Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at obedience the trainer did some intro to agility work, mr. Hercules ADORES it, the trainer said we had to wait until he was 1 yr before we could enroll now that he turns 1 on October 26th we have enrolled for this Saturday! I am soo excited at home he jumps over fallen logs on walks, crawls under the benches and serpentine's trees. all on his own well off the leash! I know he will have the time of his life and excel at it, I will post pictures and keep you posted anybody else have a boxer who is an agility natural and lover

·
Registered
206 Posts
Whenever we go for hikes Lucy loves to "show off" -- she runs around leaping over logs and rocks. We also started making her do hurdles at a local park and its great to see her use her long legs and it tires her out pretty good too :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I do agility with my boy. He LOVES it and has many titles in AKC and NADAC. You really don't have to wait until they are a year old. You can start ground work very early. However, you should save jumps, a-frame, weaves, or any similar equipment for when they are older. Have fun :)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I adore agility and am so jealous of the border collies -.- but Rosco loves his backyard agility set. I don't have all the pieces yet but he is becoming a master at running the course we do have. It's so much fun.

My book recommendations for you!!!
View attachment 61546 View attachment 61554
K9 Structure and Terminology by Ed Gilbert

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I forgot to ad that my soon to be 6 month old will be starting beginning agility soon. Her class started last night, but I am in session with Rocky on the same night for Rally O, so we are working at home for the first couple weeks and then will join the rest of the class.

We will just start with basics such as teaching ground work. Teaching "touch" for her contacts, but she will not be going over contacts yet. Front and rear crosses using just the jump uprights, tunnels, hoops (for NADAC). She'll be going through the uprights, but without bars, no jumping. I'll be teaching her 2x2 weaves (not the push pull method my trainer teaches) so I can start those with her as long as I don't close the weaves. She is still young so I will not be having her do any twisty turny moves until later.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mr. herc is the class superstar and always gets invited to demonstrate he just excels at it and loves it, we will definitely compete

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Would like to look further into agility for Brutus. I have ordered open end and closed end tunnels for him, and I am making some weaving poles.....

what else would be good to use in the backyard?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a board and some milk crates to be used as a plank, you can have it at a slope he climbs up and then jumps down or you can have it as raised on both ends and he has to jump up and down

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first is a teeter tooter also a great obstacle but this is what I am talking about but for at home just use one or 2 milk crates stacked on top of each other so its less high until he gets his confidence

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The first is a teeter tooter also a great obstacle but this is what I am talking about but for at home just use one or 2 milk crates stacked on top of each other so its less high until he gets his confidence
ok...thanks....think he will catch on pretty good to that... he does Park It, pretty well...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts