Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I know all puppies bite and chew on things and you have to teach them not to. How do you or did you go about teaching your pup? Would love to hear some pointers as to what worked for other boxer parents.

Talos is currently 9.5 weeks old and he has soft toys, balls, rope, teething toys, knotted old sock etc.. I try to play with him but he gets very aggressive and likes to bark, growl and bite me. To the point that he won't focus on the toys and instead he goes for my hands (holding the toys). If I hide my hands and feet and try to ignore him until he calms down he will bite my arms, legs, etc.

I know we still have a lot to learn. He's doing great with sit, lay down etc but we still haven't been able to get him to recognize his name when being called. I know it's all a work in progress and it takes time. I'd just like to hear some advice and ideas on what worked well for others.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
we would give a firm NO or no bite command and redirect. We also would yelp loudly as if he had bitten a littermate, that usually got his attention. If all else fails we knew it was time for his nap so we wold take him out to potty then put him in his crate for a nap. We found just like a human toddler these pups do need their nap time. But never put hm in the crate when your upset, just take him out then place him in his crate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We are bringing home a boxer puppy this summer and I have been doing a ton of research and reading, including just browsing all of the old posts on this forum! One book that I am really enjoying is Before and After getting your Puppy by Ian Dunbar. He has some great tips about puppy play, like the above posted, make sure you yelp and act like he hurt you, turn away from him even and stop play. He also suggests that every twenty to thirty seconds as you play you make the puppy settle and go through sit and down commands. Then when he is calm and obedient you can restart the playtime. It shows that you are in control and helps puppy from getting out of control and wild. Good luck!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I started with saying a firm no to our girl. When that didn't work I would stop playing with her and ignore her for a short period. Then if i went back to play with her and she was still in bite mode I would ignore for a bit longer until she had forgotten about it. I also did the yelp thing which helped too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried the yelp. I've tried a firm no. I've tried no and ignoring him. I've tucked my hands and feet away and he'll growl and bark and bite my arms, legs, stomach, etc. My husband gives a firm no and he stops. I'm covered in bites and scratches. It's like he just won't respond to my voice.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Not a fan of the yelp like a piggy and turn my back ie ignore the behavior, thing myself ... my wife did those things and I did not. My puppies continued to chomp on her long after they decided that "Daddy" was no fun for that crap. Make better choices dogs was taught early on for me ... in any case. I grabbed the lower jaw and squeezed ... that was not much for them. Others are of course free to do as they see fit. Welcome aboard in any case.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chip! Its all a work in progress. Some days we have great days. Others not so much. He'll be going for his next round of shots in just over a week and we've already scheduled his first training class.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
As far as the chewing, what worked for Zuke was a puppy nylabone (I think chicken scented). Whenever he chewed on something I didn't want him to, told him no, stood in front of it then stuck the nylabone in his mouth and when he took it I would tell him good boy.

The one thing I didn't do was move stuff off the floor. Unless of course it could harm him. I figured if I just move items off the floor I'm not really training him to do anything.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Thanks Chip! Its all a work in progress. Some days we have great days. Others not so much. He'll be going for his next round of shots in just over a week and we've already scheduled his first training class.
Of course it all takes time. :)

I would attend one of those puppy training classes first without my puppy to see how they are conducted. I'm not really a fan of others peoples dogs in general. But that's another tangent ... what you want to be on the look out for is "Puppy Frees Play." Much like a "Dog Park" some puppy's don' t play well with others. You don't want your puppy getting punked by someone's else's puppy. If it starts, the trainer should step in to put a stop to it.

For me ... if I would going to a training class with a puppy ... only did it once and I found it to be a waste of time ... but that's me. But back on point you don't want to get your puppy beat up on, if puppy free play is allowed.

My puppy/dogs were taught to ignore other dogs and when they did finally meet a pack of three after never interacting with an unknown dog for years! They met a three pack of strays, I brought them in off the street, everyone got alone fine. The loose dogs were all balanced dogs as were mine but mine had never had a bad encounter with another dogs ... so why would they care about other dogs ... even in there house, everyone got along fine.:)

Things to know more dog than puppy but good stuff to know. :)
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. Talos has had some very minor interaction with two older chocolate labs. They belong to our neighbor. I don't allow him to be in their yard and vice versa. Not yet. But it's a chain link fence so every now and again a chance meet up happens. The first time Talos was scared and growled and barked like he was super tough. Now he gets all excited and does the butt wiggle when they come outside. Sometimes when we are outside he'll sit in the grass and just watch their yard. I think he's just hoping to see them. lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same issue with our pup...she had me in tears...she finally calmed down as she got older...she still doesnt listen to my voice like she does my husbands but I hear its the male voice vs the female...we just dont have the tone....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts