Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm to the forum and looking for some help. I didn't want to put this in my intro thread, so here goes..Titan my male un-neutered boxer, he is a 1 1/2yrs. He is a very loving playful dog. I have a 13 yr old female german shep. and 3 yorkies. He has no issue with them what so ever he actually loves the yorkies believe it or not..But Any other dogs he comes around he becomes very aggressive. We tried taking him to a dog park a couple weeks ago and I had him on the leash and harness and as soon as we got there and he saw another dog instant change in him. I don't know if its a protective thing or what. I would just like to be able to interact him with other dogs more his size so he can play more..Any suggestions or ideas...

Thanks

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I'm sorry, I really don't know.
It's not just excietment?  What's he doing?  Growling, barking?
Maybe talk to a behaviorist? :?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My guess is that he's not used to being around other dogs (other than the ones you have).  I know from our experience - we have a 6 year old pug, and a 6 MONTH old boxer - our pug never went to dog parks or was around other dogs, and she doesn't enjoy them too much...but we started taking our boxer to dog parks when he was about 4 months old - and he loves playing with all the dogs.

You may have to start exposing your dog to one or two dogs at a time in a controlled setting - such as a backyard.  But I'm no expert...hope you get it worked out!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There are some other similar posts on here.  Check them out as they relate to your current issue.  

Nano

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I would just say lack of socialization. Even though he's around your dogs he is used to them and knows they are there to stay too, so introducing them to new dogs that are out of the norm can be a challenge. I would say try to meet with a new dog one at a time. Also you should take him to the dog park after you've tired him out on a walk so that he doesn't have as much energy to convert into "aggression".

·
Registered
544 Posts
I completely agree with the other posts and highly recommend a behavioural trainer.  I have been working with my trainer for Templeton who has similar problems starting and I wanted to prevent any negative behaviour before it progresses out of control.  Although he's been well socialized Temp still becomes fixated on other dogs he may come across on walks or even at the with random dogs at the leash free park and becomes uncontrollable.  My trainer had me purchase a prong collar - I was completely against it at first but it works amazingly well when used properly.  Our goal overtime is to turn a prong around one at a time until all the spikes are pointing out instead of in. I am now able to make him sit and pay attention to me instead of demanding to see the other dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts