Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning All,

I have a 10 month neuter male puppy and he is very submissive to other dogs. We continue to run into issues at the dog park where 1 dog there loves all the other dogs/puppies but hates mine immediately and becomes aggressive towards him. His only response is to cower and get back to me. Yesterday we walked up to the dog park fence and the man says my dog is good (lab/mix) as soon as we walked thru the gate the dog starting with the growling and going after my puppy so thank goodness I still had the gate in my hand and the leash still on my puppy so I jerked him back through the gate and had to hold the gate with my hand to keep this dog off of him. This is not the first time a dog has singled out my puppy and displayed this kind of behavior. The way my dog is so submissive to other dogs I can not figure out why they chose him. Bullies..... Anyone else had this kind of problem? He loves to go to the dog park and I would like to keep him social but this is tearing my nerves up. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Good morning All,

I have a 10 month neuter male puppy and he is very submissive to other dogs. We continue to run into issues at the dog park where 1 dog there loves all the other dogs/puppies but hates mine immediately and becomes aggressive towards him. His only response is to cower and get back to me. Yesterday we walked up to the dog park fence and the man says my dog is good (lab/mix) as soon as we walked thru the gate the dog starting with the growling and going after my puppy so thank goodness I still had the gate in my hand and the leash still on my puppy so I jerked him back through the gate and had to hold the gate with my hand to keep this dog off of him. This is not the first time a dog has singled out my puppy and displayed this kind of behavior. The way my dog is so submissive to other dogs I can not figure out why they chose him. Bullies..... Anyone else had this kind of problem? He loves to go to the dog park and I would like to keep him social but this is tearing my nerves up. Thank you!
Unfortunately this happens a lot at dog parks. It seems most dog parks have now become a place for owners to let their dogs blow off steam instead of exercising and training them before they get to the dog park. Not saying all dog parks this happens but it seems like the majority.

I personally won't go to a dog park. Do you have neighbors, friends, or other people from the dog park that get along together and can kind of do your own thing without the park? If your dog is getting bullied a lot, it can turn into other issues down the road. I would try to find a group of dogs you know that are more balanced where your pup can be himself without having the constant fear of getting bullied. Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unfortunately this happens a lot at dog parks. It seems most dog parks have now become a place for owners to let their dogs blow off steam instead of exercising and training them before they get to the dog park. Not saying all dog parks this happens but it seems like the majority.

I personally won't go to a dog park. Do you have neighbors, friends, or other people from the dog park that get along together and can kind of do your own thing without the park? If your dog is getting bullied a lot, it can turn into other issues down the road. I would try to find a group of dogs you know that are more balanced where your pup can be himself without having the constant fear of getting bullied. Good luck!
I agree with this 100%.
I absolutely would not take a dog with these fears to a dog park. These repeated negative experiences are confirming for him that he SHOULD be fearful and cowering. He needs more controlled social visits, exactly as suggested above.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also, I strongly agree that these negative experiences, if continued, will inevitably create behavior issues in your 10 month old pup that could be very difficult to deal with a year from now.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I agree with this 100%.
I absolutely would not take a dog with these fears to a dog park. These repeated negative experiences are confirming for him that he SHOULD be fearful and cowering. He needs more controlled social visits, exactly as suggested above.
Yeah, I got lucky in that I have a few neighbors with really well balanced dogs. One is a boxer and another is a GSD, both incredible dogs. So while he could be a typical annoying boxer pup, they both tolerated him pretty good and had no problem letting him know when enough was enough. lol I'm of the opinion my dog doesn't need to meet a ton of other dogs I don't know, he has his couple friends and is happy with that.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Unfortunately I would stop going to dog parks. I never take mine too many untrained unruly dogs there and the owners are usually clueless on how to stop negative behavior. I think I would only let mine go to a park to run off some energy if the park was empty. Its just not worth the risk and can cause you more problems in the end. The advise given was good advise. Try to find some neighbors with balanced dogs, if not join a dog training club. It will be good for your dog and fun for you too.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The way my dog is so submissive to other dogs I can not figure out why they chose him. Bullies..... Anyone else had this kind of problem? He loves to go to the dog park and I would like to keep him social but this is tearing my nerves up. Thank you!
They chose him ... "because" he is submissive. He is "One of the Three Dog's Who Should Not Be At a Dog Park." And your dog seems to keep encounter the other type of Dog that should not be there ... "Domaninate (out of control) Dog's.

The best advise ... is know safe dog's only! Right now you are flirting with disaster and are "one" incident from a "true of pain!" If or much more likely "when" your dog has a DOg Park that goes uh ... sideways.

Then you will find yourself in need of a trainer to help you with your "newly" Dog Reactive Dog ie, I'll get them before they can get me!! My first two dogs I never did Dog Parks or other Dogs at al for years and when they did meet other dogs ... they did fine! With my GSD (with issues) we worked out ... he did go to the Dog Park for "proofing!" The other dogs found him boring as he would not engage with them ... he didn't care about other dog's. That's my goal with my new dog, sigh ...we got a way's to go. :crazyeye:

At any rate have a look at a couple articles in this post.:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

The first is the title I bolded and the second is "Way Dog Parks are a Bad Idea." Your dog lacks "confidence" and that is why he tends to get punked, and if crap goes down ... you'll be luck if you get help.

If you want to know, where the "My Dog's Problems are not "My Problem" they are your Problem ...hangs out?? Go to your local Dog Park!

You'll find for the most part ... the worst of the worst there all of'em looking for a new victim, it's best to just stay clear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hi Matt,

I know no more dog parks for us but he loves it so much. It makes me feel so bad for him he loves others dogs and just wants to run/chase. I have no one with dogs/puppies in our age group all my friends have older small dogs that do not like other dogs. Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They chose him ... "because" he is submissive. He is "One of the Three Dog's Who Should Not Be At a Dog Park." And your dog seems to keep encounter the other type of Dog that should not be there ... "Domaninate (out of control) Dog's.

The best advise ... is know safe dog's only! Right now you are flirting with disaster and are "one" incident from a "true of pain!" If or much more likely "when" your dog has a DOg Park that goes uh ... sideways.

Then you will find yourself in need of a trainer to help you with your "newly" Dog Reactive Dog ie, I'll get them before they can get me!! My first two dogs I never did Dog Parks or other Dogs at al for years and when they did meet other dogs ... they did fine! With my GSD (with issues) we worked out ... he did go to the Dog Park for "proofing!" The other dogs found him boring as he would not engage with them ... he didn't care about other dog's. That's my goal with my new dog, sigh ...we got a way's to go. :crazyeye:

At any rate have a look at a couple articles in this post.:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

The first is the title I bolded and the second is "Way Dog Parks are a Bad Idea." Your dog lacks "confidence" and that is why he tends to get punked, and if crap goes down ... you'll be luck if you get help.

If you want to know, where the "My Dog's Problems are not "My Problem" they are your Problem ...hangs out?? Go to your local Dog Park!

You'll find for the most part ... the worst of the worst there all of'em looking for a new victim, it's best to just stay clear.

Hi Chip,

I know right no more dog parks for us...... I guess for me I thought people knew if there dog was dog aggressive I must be the crazy one. I did not get my puppy until he was 5 months old and I did not know how he would do with other dogs so I had a trainer help me by going to the dog park with us and testing him with his leash on and seeing how he would do with her submissive dogs and he passed with flying colors. Oh well it breaks my heart because my baby loves to run/chase at the park but I can not trust other people to know their own dogs behavior and I would never take a risk of something happening to my baby boy. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I would stop going to dog parks. I never take mine too many untrained unruly dogs there and the owners are usually clueless on how to stop negative behavior. I think I would only let mine go to a park to run off some energy if the park was empty. Its just not worth the risk and can cause you more problems in the end. The advise given was good advise. Try to find some neighbors with balanced dogs, if not join a dog training club. It will be good for your dog and fun for you too.
Hi Linda,

Right...... I guess I am the crazy one that thought people were aware of their dogs behavior and dog friendliness. Parks will be out for us and it's so sad he loves to go run/ chase with the other good dogs. We have a fenced in yard so the dog park was suppose to be more of a treat on the weekends for him to be able to run and play with other dogs. We will be reduced down to just going for our daily walks and nothing special :cry_baby:. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Hi Linda,

Right...... I guess I am the crazy one that thought people were aware of their dogs behavior and dog friendliness. Parks will be out for us and it's so sad he loves to go run/ chase with the other good dogs. We have a fenced in yard so the dog park was suppose to be more of a treat on the weekends for him to be able to run and play with other dogs. We will be reduced down to just going for our daily walks and nothing special :cry_baby:. Thank you!
Maybe you can find some "off times" when the park has only 2-3 dogs and check their owners before letting him run. You can eyeball how they play and determine if its a fit for your guy. I just don't do the parks because around here people can be tools. We have one small park that no one ever uses.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hi Matt,

I know no more dog parks for us but he loves it so much. It makes me feel so bad for him he loves others dogs and just wants to run/chase. I have no one with dogs/puppies in our age group all my friends have older small dogs that do not like other dogs. Thank you!
That stinks. Maybe like Linda mentioned you can find people in the park that your pup enjoys being around and kind of show up at the park when they are there and its not a prime time. Might help your pups confidence too knowing he can be with other dogs without any fear. It really kind of ruins it when some people show up with aggressive dogs and don't care how they act.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Unfortunately most ... not all, small dog owner's don't have a clue and there dog's are badly trained ... if trained at all?? Now that is most niot all, I have met a few owners that give a crap and they had very well trained little dogs ... so it does happen! :)

And yes if peak hours maybe a possibility if it's a small Dog Park?? I'm in the process of training Bella my newly acquired Boxer/Pit and we are making use of our local Dog Park as I can let her off leash there ... and try and recall her??
:cry_baby:

Course as they say ... the devil is in the details, so we go after sun down when the "Park" is uh technically closed! Well if they aren't gonna lock the gate ... we are going in. :)

Of course, now it is cold and it gets dark by five o'clock ... so one is there! And there are no lights ... so I can't really see her. But I walk and she kinda sorta follows or forges ahead ... not really caring to much about where I am??
But thus far ... I have not had it be a hassle rounding her up and getting her out so we are making progress.

But night time is uh really, really dark out here! But I don't know if your an early riser, you could try going to your local Dog Park ... before sunrise?? Get sometime in before people and dogs show up?? I don't know if that is doable so it's just a thought.

And that trainer that said your dog was fine at the Dog Park?? Yeah don't use that guy again! You don't want "bully's" the behaviour not the dogs and you don't want submissive dog's at a "Dog Park."

Both can be trouble! The "trainer" should have seen your dog was "overly submissive??" And suggested let's build up his confidence, and give the Dog Park thing a go afterwards. I still would not myself?? Rocky my GSD was the first Dog I ever took to a Dog Park when there were other dogs around ... and yeah OK there were uh "Two Dog's" a female GSD and a Basset Hound!

Rocky is good with other Dog's as he was trained to "ignore them." And the other GSD checked him out and said he was fine. Rocky did not care nor did he want to play. Good enough dog number two the Basset was to far away and I had had enough so we moved on.

But the Basset was on our trail! And he was gonna just follow us until he met Rocky! LOL well you're most certainly not gonna lose a Basset hound in a Dog Park by walking! He wouldn't close on us as long as we kept moving but he was not going away either?? So finally I gave up and stopped so he could meet Rocky. ANd again ... it went fine. Hi how you doing ... OK thanks (the dogs) and with that out of the way ... then he left. :)

So it went great for Rocky and the couple of Dog's he met. But I was a freaking wreck!! I don't really do unknown dog's it was just a rule I had form day one ... as my first Dog Gunther, Band Dawg was/could be a "Bully."

And in San Jose Ca at that time there were lot's of Pit's and derivatives thereof out there. And if mine had other dog issues ... then so might others?? And I was not eager to get in the middle of a dust up. because I cared about my dogs behaviour but some other owners ... might not??

So best to stay clear, I worked on teaching him to ignore other dogs and never looked back. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I venture to say again that I am not fully in agreement with the advice being given – we are back into panic mode again and painting a scenario of disaster and failure for the future.
Lets look at the positive side of things first: Your dog is submissive – it’s doing what it’s instinct it telling it to do, good dog! Is your dog overly submissive? I don’t know – and even if yes, what’s the problem? I see none – I am not sure how a trainer would want to change that and what the expected outcome should be – a dog that fights? Is it submissive to all dogs or only some in particular? What do you mean other dogs are “aggressive” is it “only barking and growling”, or very serious business?
I don’t go to dog parks, I have tons of fields where I live – but there are dogs that don’t like mine. I do what I can to stay out of their way, my dog is very submissive with some other dogs, but so what – its only eight months old – this will probably change the older he gets.
Sure, you can go to the park early morning or late at night to avoid meeting other dogs – it is however important for your dog to socialize with other dogs – your dog will meet dogs it likes and dogs that like your dog. If you can do this without going to a park that would be great – if your only option is a park then go for the park but knowing that you will have to keep an eye on things.
If I were you I would want to better understand the submissiveness of your dog – is it natural behavior of your dog, if so, there is nothing wrong with that and a trainer will most likely not be able to change anything, and why change anyway? Or, is there something behind it you are not aware of, should this be the case then you will still have the same issues with dogs no matter where you walk the dog.
Your dog will sense your nervousness, it will make your dog even more nervous – this is something you need to avoid. Sometimes a trainer has to train the owner and not the dog.
So my advice is, if you go for a trainer then do so with the objective of understanding the submissiveness of your dog, is it normal, is it just the way your dog is or are there any issues that you might not (yet) understand – ask the trainer to watch you and your reactions in a “stress” situation and how you might be influencing the behavior of your dog. Make sure that your dog can socialize with other dogs.
No matter what the issue is with your dog, even if there is one – it is not going to change the behavior of other dogs that don’t like yours – it’s unfortunately a situation all dogs owners have to put up with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I venture to say again that I am not fully in agreement with the advice being given – we are back into panic mode again and painting a scenario of disaster and failure for the future.
Lets look at the positive side of things first: Your dog is submissive – it’s doing what it’s instinct it telling it to do, good dog! Is your dog overly submissive? I don’t know – and even if yes, what’s the problem? I see none – I am not sure how a trainer would want to change that and what the expected outcome should be – a dog that fights? Is it submissive to all dogs or only some in particular? What do you mean other dogs are “aggressive” is it “only barking and growling”, or very serious business?
I don’t go to dog parks, I have tons of fields where I live – but there are dogs that don’t like mine. I do what I can to stay out of their way, my dog is very submissive with some other dogs, but so what – its only eight months old – this will probably change the older he gets.
Sure, you can go to the park early morning or late at night to avoid meeting other dogs – it is however important for your dog to socialize with other dogs – your dog will meet dogs it likes and dogs that like your dog. If you can do this without going to a park that would be great – if your only option is a park then go for the park but knowing that you will have to keep an eye on things.
If I were you I would want to better understand the submissiveness of your dog – is it natural behavior of your dog, if so, there is nothing wrong with that and a trainer will most likely not be able to change anything, and why change anyway? Or, is there something behind it you are not aware of, should this be the case then you will still have the same issues with dogs no matter where you walk the dog.
Your dog will sense your nervousness, it will make your dog even more nervous – this is something you need to avoid. Sometimes a trainer has to train the owner and not the dog.
So my advice is, if you go for a trainer then do so with the objective of understanding the submissiveness of your dog, is it normal, is it just the way your dog is or are there any issues that you might not (yet) understand – ask the trainer to watch you and your reactions in a “stress” situation and how you might be influencing the behavior of your dog. Make sure that your dog can socialize with other dogs.
No matter what the issue is with your dog, even if there is one – it is not going to change the behavior of other dogs that don’t like yours – it’s unfortunately a situation all dogs owners have to put up with.

Good luck!
Nobody is panicking, we have to take the owners word of whats going on. He saw his dog is getting bullied and is fearful. If this is happening everytime he goes to the park this is a bad situation that will lead to future problems.

My dog is submissive but very confident. I don't think anyone mentioned being submissive is a bad thing.

I know you are in Germany and are maybe not familiar with the "average" dog park in the US, but basically its a free for all most of the time with owners not even paying attention to their dogs.

I personally know two people that started at dog parks. One, his lab got 16 stitches in his ear and was lucky, the other got attacked twice and turned from an outgoing dog to an extremely dog aggressive dog.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good morning All,

Like most have said, in general dog parks tend to be a bad idea.
If you happen to have a small park where you know the people, that would be different.
I can say one thing for sure.. if you continued to go and he continued to have poor experiences it for sure will create problem down the road.

I would look for a area where you can go and let him run but the play is with you (ball, frisbee, whatever). Or go for a hike.
Don't worry about socializing with other dogs in a park. I personally prefer my dogs to be neutral to other dogs. Meaning they can see another dog and still focus on me and what I'm asking them. That is way more important then trying the find a dog, dog friends.
There's no doubt you want to get your dog out and comfortable with things.. but I would concentrate more on being environmentally social. Traffic, Street noise, people, buildings, etc. My thought of social for a dog is being able to function normally with out fear in that type of environment.
Not the social most people tend to think about, like having "dog friends" and "being the life of the part" and in every bodies lap kind of social.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
bte2..we need a "like" button. LOl Thats what I'm doing with my dogs. Take them places and keep their focus on me regardless of whats going on around them. That is my goal. My dog has me and doesn't need "dog friends".

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nobody is panicking, we have to take the owners word of whats going on. He saw his dog is getting bullied and is fearful. If this is happening everytime he goes to the park this is a bad situation that will lead to future problems.

My dog is submissive but very confident. I don't think anyone mentioned being submissive is a bad thing.

I know you are in Germany and are maybe not familiar with the "average" dog park in the US, but basically its a free for all most of the time with owners not even paying attention to their dogs.

I personally know two people that started at dog parks. One, his lab got 16 stitches in his ear and was lucky, the other got attacked twice and turned from an outgoing dog to an extremely dog aggressive dog.
“might lead to future problems” “..16 stiches” If that’s not panic I don’t know what is? Sure, its concerning and definitely something nobody wants. I didn’t say anyone said that submissive is bad, I only stated its instinct and that it’s a good trait. I don’t even know if we have dog parks over here – I sated its important to find out if the submissiveness is just the dog or if there is something else behind it – I believe a suggestion was made to get a trainer to build up confidence – I asked the question what the goal is to build up confidence, for the dog to stand its ground? First find out why it is that way – the OP only mentions one specific dog that behaves that way towards his/her dog – reading between the lines it might be more. The dog is 8 months, its not a pup anymore – pup protection is over – 8 months old is a weird time for male dogs – neutered at that age could also be a reason why the dog is reacting that way. Don’t know why you guys get all your dogs neutered? Is the aggressive dog neutered? What is aggressive (real biting) how is the OP reacting to this – how is the dog reacting to the OPs reactions – so many open and unanswered questions before making recommendations
Merry Christmas

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
“might lead to future problems” “..16 stiches” If that’s not panic I don’t know what is? Sure, its concerning and definitely something nobody wants. I didn’t say anyone said that submissive is bad, I only stated its instinct and that it’s a good trait. I don’t even know if we have dog parks over here – I sated its important to find out if the submissiveness is just the dog or if there is something else behind it – I believe a suggestion was made to get a trainer to build up confidence – I asked the question what the goal is to build up confidence, for the dog to stand its ground? First find out why it is that way – the OP only mentions one specific dog that behaves that way towards his/her dog – reading between the lines it might be more. The dog is 8 months, its not a pup anymore – pup protection is over – 8 months old is a weird time for male dogs – neutered at that age could also be a reason why the dog is reacting that way. Don’t know why you guys get all your dogs neutered? Is the aggressive dog neutered? What is aggressive (real biting) how is the OP reacting to this – how is the dog reacting to the OPs reactions – so many open and unanswered questions before making recommendations
Merry Christmas
The only way you could understand what the average dog park is like here is to actually go to one. I would bet you would turn around in a second.

The only way I can explain it, would be a prison yard with all the inmates loose, and the guards not paying attention but texting on their phones or bs'ing with each other.

So you would have no issue with your dog getting the top half of his ear
basically ripped off because some idiot brought his aggressive dog there and could care less about paying attention to it? I'm pretty sure most would steer clear of that park and it wouldn't be considered panic. It would be considered the smart thing to do for the well being of the dog.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Merry Christmas
They seem open ended to you because you have a different situation being in Germany and there is a bit of a language discrepancy. Meaning we don't always use the words they same way you are taking it to mean.
You said yourself, you're not sure if they even have dog parks in your area.
To get a idea of what can happen. you can go to youtube and search "dog park fight"
To you a dog fight may not sound like that big of a deal and in all honesty it's not in a normal setting. But if a fight happen in a dog park (which can be often), it tends not to be a 1 dog vs. 1 dog. Most tend to quickly escalate to a pack fight.
It's just not worth the risk of putting my dog in a situation that has a large number of off leash dogs with owners that have no idea what their dog is doing.

As for "getting a trainer to build confidence"
That not saying teach the dog to fight. I would guess they are implying for the OP's description the dog maybe shown fearfulness of the new situation.
Building the dogs confidence with a trainer, is just a way of saying, get with a trainer to work on the dogs social nerves to be less fearful of new places.
At least that's what I take it to mean.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts