Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Chip I really appreciate all of your insight. Really! I love both my dogs and my cats and he is not the problem I am, I’ve created this mess and now I will do all I can to fix it and in the end I know it will be worth it, he is my baby and always by my side!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well that is a good move (understanding what went wrong?). I did the same with my Human Hating, Pack Fighting A-Hole of a GSD! And my biggest challenge, after he attacked my Band Dawg Five times and sent me to the ER for stitches in my hand ... for getting in the way! Was letting the past Go! It was a "Effort," but I did it. And from there, it was just a matter of figuring out what to do? I "figured it out?" But it was "seemingly," without to much effort ... and it took me years to understand what I had done?

And then one day "Online," I found a trainer, that I pretty much accidentally worked like? He deals with lots of Dog Aggression Cases. You have two choices, you can address the "issue directly," to stop it? Or you can address the issues "indirectly," and the "Bad Behaviour," just "Disappears," or at the least becomes much more manageable. What you say ... matters! I'll get back to that.

But I want to say ... the "Crate Thing?" Well you don't really have to do that, I feel. But the "Pro's" that can actually help with uh "difficult dog's," would "Crate Them!" Full Stop ... but if you chosse not to you don't have to. But understand that "Rehabbing," without the use of a "Crate," will take more time. And "Time. is Money!" But hey I am not a "Pro." So I have as much time as it takes to fix my dog, soo ... just saying. But starting over would really look alot like this ... The Two Week Shutdown.

bamabully.org/two-week-shutdown

Now that alone would make a "Hugh," step forward! But ... it still (I don't think) makes up for what I view as your "biggest mistake?" It all started to go "sideways," months ago. When you put that "Harness On Him!" A Harness, engineering aside. Is designed for a Dog to pull! And trust me if you'd said months ago you were gonna use a "Harness?" I'd have had a cow!

The Crate is helpful but it's not neither here nor there? But ... until "you" can, Walk him ... One on One just you and him in silence (Keep your mouth shut, save for Sit/Stay and the occasional Good Boy) Your progress will be limited.

With my problem child "GSD," that (walking him) is what I finally started to do. I had three dog's at the time and I lve in NV, lot's of free space ... so I never really walked him, cuz you know why bother? But then he lost his freaking mind at around 12 to 14 months or so ... Not Uncommon? And if I was gonna keep him (and I was) I had to do "something?" So long story short ... we walked. And that really pissed "Struddell Off!" But it had to be done.

Now I really did not thing I was doing special? And then one day ... this happened.:

Ok well that was a surprise? But what had I done exactly? And then one day after a couple of years ... I found the answer. When I stumbled across "Larry Krohn."

I'll look cuz I have a lot of post on how to do a Proper Structured Walk on a loose leash," on here. The kennel is kinda sorta optional? You can train "Place," instead to replace it ... during the day anyway to replace it (I have not covered that yet. But the way is a must! My current dog Bella a Boxer/Pit, sigh is my worst trained dog? And it is me not her. I was exhausted after my GSD. So ... while she can walk well, on a loose leash. I really don't do that? She get's to run around "Hog Butt Wild," most of the time off leash. But she is only dog and is people safe?

My GSD had to be under control, all the time. Cuz he had "people issues?" My Boxer/Pit ... not so much? She actually likes people? So I did get kinda of lazy with her ... my bad? But she knows "Place," so out and about and at home ... I will/can use "The Place Command,"to clamp her "Boxer Crazy," down when I chose to.

She is certainly not my best trained dog ever but hey ... "Good Enough." :)

Oh and the "Hiding the Cat's?" I am not really a fan of that approach? We can change that also with "The Place Command," most likely? The Cat v Dog thing ... yeah I am very,very good with that. There is only one Rule .. "The Dog never chases the Cat!"

We can work on that later but take a look here.

These are GREAT training videos THANK YOU

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Sorry, I got behind here and a bit pressed for time. But the "Cat,' thing was a Surprise for me? I was a Cat guy long before I became a dog guy. My first puppy came into a home with 14 or so cat's? I was a Cat Rescue guy ... but I was better at keeping them, then rehoming them. my bad?

But for right now ... don't worry about it. For right now, just keep doing what you are doing and keep your Cat, safe. Messing that one up? Could be life and death! It's a whole nother topic. Which we can address in a few months' after you start working on your guy.

Dog's default to "known trained behaviour." Telling them to do something (they know) Down/Sit/Place, usually works better than No, No, No! But of course there are always exceptions?

My Struddell (Boxer) understood "NO," as a command! No meant Stop, whatever it is your doing and don't do it again! She got that. I said Struddell NO, so often that I feared she would think Struddell NO, was her name? But she did not think that? I learned later on from a Mal Trainer on
Germanshepardforum ... that NO can be an actual command? But sigh that was Struddell, it certainly does not work with my current girl Bella (Boxer/Pit) ... to much pig heade and stubborn in one dog? I don't know?

But moving on, three things can change your dog's "mind set."
1) Walk your dog
2) Train the "Place Command."
3) Sit on the Dog

Number one seems simple enough? But it is hugh, a "Proper Structured Walk," is not about Exercise? It's about building a Bond of Trust, between you and your dog. And one needs to use the proper tool to "Walk There Dog." And first and foremost (in my opinion) would be the a SLL. Or more commonly know as the British Slip Lead Leash.

It works quite well, and if you do Animal Rescue ... they will hand you one. But it is also kinda "tricky to use." And most rescue groups (have no idea how it's used?) But that is what they use. I have a thread on it's proper use. :)

Next on the list would be a "Prong Collar," and when "fitted and used properly," a "Prong Collar," won't hurt your dog! And it really takes very little time to master. One session with a "Pro," (usually) and anyone can use it. The SLL, LOL, well I suck as a trainer "Apparently?" The proper use of that tool, is not a skill set that is easily transferable? It can be used as a Rapier or Broadsword depending on what you do.

And I will add sigh a "Martingale Collar." It's not really a training tool as such? But if you manage "conversational leash work," right? A Martingale and a Flat Leash ... can work just fine.

So have a look here to start.:

And how a Prong Collar should be fitted is here.

And of course if your really,really good all you need is a regular collar and a flat leash. If you can use that (depending on the dog) then a SLL is nothing to transition to? The first time I ever used a SSL, was Rescue Day event with a Fear of People Boxer that (they claimed pulled!)

Aww well Nother story but I had a great time with him ... he was great! But at the end of the day, when I gave him back to his Foster? Yep he (still pulled like a freight train?) Dog's know what they can get away with and with whom? A Pro could walk your walk, your dog just fine ... inside of 15 minutes. And that is not about you.

long story very short, you put the leash on and wait the dog out (if he tries to pull) as soon as they figure out ... this is not working ?? They tend to stop, sit and look up to you to see what to do? And you'd look down and say "OK." And then, things' are different. :)

Number two, this one is really Hughe! This one goes a very long way towards changing a dog's "mind set?" Every trainer that deal's with dog's with uh ... "Difficult Dog's." Train's the "Place Command." And "Place," once properly trained ... works anywhere! My Bella sigh A-Hole that she can be ... not my best work. Knows "Place," I just point and say "Place!" And walk away, and she won't move until I call her. I have told her "Place," on Boulders,Tree Stumps and Picnic Tables and walked away (out of site) and she won't move until I call her. :)

And Bella is my worst behaved dog? She get's away with a lot of "bad dawg," crap ... but I was tired after my Rocky passed and you know if you don't have to worry about your dog attacking people some (Wl GSD's)? and he never did. But back to "Boxer, World" and my dog likes people, normal dog stuff, so Bella is not that bad? :)

Anyway The Place Command.

And Tylor Muto as well as everyone else uses a "Place Cot." Larry Khron likes to use a half of an upside down Kennel. A raised surface does make the command easier to understand.

Hmm Ok that is a it much? I should be doing that! Anyway once the dog knows and understands the command ... you can use "Place," anywhere! Shower time for instance instead of a "Crate," you can use "Place on a Bath Mat," once trained. Now maybe I should not have told you that? But I did. :)

But about "Two Weeks," of dedicated work for a hour or two a day and your dog will know and understand "Place!" And if you really, really want to press it a "properly trained Place Command is Two hours ... with the owner out of site! Now that is a really really tough test! I never did that ... but I did tell my GSD "Place," in a tunnel ... while I went shopping for 45 minutes and when I climbed back down ... he was still right where I had told him to be! Yeah he was a lot of work but he was an awesome dog! :)

And finally this one. And it is so subtle, that it is really hard to see how you are doing anything? But I did with a rescue a "Fear of People," that I just met at a rescue event for the first time. (A Back story there) and it worked! So I just chalk it to a "thing to do!"

So number 3 Sit On The Dog
How to Sit on the Dog (Leash) - DreamK9.com

It's a very old techinique. But it works.

And an article as to why.

So for me anyway ... these are basic things I always do, with any dog I get. And I can say that if you "show me a dog, that is showing Aggressive Issues? That is a dog that can not do or does not know any of these things. That never happens? Ask questions and Good Luck with your dog ... you can do this. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a almost a 4 year old American boxer named Zeus, I have almost a 3 year old German boxer named zena. She is a resource guarder with her toys and we have managed that. Recently 2 days ago, I put her food bowl down first because they have tummy issues and I was making sure she didn’t vomit in the morning. Zeus came from outside and went to sniff her and she attacked him. We were able to separate them easily, they were fighting in the air, side mouthing and fighting, not biting down on one another. Now, for the past couple days when we are making their food, she has shown aggression towards him! Not us at all, just Zeus. We have now put her in the crate to eat and when we make the food. Zeus stays out of the crate to eat. I am getting a behaviorist involved and a trainer asap. Is this the right thing to do , or should I put her in a room and not the crate? Or should I put them both in the crate? He is not the aggressive one, he is scared to eat now because of her. He is 86 pounds and she is 60. They are big dogs. She has always been a little more aggressive then him in general due to being a female and almost pure German boxer. Am I doing the right thing?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have a male and a female as well the are predominately euro lines. I have had no problem with this at feeding time I put their food down and sit between them take the bowls up when done. And by the way my male outweighs my female by about 30 lbs but she is the boss! If I were you I would feed them in different rooms maybe babygate one in the kitchen one in another room

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
So she is German and he is American. She is the boss and I believe we haven’t made it that way and she is trying to establish that.
You need to let that go. It doesn't matter where she is from. From one of my Books on Boxers it states ... "Rare Among Dog's with the Boxer Breed, the Female is the Dominant Sex." Now being German mostly more so? But my 100% all American Girl, kinda sorta pushed the boy's around at home? She was 65 lbs my Band Dawg was 85, and my GSD was 113 lbs. But out and about Stru deferred to the Boy's. That is not your problem, it just makes it more apparent.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sorry, I got behind here and a bit pressed for time. But the "Cat,' thing was a Surprise for me? I was a Cat guy long before I became a dog guy. My first puppy came into a home with 14 or so cat's? I was a Cat Rescue guy ... but I was better at keeping them, then rehoming them. my bad?

But for right now ... don't worry about it. For right now, just keep doing what you are doing and keep your Cat, safe. Messing that one up? Could be life and death! It's a whole nother topic. Which we can address in a few months' after you start working on your guy.

Dog's default to "known trained behaviour." Telling them to do something (they know) Down/Sit/Place, usually works better than No, No, No! But of course there are always exceptions?

My Struddell (Boxer) understood "NO," as a command! No meant Stop, whatever it is your doing and don't do it again! She got that. I said Struddell NO, so often that I feared she would think Struddell NO, was her name? But she did not think that? I learned later on from a Mal Trainer on
Germanshepardforum ... that NO can be an actual command? But sigh that was Struddell, it certainly does not work with my current girl Bella (Boxer/Pit) ... to much pig heade and stubborn in one dog? I don't know?

But moving on, three things can change your dog's "mind set."
1) Walk your dog
2) Train the "Place Command."
3) Sit on the Dog

Number one seems simple enough? But it is hugh, a "Proper Structured Walk," is not about Exercise? It's about building a Bond of Trust, between you and your dog. And one needs to use the proper tool to "Walk There Dog." And first and foremost (in my opinion) would be the a SLL. Or more commonly know as the British Slip Lead Leash.

It works quite well, and if you do Animal Rescue ... they will hand you one. But it is also kinda "tricky to use." And most rescue groups (have no idea how it's used?) But that is what they use. I have a thread on it's proper use. :)

Next on the list would be a "Prong Collar," and when "fitted and used properly," a "Prong Collar," won't hurt your dog! And it really takes very little time to master. One session with a "Pro," (usually) and anyone can use it. The SLL, LOL, well I suck as a trainer "Apparently?" The proper use of that tool, is not a skill set that is easily transferable? It can be used as a Rapier or Broadsword depending on what you do.

And I will add sigh a "Martingale Collar." It's not really a training tool as such? But if you manage "conversational leash work," right? A Martingale and a Flat Leash ... can work just fine.

So have a look here to start.:

And how a Prong Collar should be fitted is here.

And of course if your really,really good all you need is a regular collar and a flat leash. If you can use that (depending on the dog) then a SLL is nothing to transition to? The first time I ever used a SSL, was Rescue Day event with a Fear of People Boxer that (they claimed pulled!)

Aww well Nother story but I had a great time with him ... he was great! But at the end of the day, when I gave him back to his Foster? Yep he (still pulled like a freight train?) Dog's know what they can get away with and with whom? A Pro could walk your walk, your dog just fine ... inside of 15 minutes. And that is not about you.

long story very short, you put the leash on and wait the dog out (if he tries to pull) as soon as they figure out ... this is not working ?? They tend to stop, sit and look up to you to see what to do? And you'd look down and say "OK." And then, things' are different. :)

Number two, this one is really Hughe! This one goes a very long way towards changing a dog's "mind set?" Every trainer that deal's with dog's with uh ... "Difficult Dog's." Train's the "Place Command." And "Place," once properly trained ... works anywhere! My Bella sigh A-Hole that she can be ... not my best work. Knows "Place," I just point and say "Place!" And walk away, and she won't move until I call her. I have told her "Place," on Boulders,Tree Stumps and Picnic Tables and walked away (out of site) and she won't move until I call her. :)

And Bella is my worst behaved dog? She get's away with a lot of "bad dawg," crap ... but I was tired after my Rocky passed and you know if you don't have to worry about your dog attacking people some (Wl GSD's)? and he never did. But back to "Boxer, World" and my dog likes people, normal dog stuff, so Bella is not that bad? :)

Anyway The Place Command.

And Tylor Muto as well as everyone else uses a "Place Cot." Larry Khron likes to use a half of an upside down Kennel. A raised surface does make the command easier to understand.

Hmm Ok that is a it much? I should be doing that! Anyway once the dog knows and understands the command ... you can use "Place," anywhere! Shower time for instance instead of a "Crate," you can use "Place on a Bath Mat," once trained. Now maybe I should not have told you that? But I did. :)

But about "Two Weeks," of dedicated work for a hour or two a day and your dog will know and understand "Place!" And if you really, really want to press it a "properly trained Place Command is Two hours ... with the owner out of site! Now that is a really really tough test! I never did that ... but I did tell my GSD "Place," in a tunnel ... while I went shopping for 45 minutes and when I climbed back down ... he was still right where I had told him to be! Yeah he was a lot of work but he was an awesome dog! :)

And finally this one. And it is so subtle, that it is really hard to see how you are doing anything? But I did with a rescue a "Fear of People," that I just met at a rescue event for the first time. (A Back story there) and it worked! So I just chalk it to a "thing to do!"

So number 3 Sit On The Dog
How to Sit on the Dog (Leash) - DreamK9.com

It's a very old techinique. But it works.

And an article as to why.

So for me anyway ... these are basic things I always do, with any dog I get. And I can say that if you "show me a dog, that is showing Aggressive Issues? That is a dog that can not do or does not know any of these things. That never happens? Ask questions and Good Luck with your dog ... you can do this. :)
Thank you for all this information, I do use a martingale collar now he’s actually been doing a bit better I’ve been working with him in the yard and while my husband is home we are taking them for walks it’s slow but it’s working and that’s all I care about I will take all the Time in the world with him.My kitties do free roam the house but I have baby gates up so the dogs can’t get into their rooms and that honestly is the only time I’ll smack Cooper is if he tries to go after one of my cats he knows if I takeoff my slipper he’s in trouble lol

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Aww man your trying to sidetrack me with the cat's? :)

There is nothing (exactly wrong) with the slipper approach but, that implies the Dog has "Started to chase the cat?" That is what we don't want. A chase "could," kick in "Prey Drive?" And that is where there can be "issues." We don't/ever want that to happen.

It is "really, really," another thread? And I am not saying your approach is wrong? But as a cat guy first, when "I," started getting into the "Doggy," thing ... I did not want my Cat's to have to change their lives in anyway because I wanted dog's?

SIgh ... you really, really don't want to get into Cat, psychology? I can train Dog's but "apparently," I am better at dog "Behaviour than Dog Training?" Yeah there is a lot of "overlap," but there is a difference?

Tick the Cat off and you enter "Joe Galaxy," world ... the Cat Guy. :)

But just a note ... the "Three, thing's" I explained can also ... make your "Dog," Cat relationship "Expectable." No more baby gates. And Number Two (I think?) the "Place Command" can do that but no chasing in the meanwhile.

Leerburgh used to have a Youtube Clip with a Dobbie and a Cat? But it is gone now? He seems to be using Muzzles and E-Collars and ton's of Crap now ... whatever?

But back in the day and it still's works, what he showed was a Dobbie on a Blanket in the room and dog was in Place! No E-Collar, No Leash and a Dog Friendly Cat, that was free to do whatever he wanted. So the Cat would play with the dog and jump on him and bounce about and do Cat Dog friendly Dog stuff. And when the cat was done having he fun ... he would leave the "Blanket/Place" area. The Dog was free to engage the Cat as long as the Cat wanted to play ... but if the Cat steeped of the Blanket ... Game Over. Now "Place," is not a permanent thing but very useful ... and that is how Cat's and Dog's can learn, they are safe with each other. No chasing. :)

I actually wanted to talk about the "walking thing," but I got distracted ... but hey I'll try again in a bit. :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts