Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Talos has been to doggy day care a few times. All has been well. He loves it and gets very excited to go. We took him this Saturday so my husband and I could celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Upon picking him up we were informed that they had to remove him from the room for a while because he began showing aggression towards some of the other BIGGER dogs. He kept putting his front paws on their backs, attempting to pin them down and growling. We've never seen this behavior from him. I've got a call out to a trainer to help with this. We can't afford for him to get kicked out. It's a great facility and we need them for times when my husband has to go out of town for work.

Any suggestions in the meantime would be great!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So Talos has been to doggy day care a few times. All has been well. He loves it and gets very excited to go. We took him this Saturday so my husband and I could celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Upon picking him up we were informed that they had to remove him from the room for a while because he began showing aggression towards some of the other BIGGER dogs. He kept putting his front paws on their backs, attempting to pin them down and growling. We've never seen this behavior from him. I've got a call out to a trainer to help with this. We can't afford for him to get kicked out. It's a great facility and we need them for times when my husband has to go out of town for work.

Any suggestions in the meantime would be great!
Unless some one at the daycare is familiar with boxer behavior they might think its "aggression" when in reality he is just playing.

It could be either one, but Zuke plays with a boxer buddy who is very talkative(growls, barks, etc) and its just his way of playing. Boxers also use the front paws a lot in play. Zuke uses the paws but is silent. Never makes a sound. Lots of hopping, paw smacking etc.

Good idea though to talk to a trainer, preferably someone who has worked with boxers before.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was concerned about something similar about a year ago when we adopted a female boxer.

Our brindle alpha, Jax, is a talker/growler but has never bit another dog. He and the reverse brindle female played well together - she was also a talker/growler. In the beginning I was concerned about the noises and how they were playing. I found this site which helped and looked at other boxers playing on youtube.

We weren't able to keep the female due to our other male boxer (fawn, Tundra) whom she attacked on three separate occasions. We found out later the original owner gave her up because she would do the same to one of her dogs. She now has a great home as the only boxer and things worked out well for her and the new owners.

We learned during their time playing what was a play growl, and what is a 'leave me along' growl.

We now have a 4 month old male brindle (maybe reverse brindle) puppy who plays with both of our boys. They have been teaching the puppy how to play.

Tundra took a little time to realize the puppy was not going to hurt him, and now he too plays and 'talks' to Bandit, the puppy, while playing.

It reminds me of when Jax and Tundra were puppies and they would play- they either both lay on the ground, or one on the ground and one on the ottoman/couch, and they nibble at each other's face/ neck. To someone not used to this it can sound viscous and mean, but it's how they play. If I put my hand between them, they would stop and would not bite me.

Our boys will try to mount each other to show dominance at times. We watch for this since the puppy is so much smaller and could get hurt on accident. They don't do it often, but it happens.

They use their front paws a lot in playing, not trying to mount the other, but they put it on their back as part of playing.

I've never posted a video on here. I'll see tonight if I have a good one to post.

I hope it's only boxer play and you can get their confidence soon that your baby is only playing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another friend of mine who is a boxer owner says that her female also started playing this way around 6 months of age. Thank you both for making feel a little less worried. I mean it's obviously something I'm going to look into and follow up on. I was just so confused because we've never seen this from him at all. He's this constant bundle of butt wiggles and happiness. Even when we've seen him play with other dogs.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
This is nothing new ... it is in fact why they are called ...uh Boxers.

It is what they do, nothing is better than circling other dogs at high spend, hopping on then trying to knock them over and punching them in the face! QA lot of dogs don't much care for that kinda crap. Most likely Boxers and owners of GSD's are the top two in dog owners at Doggy Care asked to ... take your dog and not come back ... "thank you." :)

Based on this ... there is nothing wrong with your dog. Most doggy day cares are not looking for challenges ... Labs, Goldens and Beagle's make there life simple.

Generally speaking ... "working line Dogs" suck at the "Doggy Daycare thing??? Best advise ... is to just say no ... to doggy day care! But if you must ... then most likely, it's time to start hunting for another Day Care?? Look for a GSD trainer local to you that also does day care ... those guys won't be as lazy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is nothing new ... it is in fact why they are called ...uh Boxers.

It is what they do, nothing is better than circling other dogs at high spend, hopping on then trying to knock them over and punching them in the face! QA lot of dogs don't much care for that kinda crap. Most likely Boxers and owners of GSD's are the top two in dog owners at Doggy Care asked to ... take your dog and not come back ... "thank you." :)

Based on this ... there is nothing wrong with your dog. Most doggy day cares are not looking for challenges ... Labs, Goldens and Beagle's make there life simple.

Generally speaking ... "working line Dogs" suck at the "Doggy Daycare thing??? Best advise ... is to just say no ... to doggy day care! But if you must ... then most likely, it's time to start hunting for another Day Care?? Look for a GSD trainer local to you that also does day care ... those guys won't be as lazy.
Thanks Chip! I'm hoping with training we can minimize the behavior. We haven't gotten kicked out yet. Sadly it's the nicest of two daycare facilities local to me. The other I wouldn't let watch my worst enemy for a day. That place was terrible.

I'd love to say no daycare and it's not something we need often. My husband works from home so most of the time there is no issue. But on occasion he has to travel for work. I don't want to keep him crated all day while I'm at work. The days my daughter is off she can care for him but we have a few occasional days we don't have a choice.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The daycare may be concerned about how the other dogs might react to Talos' behavior even though it's not his intention to show real aggression. I think Boxer body language can confuse other dogs, and some avoid playing with them. I think it could also instigate an aggressive reaction from other dogs. I'd ask if any of this goes on around gates. An employee said that's a big issue at daycares.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
The daycare may be concerned about how the other dogs might react to Talos' behavior even though it's not his intention to show real aggression. I think Boxer body language can confuse other dogs, and some avoid playing with them. I think it could also instigate an aggressive reaction from other dogs. I'd ask if any of this goes on around gates. An employee said that's a big issue at daycares.
Boxer body language can confuse most "Doggy Day Cares."

Most seemly don't want to deal with it and they seemly ask you to take your dog and don't come back ... thank you very much ... problem solved. :)

I am not a doggy day care but I had to deal with it with Rocky my Wobble GSD and Struddell my Boxer. She thought bouncing off Rocky's back to knock him over was the next best thing since baked bread!!! Daddy ... was not amused!!

But we got there staying on top of her and lots of gentle, No and easy got it done! It was time consuming but I got it done. Most doggy day cares are not looking for challenges if your dog is an A-hole they just ask you to go and don't come back ... thank you very much.

Kinda like Labs, Goldens and Beagles welcome aboard "Working Line Dogs" find some place else! That is not what they say ... but it is what some of them do. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
We see this exact same behavior with our 12 week old puppy right now!! She loves to play with our little bitty Maltese/Poodle, but thankfully he is an aggresssive little guy and he loves chasing and playing with her. At first he could hop on her, but now she is much taller than him and jumps on his back :) He's had to change his strategy! It's really fun watching them play together and it looks rough but they really never hurt each other. We are blessed to be able to be home all day since I homeschool my girls and thankfully we have a great neighbor that is willing to let them out if we ever have to be gone for more than a few hours at a time. Do you have anyone around you that could do that? A neighbor who wouldn't mind coming over for thirty minutes to give Talos a break from his crate and some run around time??

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't have a good video of our boys playing like this, but will try to get one this weekend. I have some with them 'talking' to each other, but not w/ the paw on the back.

Jax does this a lot when I come home and he grabs his toy and wants Mom to play with him. When the others get a hold of the toy and he's trying to pull it back he'll do this pretty consistently- he does both actually, growl and put his paw up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We actually were denied from a day care today because Brody wasn't calm enough during a dog introduction :cry: He had a friendly "hi" but then was too excited and aroused when trying to play with the other dog. The other dog clearly did not want anything to do with him but Brody wouldn't give up. It was a total "play with me now" behavior. p.s. Brody is 15 months old.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to the trainer at doggy day care. She said that this is mostly an issue when it comes to the gate. She also said that she doesn't believe he is being "aggressive" at least not yet. She said she was very familiar with our pup and that he's over all very well mannered and she was impressed at how well he does sit and stay. She also said his behavior isn't so bad he's going to get the boot. She does recommend some training to curb this type of behavior though to keep him safe from other dogs snapping at him etc.. I felt 100% better about the situation after speaking with her. We're actually making arrangements to do some one on one training with her in the up coming days. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts