Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello boxer people! I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

We adopted Leo about a month and a half ago and things have been mostly good - have had issues with submissive peeing, but other than that he's been a good addition.

Today, though, he was in our bay window watching squirrels and Bella, our first boxer, hopped off the couch and simply walked up to him to watch out the window. She didn't even touch him or anything and out of nowhere Leo FLIPPED. He turned around real fast and pinned her on the ground and starting attacking. I was nearby and saw it and luckily my boyfriend was right there to break it up. He did draw some blood on her lip but thank god the bite didn't go all the way through.

I'm pretty shook by the whole thing - had I been home alone idk that I would have been able to pull a 70 lb and 50 lb dog apart on my own :\

Just looking for any insight or suggestions! When we first brought him home he had a few instances where he growled at her pretty bad but that usually involved treats or toys which we've resolved, and he never actually bit those times. This time was just out of nowhere so I'm kind of at a loss. We don't want to take Leo back but I also don't want to danger Bella at all. We were also making a lot of progress with the submissive urination but now I'm sure after this episode it's gonna get real bad again :/

·
Registered
122 Posts
Back to square one. Nothing in life is free. He doesn't eat with her. The only food he gets comes from your hand. Make him sit before each bite.
He needs to learn respect. You can take it farther too if you like. Keep him in a crate, only let him out closely supervised. Make him earn his freedom.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
He redirected at her. It didn't come out of no where, you have seen several warnings of this type of behaviour. Personally, I would teach him to wear a basket muzzle ( slowly introduce this in a positive way)and I would tether him to you at all times. I agree with the NILF training but disagree with the crating. The crate is a positive place and shouldn't be used as a form of punishment.

Once he has settled into your home and has learned how to properly interact with you and your girl, you can try removing the basket muzzle more and more. He's still very new to you guys and obviously hasn't been properly socialized with other dogs. Remove triggers like chews and toys as well.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Uh oh, been there done that got the stitches! Except I was dealing with 85lbs of "American Band Dawg" and 116 lbs of Oversize Working Line GSD (newly adopted at the time) at 7 months old with no apparent issues?? 7 months later and it was on!?? Five fights and I wound up in the ER getting stitches from breaking up dog fights!

And yep the old "out of the Blue???" Bit and that happens because the dog is allowed to "Free Home" in the house and is freely given every opportunity to chose the time and place to make "poor choices."

Im so sorry that happened but now you better understand you have a "situation???" And yes a muzzle is a good idea but it's simply a tool and not a "solution." I used one and the way it worked for me ... I'd put the muzzle on for maybe a several hours and maybe a day or two?? A dog is not going to be muzzled for 24/7. Rocky would seem fine and sure enough ... there he goes again!

A muzzle is merely an aid ... it's not a solution. A "Crate" would be a "necessity" for this dog. When used properly it's not a punishment its a dog's safe place. And if you sent this dog to a "Board and Train" step one day one he would be "Crate Trained" and he would be "Corrected" for misbehaving in the "Crate!" If he shreds the bed ... fine he does not get one! Although there are "indestructible mats for dogs that do that.

But the dog needs to be "properly" Crate Trained and he needs to settle ... "or there will be consequences." So you did a "proper first step there" but got flack from the dog so you are considering bailing on the "Crate??" The dog needs more structure not less and a "Crate" is part of that.

And ... yet another lesson I learned first hand and I see pretty much all the time on the Germanshepardforum ... "the old my other dog thing." My other dogs did not do this, my other dogs did not need to be "Cart Trained" etc,e tc???"

Yeah that's a trap and if you get stuck there ... your gonna struggle and your other dog may pay for it??? But enough of the doom and gloom, the dog took you by surprise ... crap happens. But now you know ... it will take a much bigger effort on your part than you most likely expected to get this dog to fit in???

But there is a "process" and while it my "seem" a lot it's not difficult! But it will take work on your part and will mean this dogs life needs to "change right freaking now!"

To start that should be his last time on the couch ... for a very long time. And despite the problems, you've already taken the first step towards a solution! Stop and think, I got craved up before I figured that one out??

And when I "stopped" "being behind" my dog and started leading him ... it all fell into place for well "Round Two???"

So do some hard thinking, if you want to do this ... I would start over with this dog ..."Two Week Shutdown" most likely when you got the dog ... you did the "here's the couch, food and water and the remote .... make yourself at home thing??!" :)

That's what I did and it did not work out too well. Structure can be "flexible" for some dogs for others not so much. It's important for an owner to understand that difference and work with the dog in front of them.

Having said all of this the rest can be found here.:
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My 11 month old GS is crazy!

"The two shutdown" (where I would Start) can be found under the "New Dog a Challenge" thread.

And take note of "Place" and "Sit on the Dog" those are important techniques and a "necessity" for "this dog."

Kind of sorta a lot there so ask questions ... as I've already made all the usual mistakes for you, so you don't need to. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts