Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I have a 13 moth old boxer pup I’ve had him since he was 14 weeks old. For the past six months he has had “food aggression “ so now we give no snacks when him and my other dog are together but today I was eating and my boxer was near me and my other dog walked into the room and he charged her attacking her, I got him, started walking him outside and and he turned and bit me. Im Crushed , he is very attached to me so it shocked me that he turned his aggression on me. Any advice on how to break this behavior. He is very hyper ( as most boxers are) I had him neutered when he was 8 months old. He does need more obedience training for sure.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
This is not a good situation at all, the first thing that needs to happen is this dog needs to be removed from any situation where food is involved he should be fed in a room by himself and when you are eating he should be crated or away from the area, this is one big red flag and now that he has taken that step and bitten you its time to call in help of a good trainer not a fly by night. Obedience training will be helpful too it sounds like this dog has been allowed to be alpha in the house even over you. There’s nothing wrong with loving your dog but they always have to know they are not the boss in the house you are! Sometimes dogs will do small things to defy your authority some people don’t even notice this until it’s a huge problem you need to take back that authority i Urge you to get help for your sake and his and your other dog

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
So just my opinion, but the dog biting you in this scenario is not surprising. Its not personal, the dog was so amped up by the altercation with your other dog the brain isn't thinking its just lashing out. Plenty of people get bit breaking up two dogs. In saying that, I agree with Luvmiboxers, any time food is out, you crate and rotate the dogs. The dogs should not be free whenever there is food available. Also agree you should be looking into a highly recommended trainer.

Is it only food that triggers the aggression or does your boxer show any other signs of resource guarding? Toys, people, etc..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree , he definitely thinks he is the alpha dog I am working on getting a trainer as I write this. I know he was very excited at the moment, today he’s his playful little self but did take the suggestion of putting him out while I ate . Thank you for your help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 13 month old boxer with food aggression issues as well, so I can relate to what you're going through. A few suggestions - look for a dog behaviorist as opposed to a dog trainer, they are typically better equipped to handle more difficult cases. Second, make sure you dog is getting plenty of mental AND physical exercise. Typically behavior issues arise when these needs are not being met. Third, look in to the "Nothing in Life is Free" approach. It will not stop the food aggression, but it will help enforce you're role as the pack leader. Fourth, keep your dog crated while food is out. If for whatever reason you want to let him out while there is food, make sure you're setting him up for success (e.g., crate other dogs, keep food up high, etc.). Lastly, I agree with Matt74 and believe your dog was simply redirecting his anger/energy at you, so try not to take it personally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, so I have a 13 moth old boxer pup I’ve had him since he was 14 weeks old. For the past six months he has had “food aggression “ so now we give no snacks when him and my other dog are together but today I was eating and my boxer was near me and my other dog walked into the room and he charged her attacking her, I got him, started walking him outside and and he turned and bit me. Im Crushed , he is very attached to me so it shocked me that he turned his aggression on me. Any advice on how to break this behavior. He is very hyper ( as most boxers are) I had him neutered when he was 8 months old. He does need more obedience training for sure.
I'm sorry this happened to you! I am interested to know, is your dog 100% boxer or a mix?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you! I am interested to know, is your dog 100% boxer or a mix?
Yes he is full boxer , we did have DNA testing done on both of our dogs him mostly for health and they confirmed he was 100% boxer. The past week or so he has been doing a lot better since I’ve been putting him out back while eating and not giving him and my other dog treats together.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Well it really does not matter if the dog is 100% Boxer or a Mix? It's a "Dog, Thing," and this time "Breed Does not matter ," ... just saying.

Your dog thus far seems to be a "PIA?" But that does not mean that he can't , become the best dog you have ever had? You just have to "Up your game," as it were. Step one ... is "let it go!" Yes he bit you! Well yeah that suck's but you did say, you had to go to the ER, for stitches? So that is good?

All "problems start at home and how the owner lives with the dog." Now I don't know? But I would guess, that this dog is not Crate Trained? He free roams in the home? Hops on the furniture at will, free roams in the home during the day and is not that great on a Walk? Generally speaking, folk's that have dog's, with "issues," do tend to have all those traits' in common?

They can all be fixed as it were? But I don't know what the deal is?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it really does not matter if the dog is 100% Boxer or a Mix? It's a "Dog, Thing," and this time "Breed Does not matter ," ... just saying.

Your dog thus far seems to be a "PIA?" But that does not mean that he can't , become the best dog you have ever had? You just have to "Up your game," as it were. Step one ... is "let it go!" Yes he bit you! Well yeah that suck's but you did say, you had to go to the ER, for stitches? So that is good?

All "problems start at home and how the owner lives with the dog." Now I don't know? But I would guess, that this dog is not Crate Trained? He free roams in the home? Hops on the furniture at will, free roams in the home during the day and is not that great on a Walk? Generally speaking, folk's that have dog's, with "issues," do tend to have all those traits' in common?

They can all be fixed as it were? But I don't know what the deal is?
Yeah he sleeps in bed with us, I cannot walk him but he does pretty good with my husband. He is very attached to me I’m home with them all day , he seems to be very productive over me. I’ve changed things up a bit and things are going much better( except for today) he’s done very good.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Yeah he sleeps in bed with us, I cannot walk him but he does pretty good with my husband. He is very attached to me I’m home with them all day , he seems to be very productive over me. I’ve changed things up a bit and things are going much better( except for today) he’s done very good.
LOL, well truth be told, on a "Boxer Forum," those are loaded questions. Generally speaking as a "Breed," Boxers tend to let their owners get away, with a lot of "BS," that you simply can't allow with a "serious dog!"

The "Crate Thing," and the "sleeping in bed," with you? And the other things I listed ... are not my choice? Those are my "observations," based on years of observations and thousands of post. Show me an owner, that is struggling with serious, issues? And you will find that they have "broken," one if not all of the things I first listed?

If you talk with a competent, qualified Pro, they will ask, these questions. And or ask or mention something, like "All Issues Start At Home, And How The Owner, Lives Day In And Day Out With The Dog." Loose Structure in the home, tends to be the source of "All Issues," if you happen to have the "Wrong Dog/Puppy," for you? And that is not a "Breed Thing," it's a "Dog Thing." Some dog's are kinda easy (most Boxers) for the most part? And some Dog's ... not so much?

The "Free Rooming," the "Up on the furniture at Will," and the "Sleeping with you in your bed?" Are all "Rights," that a Dog ... "needs to earn by "Good Behaviour." But if you just give just to them, all those right's ... to the wrong dog, cuz he is your dog and stuff ... there can sometimes be "Blow Back?"

I have been there done that with the wrong Dog/Breed (my first Working Line GSD) uh not a Boxer? And he sent me to the "ER," for stiches (Pack Fight Thing.) But in the long run ... "We," got it done! And Rocky became my Greatest Dog ever. But yeah my "Boxer," Struddell was cuter. :)

Well I got more, but I am really big on background info, it would seem? And I tend to like the "Path of least resistance? But that would be another Post if you'd like? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL, well truth be told, on a "Boxer Forum," those are loaded questions. Generally speaking as a "Breed," Boxers tend to let their owners get away, with a lot of "BS," that you simply can't allow with a "serious dog!"

The "Crate Thing," and the "sleeping in bed," with you? And the other things I listed ... are not my choice? Those are my "observations," based on years of observations and thousands of post. Show me an owner, that is struggling with serious, issues? And you will find that they have "broken," one if not all of the things I first listed?

If you talk with a competent, qualified Pro, they will ask, these questions. And or ask or mention something, like "All Issues Start At Home, And How The Owner, Lives Day In And Day Out With The Dog." Loose Structure in the home, tends to be the source of "All Issues," if you happen to have the "Wrong Dog/Puppy," for you? And that is not a "Breed Thing," it's a "Dog Thing." Some dog's are kinda easy (most Boxers) for the most part? And some Dog's ... not so much?

The "Free Rooming," the "Up on the furniture at Will," and the "Sleeping with you in your bed?" Are all "Rights," that a Dog ... "needs to earn by "Good Behaviour." But if you just give just to them, all those right's ... to the wrong dog, cuz he is your dog and stuff ... there can sometimes be "Blow Back?"

I have been there done that with the wrong Dog/Breed (my first Working Line GSD) uh not a Boxer? And he sent me to the "ER," for stiches (Pack Fight Thing.) But in the long run ... "We," got it done! And Rocky became my Greatest Dog ever. But yeah my "Boxer," Struddell was cuter. :)

Well I got more, but I am really big on background info, it would seem? And I tend to like the "Path of least resistance? But that would be another Post if you'd like? :)
You are correct on most of it, my dogs don’t have free room of the whole house they have a few rooms are allowed in and only allowed on certain furniture Cooper my boxer does try to get away with jumping on the couch which is not allowed but he has corrected every time. My pitbull who I raise the exact same way is a wonderful dog she follows the rules she’s good on her training I guess they truly are like kids everybody is different. I do get a bit frustrated with him, he is like the unruly child. I have had dogs all my life and even showed dogs in 4-H for many many years and all the training I have done in the past doesn’t seem to work with him so I’m trying to take him back to Ground Zero and start a totally different training technique with him. I greatly appreciate your insight do you seem to know exactly what is going on.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
LOL, well first I am not laughing at you, to be clear. Clearly you are not a newbie. But the funny part for me (and most likely countless others) is the part where you say, " "My pitbull who I raise the exact same way is a wonderful dog she follows the rules .... " Yep been there done that and got the stiches?" (Breaking up Pack Fight's between my GSD and my Band Dawg (50% apbt/25% lab and 25% Bull Masstiff) and after that ... "Oh yeah ... I don't much care for people either! " Are you kidding me?? No Boxer involvement (Struddell my Boxer never got involved) with us boy's and our foolishness? It was a slow motion train wreck? It took months before I became aware I had a problem? And I De-Crate trained, Rocky which enabled this crap to start?

So back on point ... let's start there? The "Free Roaming Bit?" I get what you are saying? He does not goe in some rooms and he does not get to climb on all the furniture at will! QAnd for most "Boxer's/Dog's," that would be "Good Enough." But for this guy ... I would suggest it is not?

You say you want to start from ground Zero? But really you are not? No "Free Roaming," in the house, means "No Free Roaming in The House!" Your not having,"Pack Issues," so you have a break there. But your are not really start from Ground Zero? The off limit rooms, don't really mean anything to a dog? They want to be where you are anyway? When you are home.

No Free Roaming, is really "Hard Core!" The Dog's life has to change! No "Free Roaming," indoors ... means at any given time "you know where the dog is "Exactly," at any given moment! If he is "indoors?" He is in his "Crate," if he is not ... he is in "Place!" Which I have not explained and has to be "trained," but is "Huge!" Or he is outside, but that is it.

And the Crate thing? Well that is what would happen ... if you sent him to and board and train or re-homed him to someone that "knew what they were doing."The "issues," that you are dealing with, they would most likely never see? And a competent "Pro," that could actually help you .... "would tell you, that if your not going to "Crate," your dog ... "they can't/won't help you!"

The "Crate," is about establishing "Rules and Discipline," and "who is in charge!" The dog does "nothing," without your say so. Dog's understand "Rules and Structure, they will "Default to what they know." And if the owner does not establish the "Rules of Behaviour?" Then the dog will?

No "Free Roaming," indoors ... would me "No Free Roaming Indoors." Your issues "Right Now," are not as bad as they could be? So that is good! But "No Free Roaming, indoors?" In the strictest sense means just that. You know where the dog is "Exactly," all the time?

If the dog is indoors? He is in his "Crate." Or once "Trained indoors," he could be in "Place." (I have not got to that yet. Or if he is "not' indoors ... he is outside. That's it, if he is indoors he is in "Place (once trained) or in his "Crate!" And that is it ... end of story. You don't give you him the opportunity t," o "make poor choices?" :)

Right now he has limited his bad behaviour thus far to "Food Aggression?" That is bad enough, but the next step ... would be attacking your "Pitty?" Out of the Blue? And that is how "owners get hurt!" You NEED, to claim his, ASS down now! As bad as my GSD was, he never went after my Baby Girl?? That would have been a step to far for me! No One "F'S" with my girl's!

But that never happened? Rocky did send me to the ER, for stitches when I got in the way of him going after my Band Dawg? But hey a "Guy thing." But in the long run ... we became a team, he was a Great Dog! He save me, when I was defending him from two charging dog's and slipped on the ice. But that is another story. :)

But the "Crate thing?" Well that is a really big deal? You say, your starting from ground "Zero," but what is different?
I think you have to start with "Crate,Training" so the dog knows ... something is different now? And yes I get the Crate thing. Sigh I could not do it myself ... My Bella (Boxer/Pit) had spent her first two years of life in a Crate for 8 to 12 hours a day! That is why and how we got her. So the Crate was nobig deal for her? But it was to much for me? We had to do the Crate thing for two or three nights cuz I have Cat's. Got over that and after that ... come night time I told her "Kennel Up." And she was good with that. But me ... I could not handle it! She was fine and I could not sleep ... knowing she was the crate! Sooo now knowing the my Cat's were safe, she uh sleeps with me. :)

So yeah ... still, I did "Crate her," as long as necessary "three day's in my case." Most likely it would be two to three months for you? And that would be tough on you both? But in the long run ... it would be for the best? Pro's tend to "Crate," there dog's for two years? So there is that. And this is a "Boxer Forum," and by and large only a handful of members here Crate there dog's? But most of those dog's are "not," doing what your dog is doing ... the "Food Thing." So there is that. I still got more ... but details you know. )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He is not allowed in certain rooms because that’s our cats rooms, I have his His crate out I’ll dust it off I’ll have my husband bring it in the house and see how our first day goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So let’s go back to the beginning where I started messing up with him so other dogs owners with “reactive dogs” can maybe learn from my mistakes. When he was little I would walk him twice daily to the park he was very good on a leash for me then I made the mistake of putting a long lead and a harness on him because I thought it would be good to let him roam around while we were walking that was a huge mistake as he got bigger it became harder for me to walk him I would put his collar back on him but he still would pull for me and since I have some balance/mobility issues it became too much of a challenge for me to walk him alone. Another thing I did wrong was I would never leave him alone if I went somewhere he went somewhere so that intern made him have separation anxiety and be very attached To me. And now I believe he misbehaves with me because he sees me as one of the pack and not the pack leader, so looking back I see where I went wrong with him my other dog is fine but it’s just his mentality. Having two dogs that a year and a half old they could not be more different from one another but I love them both dearly and I clearly know I am the one who needs to be retrained to make my dog a better dog.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I’m am glad you have recognized the mistakes you made with training too often people blame the dog when in fact it’s their fault the dogs behavior is not what they want. The harness thing is very common, it never occurs to people harnesses are made for pulling there are some anti pulling harnesses out there it seems not many work unless you address the dogs behavior first. Your dog is fixable so just keep at it i have two dogs as well they get along well never fight over food or toys or anything not because they are doggie angels (they are to me) but because they know I am in charge neither one of them are. Dogs test their owners in little ways first when you tell them to do something like get down or no they should be made to follow thru repeat the command till they comply. I have not used crates on either of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m am glad you have recognized the mistakes you made with training too often people blame the dog when in fact it’s their fault the dogs behavior is not what they want. The harness thing is very common, it never occurs to people harnesses are made for pulling there are some anti pulling harnesses out there it seems not many work unless you address the dogs behavior first. Your dog is fixable so just keep at it i have two dogs as well they get along well never fight over food or toys or anything not because they are doggie angels (they are to me) but because they know I am in charge neither one of them are. Dogs test their owners in little ways first when you tell them to do something like get down or no they should be made to follow thru repeat the command till they comply. I have not used crates on either of them.
He was in the creat about 15 min yesterday while I showered, it did not go well for either of us. He had lots of play time and some alone time yesterday he seemed to be very calm last night, we are still giving no ”table scraps “ now I just say no and he walks away if he’s in when there is food. I have been putting him outside and that has worked like a charm. I appreciate all the suggestions/ replys.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Well that is a good move (understanding what went wrong?). I did the same with my Human Hating, Pack Fighting A-Hole of a GSD! And my biggest challenge, after he attacked my Band Dawg Five times and sent me to the ER for stitches in my hand ... for getting in the way! Was letting the past Go! It was a "Effort," but I did it. And from there, it was just a matter of figuring out what to do? I "figured it out?" But it was "seemingly," without to much effort ... and it took me years to understand what I had done?

And then one day "Online," I found a trainer, that I pretty much accidentally worked like? He deals with lots of Dog Aggression Cases. You have two choices, you can address the "issue directly," to stop it? Or you can address the issues "indirectly," and the "Bad Behaviour," just "Disappears," or at the least becomes much more manageable. What you say ... matters! I'll get back to that.

But I want to say ... the "Crate Thing?" Well you don't really have to do that, I feel. But the "Pro's" that can actually help with uh "difficult dog's," would "Crate Them!" Full Stop ... but if you chosse not to you don't have to. But understand that "Rehabbing," without the use of a "Crate," will take more time. And "Time. is Money!" But hey I am not a "Pro." So I have as much time as it takes to fix my dog, soo ... just saying. But starting over would really look alot like this ... The Two Week Shutdown.

bamabully.org/two-week-shutdown

Now that alone would make a "Hugh," step forward! But ... it still (I don't think) makes up for what I view as your "biggest mistake?" It all started to go "sideways," months ago. When you put that "Harness On Him!" A Harness, engineering aside. Is designed for a Dog to pull! And trust me if you'd said months ago you were gonna use a "Harness?" I'd have had a cow!

The Crate is helpful but it's not neither here nor there? But ... until "you" can, Walk him ... One on One just you and him in silence (Keep your mouth shut, save for Sit/Stay and the occasional Good Boy) Your progress will be limited.

With my problem child "GSD," that (walking him) is what I finally started to do. I had three dog's at the time and I lve in NV, lot's of free space ... so I never really walked him, cuz you know why bother? But then he lost his freaking mind at around 12 to 14 months or so ... Not Uncommon? And if I was gonna keep him (and I was) I had to do "something?" So long story short ... we walked. And that really pissed "Struddell Off!" But it had to be done.

Now I really did not thing I was doing special? And then one day ... this happened.:

Ok well that was a surprise? But what had I done exactly? And then one day after a couple of years ... I found the answer. When I stumbled across "Larry Krohn."

I'll look cuz I have a lot of post on how to do a Proper Structured Walk on a loose leash," on here. The kennel is kinda sorta optional? You can train "Place," instead to replace it ... during the day anyway to replace it (I have not covered that yet. But the way is a must! My current dog Bella a Boxer/Pit, sigh is my worst trained dog? And it is me not her. I was exhausted after my GSD. So ... while she can walk well, on a loose leash. I really don't do that? She get's to run around "Hog Butt Wild," most of the time off leash. But she is only dog and is people safe?

My GSD had to be under control, all the time. Cuz he had "people issues?" My Boxer/Pit ... not so much? She actually likes people? So I did get kinda of lazy with her ... my bad? But she knows "Place," so out and about and at home ... I will/can use "The Place Command,"to clamp her "Boxer Crazy," down when I chose to.

She is certainly not my best trained dog ever but hey ... "Good Enough." :)

Oh and the "Hiding the Cat's?" I am not really a fan of that approach? We can change that also with "The Place Command," most likely? The Cat v Dog thing ... yeah I am very,very good with that. There is only one Rule .. "The Dog never chases the Cat!"

We can work on that later but take a look here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts