Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brody is our 3 year old male. we raised him and his sister from birth. Mother (Sketch) gave birth to both by C-section. There were six puppies in the litter and because they were in the birth canal so long four of them did not make it. we had to bottle feed Brody and Lexie. We have enjoyed them and they have always been very loving.  We ride four wheelers around our property and both Brody and Lexie have always chased them. When other dogs have been around, they have barked at them and sometimes tried to bite them when the four wheelers started. We would separate the dogs and if necessary put Brody and Lexie in the kennel while we rode. Today Brody went too far when the four wheeler started. A smaller dog was nearby and he attacked the dog and hurt him so bad that we had to put him down.  He has the taste of blood and I am afraid to let him out of sight and cannot let him run in the yard.

I don 't know if I need to find a diferent home for Brody, get him in some type of training, keep him in the kennel all the time or what. He otherwise is not an agressive dog. Our kids have always played with him and he has never hurt them or even showed any attention in hurting anyone. He has, however, showed some aggressive behavior towards smaller dogs, but not to this extent. In fact, the dog he hurt today and he have even eaten out of the same food bowl at the same time and have always played well together.

I just don't know what to do. He is a very loving dog, he just lost it today.

Any tips or help anyone can provide is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
This is displaced aggression.  It is coming from the excitement over the three wheelers and chasing them. The other dog happened to be in the "way" and things got out of control when he started in on him. What you must do is put the dog up when you are riding them.  I don't believe that this will happen again except under the excitement of the vehicles and you just need to keep him separated from all dogs when you ride them.  I would also go back to some basic obedience work with him and keep a vigilant watch.

Nano

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nano. Do you think having him fixed will help the situation?

Also, last night as I lay in bed rehasing the events of the day, I remembered other incidents where he was agressive towards small dogs and the 4-wheelers were not involved. One was a Yorkie which was I adopting. Brody would grab him and shake him when there was a crowd around all the dogs. Another was a 6 week old german shepard that belonged to a friend of ours. He had brought the dog over the show him to us. Again, there was a crowd of people around and the other dogs as well.  My son has a 10 week old puppy which Brody does not bother and loves to play with. After yesterday's incident we don't let him go near the puppy. I guess training would help me figure out what makes him snap. I am contacting a trainer today to start something immediately.

Appreciate your comments.

gracielynn

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Make sure you get a trainer/behaviorist, that is what you need in this case.  Make sure it is someone who is BCCAB or CBC certified in the behavioral field and that they use postive training techniques.  That will be your best bet in this case. The training field for dogs has really no policing.  Anyone can claim to be a trainer.  Also if they have some references you could check out.  You will know when you meet the person if they are right for you.  Then you will have someone who you can consult with if things come up between sessions.  Best of luck and keep us posted.

Nano

G

·
0 Posts
try to socialize him with as many dogs as you can.  my thor is dog aggressive and i've noticed he is VERY insecure.  lashing out first is his way of overcoming his fears.  so i'm introducing him to more and more dogs on walks, and taking him to dog activities.  don't do this if you don't have control of the leash.  

i have a foster here now and i've really noticed his insecurity issue.  the foster will play with my other female boxer and thor wants to play, but doesn't know how.  he knows how to play with vetty fine, but this new dog makes him very unsure of himself.

as soon as i realized what the trigger was, i worked on teaching him how to play with her and trust himself to not hurt her.  they've been playing great for 2 days now  :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
my boy Tyson is dog/dog aggressive only towards males. he's alpha. love kids and has played with all of our nieces and nephews over the years. great with female dogs. as a matter of fact he's a push over with them. males, on the other hand, are the enemy.  very loud and physical. no biting so far. we try to socialize him. but in a neutral arena. not our house or cars. at the park etc. and only with one dog at a time. then maybe a few dogs. mt GF took him to PETAPALOOZA yesterday and that was a disaster. very angry. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi..

I wanted to find out , whether there could be a dominance issue if I bring in a 2 month old doberman home to my 4 month old  boxer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts