Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get to take my new boxer puppy home march 10th i havent desided on a name yet put here he is

my father used to breed Samoyed's put i have always wanted to compete in sports with a dog i think it would be a lot of fun for the dog and he would enjoy it.
is there any special paper work i need from my breeder in order to be able to compete with my dog, and do i have to crop the ears ???

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why would you have to cropp his ears for that?  Sorry, but that is a silly questions.  and its a NO.

Personally, I would not cropp your dogs ears for any reason.  Just my .02.

have fun with the agility, its a fun sport to do with your dogs.

I believe HANNABANA does agility with her dog Hanna.  You might want to PM her.

Ciao...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It depends on what you want to compete in (different leagues)  To compete in AKC events your dog much be registered to compete in their events.   I think other organizations require different things but not too sure - here are some links.

Flyball - http://www.flyball.org/

Agility Organizations - http://www.dogpatch.org/agility/agorgs.cfm

Nope you do not need any ears cropped to compete in canine sports.    As far as your puppy goes, get it enrolled in basic obedience once you get it.    Start up the obedience circuit and talk with your trainer.  As a puppy most important thing to concentrate on is obedience and flatwork.   I would not introduce to any equiptment until the dog had reached 18 months of age.   You really want to concentrate on the obedience because that will ultimately lead to a great start in agility.  

So once you get your pup, working on house training.  Enroll them in puppy obedience and or socialization.  Dont worry about competition as that will come when your pup reaches the right age.  Best to find a trainer you like and enjoy - once you find that they will help you reach the goals you want!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot that info was very helpful, i did plan on enrolling  my pup right when hes done with his shots into obedience and socialization training at the dog gym in my .i have never be so excited and had to wait 2 months to get something ever i cant wait till i get to take my new buddy home

·
Registered
494 Posts
First let me say congratulations!!  I don't think that Maggie was ever that small...lol.  Anyway they are some great questions I have some answers for some but not all.  Most of the info that I have finding does not specify whether cropping is necessary so my assumption is no.  I am not planning on doing anything crazy.....I can barely throw the frisbee straight so I would have to go through frisbee throwing classes first.  And second about training I called my local park and recreation center they had a list of trainers/classes.  I do have a PetSmart in town and have heard both good and bad things, however my Vet asked me (ok begged me) not to take her there.  I also asked my Vet for boxer specific trainers.....(not sure my wording is right).  I also have asked for recommendations from prior clients....although I take these with a grain of salt as sometimes it is just personality clashes.  So as Hanna Bananas Mom said...find a trainer that works best for you and the puppy.  I am finding most trainers have a 1st time free class so you can get a feel for the trainer and how you and the puppy respond to them.  I hope this helps, I have been all over the map and to be honest just coming in and reading other peoples posts has helped me.  Good luck and keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes trainers are the main focus.   I have been to many, some I just did not enjoy others I got nothing out of.   I always try to find ones that understand boxers.  I went to one program for Adult Manners and it was a bunch of robot dogs on halti's and I was the one with the boxer who seemed to be out of control.   They said I had to repeat class because my dog was too hyper  - ummmm its a boxer!!!

So best to look at a program as a whole.  Find a trainer who has the same goals and training style you like:)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You have gotten some great advice, just wanted to add your pup is a cutie, how exciting..Read thru the puppy & training section for a ton of great advice & tips. Plus the Sticky at the top of the puppy forum regarding wht to have whn you bring your puppy home

1 - 8 of 8 Posts