Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted our Boxer, Winston, from a local rescue, 3 1/2 months ago and he has now developed a terrible aggressive behavior. He is about a year to a year and a half old. He gets along great with our 3 year old pittie, Kai, and is great 95% of the time, but the aggression seems to be getting worse. He sits in our front room looking out the window and if anyone walks by he start barking and lunging at the window. Then if you try and get him off the couch he lunges and tries attacking. He is the same way if the door bell rings, we can't get him away from the door without him aggressively trying to bite us. We have a trainer we were using for Kai, but due to COVID we can't get into see her and she hasn't been able to meet Winston yet. My family has always had boxers and I haven't ever experienced this level of aggression before, so we are kind of at a loss. We don't know what the best way to correct this would be. We tried purchasing a baby gate so we keep him away from the door and away from the front room, but he has learned to just jump on the gate to push it over and then we are back at square one. We try to reward him with treats when he comes when he's called, but it's like he has this ball of fire that he can't control, even if it's me or my boyfriend trying to get him away and to calm down. It's definitely gotten worse over the last 3 months.

·
Registered
556 Posts
That biting you when he is excited is a no no for sure. Is there a treat or ball that he is really crazy about? Try calling him away from the window into another room and give him a treat if he comes and stops the behavior maybe play ball or squeaky with him This is the problem with adopting a dog from a rescue often times they were never taught any manners or their place in the house and once a dog grows older and set in their ways it can be a dangerous thing like you have now. If he is biting at you grabbing him by the collar and dragging him away is not a good idea if he bites you and gets rewarded (continuing the behavior) then he is learning its ok to bite. Redirecting his attention may be one way to solve this problem. Once you have him away from the window or door can you put him outside while you answer the door? I do think you need the help of a trainer. He is still young enough to be taught some manners so its not a lost cause. How much exercise does he get? I would advise you to seek help with him as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That biting you when he is excited is a no no for sure. Is there a treat or ball that he is really crazy about? Try calling him away from the window into another room and give him a treat if he comes and stops the behavior maybe play ball or squeaky with him This is the problem with adopting a dog from a rescue often times they were never taught any manners or their place in the house and once a dog grows older and set in their ways it can be a dangerous thing like you have now. If he is biting at you grabbing him by the collar and dragging him away is not a good idea if he bites you and gets rewarded (continuing the behavior) then he is learning its ok to bite. Redirecting his attention may be one way to solve this problem. Once you have him away from the window or door can you put him outside while you answer the door? I do think you need the help of a trainer. He is still young enough to be taught some manners so its not a lost cause. How much exercise does he get? I would advise you to seek help with him as soon as possible.
Kind of everything we have been trying. We'll squeak the toy and he gets a treat if he comes when he's called, but it's almost like he gets angry that we aren't letting him do what he wants to do. I read some other posts about people using a "time out." Have you ever had any experience with that? We are trying to work with him on his basic commands, and like every boxer, he's very smart. He catches on with it quickly, so I'm hoping that we can teach him "stay" and "park it." I also know that I've got to find a treat that he goes crazy over.. haven't really found anything that he is obsessed with yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It sounds like you are seeing what the dog is really like. Rescue pups tend to change a bit once they get comfortable in a new environment. Most of the time this is called the honeymoon phase..haha.
Chances are treats and balls are not going to work. Think of it like this. Him barking at the window and door is like someone handing out $100 bills. You are trying to distract him with $5 & $10.
Meaning your ball and treat doesn't have the same value to him as barking at the window/door.
You could be re-enforcing the bad behavior.
Example:
He spots a person walking, runs to the window and start barking. You run and grab a treat and try to distract him. He continues to bark, a few seconds later the person is past, he stops barking comes to you because now you have value (a treat). He walks over to you and you give him the treat. In his brain, he just got a treat for "protecting" the house. Does that make sense ?
So your trainer.... I understand the Covid problem but couldn't you meet out side the home? You definitely need help sooner, rather then later.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
OK ... this is "almost," as bad as it get's! The only reason is it not being as bad as it get's is because he has not "bitten anyone yet!!

And so you know ... "I," am not a "Pro." But I did learn what I know from a serious send you to the hospital for stitches (breaking up one of five, pack's fight's) and after that ... "Oh Yeah, I don't much care for people either! WL GSD ... And after we got done with all of his "Crap," he turned into a "Great Dog!" And he saved my A$$, once, unbid when I slipped on the ice while protecting him from two charging dog's! It was freaking Epic, "Good Times, Good Times," but back on point.

See the first link here, post number eight.:
New Dog, Very Challenging

I just got a rescue, what do I do?? Sigh ... I am gonna guess, you did none of that?? But don't sweat it, cuz by and large ... "No One Does," and that includes me. :)

And my Bella (Newish Pit/Boxer) is not that great with the front door crap! Yeah she literally Bang's into the Storm Dog, it has a window she get's to look out of but and "Trust Me," she would scare the crap out of anyone at first!! When she slam's into the door!

Now I could stop her with a "Place Command!" But thus far ... "I, have chosen not to??" We don't get enough company ... to make "Changing the Behavior," worth my time?? Sooo ... I'm waiting for the "Behavior, to "Self Correct??" Well it's been two year's now and "Self Correcting," does not seem to be happening???

So yeah ... we don't have enough "Drop In's, at the door," to make it worth my time to fix. She is not a threat to people or other dog's ... so it's hard for me to want to bother. I'm counting on her to ... just get a grip, and knock that crap off?? Sigh it's been two year's now and that's not happening so yeah ...

But what she is "proving," is that the more a dog practices a "Bad or Wanted Behavior," the better at it that become! But Bella ... "Does Not, Threaten Me!" That kinda Crap, is "Completely Unacceptable!" If a "Dog Comes After, You??" Regardless of provocation, it shows a "Break Down," between the, Dog and Handler. If your dog does not "Respect You," as a leader ... your gonna have "issue's!"

And ... I am sure regular member's get tired of hearing me say the following. But I am gonna guess.:
1)Your dog get's on the furniture at will??
2)Free Roam's in the house at will??
3) He sleep's in the bed with you
Now I don't know if any of that is true?? But I can say that over the year's ... every time a "Dog Out of Control Case," comes up ... the "owner is doing all of the above.
All "Problem's," start at home and how the owner live's with the Dog! Every thing you have outlined, point's to a "Lack of Structure, a Lack of Rule's, and a Lack of Discipline!"

Personally ... if "none of that changes, "assuming it's all true??" I don't see what a "Private Trainer," can do for you?? Unless of course ... they tell you, the same thing, I just said! Now, I could go on and on ... "trust me on that!" :)

But we do tend to get lot's "Of One And Done Post's" ... not worth my time. So if you do want to know more, ... "Just Ask!"

But since your "Front Door," behavior, is pretty much right on the edge! I would highly "Recommend," that indoor's you keep a "Drag Leash," on him! It's a "Short Leash," with no handle (To could get caught on furniture) that you clip on his "Collar!" To be used indoor's, you grab the leash and not his collar, to pull him away from you, and the door, so you don't get bit!!!

So if you decide ... he is "To Much Dog," for you and want to well, send him back where he came from??? It's best that he has no "Bite History!" NO, harm no foul!

You tell them what you know and the "Rescue what see that his next owner is more experienced with difficult dog's!!

Cuz, while my Bella has her uh quirks, the one thing "None of My Dog's," have ever done is look out the front Window and Bark at "Nothing!!"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Before this problem escalates further...

FULL blood workup is an absolute must!
Don't give him the chance to react to anything -- manage his environment. Crate him if needed. Cover the window.

Remember that aggression is because of fear and insecurity. I know a lot of people will tell you that you need to start instituting 1,001 rules in your house to keep your aggressive dog "in check". Well, I will tell you first hand that when my 7 year old starting reacting to dogs and people aggressively, she has PERFECT house manners but became incredibly fearful.

After you're sure it's nothing health related, ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary behaviorist. There's so much that we don't know here...

There is a group on facebook called "Reactive and aggressive dog community" that has LOADS of free info provided by a certified animal behaviorist. The creator of the group also offers a consultation cheaper than any trainer youll find, and you'll likely be able to make huge strides with just that and all of her free information.

Please take it slow. I wasted thousands on a board and train program for my dog where she stayed with trainers and it ltierally made her infinitely, infinitely worse. I've made more progress in a few short months with the above facebook group, my vet, and a behaviorist than I did dropping a few Gs on a trainer who told me I needed to "keep my dog in line".

·
Registered
192 Posts
I definitely agree with getting blood work to make sure nothing is wrong there! I would be a little more cautious on Vet Behaviorist. My experience is if the dog can't be"helped" with "meds" they tend to recommend putting them down or they'll tell you "they just can't help". Are there good ones out there? I'm sure there are but there's also crap ones, just like trainers.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
A full medical work up with "sudden changes in behaviour??" Is always good advise! But this dog is pretty young so I doubt, something wrong physically is the issue??

And "Pro's," will say that JQP, can't tell the difference between fear aggression and human aggression?? I have known seen only "two dog's," that have sent a "Cold Chill, Up my spine! (It's a real thing!) One was Dog Aggressive Female Boxer, safely behind a fence on leash with the owner's!

That did not make a sound but she started at my Rocky (OverSIzed Working line GSD) like he was "Raw Meat!" And the other was well my "Rocky!" The same OS WL GSD, he did not much care for uh ... anyone! We had company over and he was by my side and I was with him on the floor. Folks came over and he was laying by me ... no biggie. He did not move but he stared at folks, like they were "Raw Meat," and I felt a low growl in his chest??? My "Blood Ran Cold!! Needless to say ... I let no one get close to him ... as "We," clearly had work to do!

Now that might sound strange here, but on GSDForum, ...not so much. We had work to do ... and he got better! :)

If this dog bite's someone ... it's gonna be by accident! As he seem's to ramp up at the window and the front door and a knock ... just makes, it worst!

The knock at the front door, I see as a "separate issue," yeah it's annoying and myself with my "Bella," well I am just to well lazy to stop my Bella from doing it ... my bad. But the "Barking and Crap at the WIndow??" Yeah uh "No!" Some behaviors you can "ignore" and by other mean's ... the bad behaviour ... will "self extinguish." But some "issue's," you have to address directly!

And the front window barking incessantly crap, would be one of them. And nope ... you don't need a curtain to block the view, a choke chain a leash or an E-Collar! You really don't need to "physically," touch the dog at all ... although a "Muzzle," just might be a good idea. :)

But hey ... no OP here??? ANd I do see just be as pig headed and stubborn as my "Sturddell was?? My bad. :(

·
Registered
314 Posts
Agree with Chip, Me personally in this case I would do a E-Collar.. No shocking just put it on high vibrate it will make him stop. You have to be the Alpha at all times. In his mind he's doing his job..you have to snap him out of his frenzy.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Agree with Chip, Me personally in this case I would do a E-Collar.. No shocking just put it on high vibrate it will make him stop. You have to be the Alpha at all times. In his mind he's doing his job..you have to snap him out of his frenzy.
E-Collar can work of course. And even thought you "recommend," vibrate ... they are easily subject to "abuse," by the unskilled user. The dog sound's ... "unbalanced??" And as such is basically "unpredictable??" And I will grant assuming vibrate mode is used (and I would think ... you'd still need to "Condition the Dog to the E-Collar??") Vibrate Mode can freak some dog's out! So, now you got a "new problem???"

But "assuming," they get the "Vibrate Mode," right and fix ... well two issue's ...cuz the Window Barking is Crap! And the "Crazy at the Door," well yeah annoying, and most likely most of us "tolerate," that crap to some degree (My Bad) ??" But even while being A-Holes at the front door ... I don't think to many of us are worried about our dog's biting us???

A "Whole Dog Approach," is more what I do/recommend and yep it would take more than (Two Week's) getting crap done fast ... is also what you pay Pro's for. Now that said ... there are member's who have "Deaf Dog's," that have used the E-Collar successfully, and just as you describe.

But it's a bit different, the vibrate mode is used to get the dog's attention (Look at me) and then the dog is recalled. I don't see how "Vibrate," can be used to stop a behaviour?? Not saying it can't work?? But I'm not seeing it??

But the "Window Barking Crap??" Yeah I'd not tolerate that crap. A "Pet Convincer," would be a good option to stop that crap "Now," for the Window crap!:

Now if the dog is a "Potentially biter??" I'd use a "Muzzle," on him the first time out. If used "correctly," meaning timing ...your gonna interrupt and startle the crap out of the dog! Some dog's it "might terrify," and some dog's it might tick off and they could strike out?? It depend's on the Dog??

But if the dog properly learn's ... that the loud noise and blast of air ... is a "Direct Consequence," of his action's ... he won't be eager to do it again! The knock's at the door and the out burst, is gonna be a bit harder to deal with, without foundation work, which of course includes "The Place Command." As I would imagine with a knock at the door ... the dog is already there before the owner is??

Hence for right "now," use a "Drag Leash," that clips on not a Slip Lead! That's a "behaviour," however, that can be ... self-extinguished, once the "Dog," is "taught/trained to do" .... "something else!" Self-extinguishing a "Behaviour is a thing." But it does take time and I tend to thing other changes need to be made, in how the OP live's with the dog?? But hey, I don't know although, I can guess. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts