also should have said that my son is 21 and so are his friends. These are not children they are adult males 😬 Thank you for your reply. I feel like it’s a territorial thing, which still may be concerning, but not as concerning as a human aggressive dog. He jumps, but otherwise loves children of all ages.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Well thanks for the update. Fro your 1st post I believed these were young children playing in the house, you know kids going up and down thru hallways and such. Adults different situation and he maybe trying to engage play. Where I live everyone is "sue happy" when it comes to others dogs. I might leash him when people first are coming thru and make him sit of lie down until he settles. Then allow a "hello" on leash and once he does the meet n greet he may just go over resniff say hello and go about his own business. It sounds like he is just overly excited seeing new people.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
LOL ...naw Matt, of course it wasn't you. I'd be surprised if you've ever "ruffed feathers???" That's kinda sorta my thing ... still?? :)

To the OP ... sorry if I ruffed feathers?? Not my intent?? I must have missed the part where you stated ... these were adults and not kids??

"WE" can only go by what a given member states in a given situation?? And as such ... "re-homing" to a third party "before" an incident, is always a viable "option??" Clearly that is "NOT" the situation for you, and that is fine. But some "owners under stress??" Often don't consider "-re-homing" as a "possibility??"

They kinda sorta figure "if I can't solve my dogs problems, then you know "No one can" but hey PTS will! Sadly ... that happens all the time. Re-homecoming (before an incident) is a viable option and one I faced! And I "also" chose "NO ... that is not an option for me!" But I had to consider it and I did. Not "everyone" automatically understands that is an option??

I don't screw around with "Aggression with humans!" If your particular situation was/is not that serious?? Then perhaps you should not have used a "trigger word??" But whatever ... if you find no use for any advise ... I would have given ... no problem. Rest assured ... I won't "bother" you again. I will, simply give the "Standard Advise" given by those owners, of the the most likely number one breed prone to "Human Aggressive" ... "Find a Trainer."

Now of course based upon uh "thousands of tales of woe" of time and money poured down a rat-hole, in "trainers" that "Failed." I'd say ... "Good Luck" with that ... if you don't know what to look for in a "trainer?? But ... whatever, these days I have "Zero Interest" in helping members ... that don't find my advise useful, that would be silly??

So that said ... "Sorry If I often-ed??" Rest assured, that was "Not" my intent?? This is a great group and I'm sure there are plenty of members that can offer advise better suited to your "temperament??" The year is young ... and "Boxers" with "H/A" issues are fairly thankfully infrequent on here??

If you don't need my "advise" ... no problem, sooner or later ... someone will. That said ... "you" can rest assured ... I'll no longer post in your threads. Welcome Aboard" in any case and as the saying goes ... "I'm outta here." :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Boone is a handsome boy. My baby, Jax, has a black muzzle and is a brindle. He's starting to gray at around 5.5 years old. It's cute and hard to believe it goes so fast.

It sounds like maybe Boone is trying to play...but you know your dog best. If he responds well to most people, do you know if the one's running from him are either exciting him to think they are playing; or maybe afraid of dogs and he's picking up on it as something else?

Let us know how the training and other things you are trying works out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I perceive it as play/puppy behavior. He definitely plays a bit more on the aggressive side. He loves to mouth hands and growls a lot. So my feeling is he “plays rough” even when playing with his boxer sister. He loves my sons and really tries to get their attention when they are in the room. Again, people who enter through the front door are greeted with interest. People who enter through the garage door, rough play/“heeling” behavior. When my 7 and 4 yo nephew come over, he is happy and jumpy. Non-aggressive. Chip, I’m sure you mean well. I understand your advice. But the heavy quotes and blanket assumptions are off-putting. Especially the ones where you get defensive about listening to your advice. I guess it’s like the saying “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Advice given with compassion goes down easier than advice given with a harsh, accusatory tone.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Chip, I’m sure you mean well. I understand your advice. But the heavy quotes and blanket assumptions are off-putting. Especially the ones where you get defensive about listening to your advice. I guess it’s like the saying “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Advice given with compassion goes down easier than advice given with a harsh, accusatory tone.
Well "if I say I don't get defensive about people taking my advice?? Then ... I am being defensive about people taking my advice?? But I take your point. :)

But I can say that owners dealing with serious aggression issues, tend think I make a lot sense. But if your dogs not that bad? Then I suppose I can be a bit "harsh??" But my "moto" is "not one bite!" Lot's of ways to get there I suppose??

There is always the "Victoria Stilwell," approach to aggression issues, I suppose ... she tends to ruffle few feathers. At any rate, it's all good. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
My boxer Boone turns 2 in May. We got him when he was 9 months. He’s good with other dogs but has an issue when my son’s friends come over. He barks and chases the visitors (male or female) into the bathroom. He’s escalated from nipping at their heals to trying to nip hands. It tends to happen when I’m home and not when my son is home alone with friends over, so Boone is may think he’s “protecting” me. The older boxer I had before was dog aggressive but not aggressive towards people. Right now he’s not getting enough exercise, because of winter, but I’m at a loss as to what to do. I’m single so I want the protection in the event there is an intruder but even when the visitors give him treats he doesn’t back down. Thanks for any advice you can provide!
Does he back down when your sons male friends face him and confront him in a stern voice to quit or sit down? He might be jealous guarding you.
Is he treat motivated? If so try putting a treat bag outside, your sons friends can bring one in with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts