Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 month old male boxer, Rough & Tough, has been going to the dog park for about 6 months now and day camp once a week for the same. For the past couple of months when we go to the dog park he will be through the gate and have another, smaller dog pinned to the ground as he snarls. I have asked the day camp counselors about his behavior and they say he plays a little rough but he is only playing, he has never snarled there. At the park when he gets like this I pull him off the other dog and do a "mommy hold" place him on his side and grab the scruf of his neck and hold him there until he is calm. He will then get up and do it again. Does anyone have this problem or any experience with it ??????? He is a very loving and playful boy at home with me but I would love to have him keep going to the bark park.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I wish I could help but really don't know.  Did he have a bad experience there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has not had a bad experience there before his acting out, since his acting out he has chosen to pick on the wrong dog but there was never a long drawn out fight. I try to stay really close to him in the event that he needs discipline. I try to be responsible and not let other dogs get hurt. Its not every time he does this but its getting to be more often than not. My sister has a brittany spaniel and they are the best of friends, they really love each other and when they are at the park together they focus on each other and there are no problems, they do not have problems either when they are together.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Has he been to an obedience class?  You might get some ideas from the instructor; I know that the one we had gave us her phone number in case we had some questions or problems.  Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has been to obedience class, 2 separate sessions and I have spoken to the instructor and she told me to keep doing what I was doing.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I work with a behaviorist as a private trainer.  You are doing to him what he does to the other dog at the dog park.  Basically, IMO, you are telling him that is how you treat someone and he is taking your cue.  I don't do dog parks as it is a good place to run into bad experiences and if I was having this experience I for sure wouldn't do them anymore. These are dogs he doesn't know and he seems to do well with the ones he does so I would stick with that and practicing good experiences.  

Nano

·
Registered
4 Posts
It almost sounds like a protection issue. He becomes aggressive at the dog park when you are with him but at day camp he is fine. Maybe he feels that you are threatened by the other dogs and is trying to protect you. Perhaps he thinks he is the alpha??

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
He's very young, and might be trying to establish his social status (the big man) with other dogs.  Our Boxer did that at an early age, but learned when an older dog put him quickly in his place.  He exuded self-confidence and other dogs would often lick him around the mouth and be very submissive to him.  After standing very still there'd be a horrible growl, and he'd pin them on the ground.  I was told it was rude behavior, but also his telling them to treat him with respect.  His Dam did that when he was a pup.  He grew out of it.  Dogs get running in packs at the dog runs and that can be a problem.  There's probably more structure at the day camp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my boxer julius has some of the same issues.  He will take down smaller or equal dogs from time to time but not always... BUT when we took him to the park in his early days he was the dog on the ground and i literally had to pull other peoples dogs off him at least 6 times.  he probably has dogs at day care who are alpha and when he goes to the park sometimes there isnt an established alpha due to dogs coming and going.  the alpha role is contantly changing,  and sometimes its your dogs turn. although i dont want my dog or anyones dog to get hurt  that being said, they are prone to their instincts, and sometimes it may look bad but they are just sorting things out.  my dog was bit by a dog that he was "checking out" (smelling, circling... the norm) and trust me when they want to hurt each other theres no growling, or grounding they just bite.  so i dont think your dog has a problem hes just playing the role he is given.

·
Registered
3 Posts
that happens to me  i think that is the right wat to handle it . but he knows the dogs at daycare better than the park so he might just be more comfortable there and could be a reason he doesnt growl at day care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts