Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m new here and have a problem with my boxer. I rescued him last May and had no problems until recently. He’s a super sweet boy except to my other male dog. They used to be good friends and play together and now he attacks him every chance he gets. The first time it happened, it took me a few minutes to get to them and my other dog was covered in blood. I was terrified! I’m wondering if muzzling him or getting a shock collar will stop the behavior? Any suggestions will be helpful! I don’t want him to hurt my other dog. He’s already given me a few cuts and bruises from breaking them apart.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Definitely not an e-collar. Muzzling yes. That would be the 1st step so no more cuts on the other dog or yourself. Also keeping them apart.

This would probably be handled best by finding a good trainer who has handled aggressive dogs.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
OK ... as mentioned, just forget the "E -Collar," for this crap! It won't "fix it." And would most likely only make it worst! And the issue would be if you "Zap" the Aggressor ... he will "blame" that Correction" on the other dog??! The good news??? Is your dealing with two males, and not two females ... and two female's is a whole nother world of crap ,??if they don't get alone!

If you got this dog a year ago?? Then most likely there were a whole bunch of signs of "trouble brewing," That you missed?? I have been there done that and got the stitches, (for getting it wrong! ) So it's not just you. :)

Rules,Structure and Limitations is the answer. It's how these dog's, live day in and day out with you, in your home that "Will," make the difference! All "issues," start at home! It's pretty much that simple.

Rules/Structure and Limitations ,,, they don't have to "like" each other in your home ... but they do have to get along! And ... here I go again ... but I'm going to guess??? They ... Sleep in bed with you?? They get on the furniture at will?? And they "Free Roaming Indoor's," pretty much all the time indoors??

Rule ONE, of two dog's gone wrong, is you can't control a dog indoors ... if you don't know where they are??? Yeah I tried that ... it did not work! So as I oft say ... let me know how much of that ... I got right??

And "Trainer," or not?? There are "changes," in how you manage these dog, that you "must" make and they are pretty much those three things! Now I honestly ... can't say whether new rule's need to apply to one dog or both???

But "crap," needs to change in the home and ... right freaking quick! So let me know how much of this ... I got right and we can go from there. But in closing here is a clip from a "Pro," and that is not me ... I'm just JQP, that got uh carved up by my first working Line Over Sized GSD. LOL ... I learned stuff through the "School of Hard knocks! "

But here is a clip from ne of the trainer's that does "effectively," with this kinda crap and these days, he no longer ... does a Board Train for one dog! He deal's with the client's dog's ... in there home! Just saying.

PS and yes if you do truly know who the aggressor is ... put a muzzle on him. While you work on this crap. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
It is of my opinion that the average person can not fix dog aggression. It’s a tough one even for the professionals. When two dogs fight, they usually keep fighting.

I would strongly consider placing one as an only dog and be open and up front with any interested homes that he must stay an only dog.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
It is of my opinion that the average person can not fix dog aggression. It’s a tough one even for the professionals. When two dogs fight, they usually keep fighting.

I would strongly consider placing one as an only dog and be open and up front with any interested homes that he must stay an only dog.
LOL .. well you are absolutely correct of course. The "Average Pet Owner" can't fix this, on the other hand ... neither can a lot of so called Pro's?? :)

And the OP did not sign up for this kinda crap of course?? But if they want to fix this or make it better, they "will," have to "Up there game as it were." They did not sign up to become a Dog Trainer/Behaviourist ?? But that, is where they find themselves??? Granted ... I did jump the gun a bit (I often do admittedly.) My bad??

And yeah I skipped the first step ... "are you committed to keeping this dog??" Cuz, if nothing works, it could boil down to "Crate and Rotate for life" ... again, If "nothing works??? And JQP does not sign up for that?? Dog's are suppose to enhance our life's not bring us stress?? But sometimes in some home's with some dog's ... "Crap Goes Sideways," and we wind up deep in it as it were??"

So, yep I kinda skipped a step?? If the OP got this dog from a "reputable rescue group??" They can give the dog back. So yes, they are not stuck. Just call them ... tell them what is going on and offer to "foster in place," and the rescue will use its resources to find the dog a more suitable home.

That is a call ... I had to make myself and I could not do it. Despite five pack fight's a trip to the ER for stitches and Human Aggression ... following that (WL GSD aka Rocky??) "I" said ... screw it ... my dog, my problem ... I'll figure it out! And in the long run ... it worked out for us. And as they said "sometimes the dog's that challenge us most can turn out to be our best Dog ever." :)

And even now, well on 12 years from those days ... I still have a permanently bent little finger from breaking up a dog fight! Live and learn, so lesson one ... keep a drag leash on the troublemaker indoors (a short leash with no handle to get caught up on furniture) so if "crap goes sideways ... you can grab the leash and "not lay hands on the dog!"

But the OP said ... "I got the dog at 2 months and the dog's is 14 months now." And indicated that "crap has gone sideways" in the meantime. But ... they made no indication of being ready to bail?? They just want to know what to do??? I enrolled in the "School of hard knocks," myself?? And lesson number one ... indoor's ... you can't control a dog if ... "you don't know where they are???" And as a general rule ... most issues tend to happen in the owner's home???

Been there done that ... got the stitches. But all of that said ... your point is off course most valid! But my "mission," is to try and help those that can. They just need to know what to do?? And way back in the day ... I just "looked" for info (online) from those that "Could." Cuz "Find a Trainer," was not my style. So I looked "online " for trainer's that dealt effectively, with Dog Aggression and if it made sense to me ... well I'll do that. Worked out find and it was only years later after I had "solved" issues, Rocky's, "issues" that I became curious as to What "exactly," I had done to help Rocky, cuz it was "seemingly" without much effort ... that I had solved my "Rocky's" attitude issues??

And it was just by accident that I finally stumbled unto, Larry Krohn` and in one of his many lectures ,,, I heard him explain to me ... what I had done.??? To "fix" my Rocky ... seemingly without much effort?? Sometimes ... less is more. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts