Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have first admit that I was naive regarding the purchasing of Jaxon.  I am a very trusting person and once again it may have got the better of me.  We had been communicating with the breeders of Jaxon for a year when he was born.  The were very upfront with showing us a copy of each parent's pedigree and also gave us copies of them.  Jaxon came home with us at 8 weeks old.  When we arrived to pick him up, the breeders told us they still had not received the AKC papers but that as soon as they came they would send them on to us.  About two weeks after we brought Jaxon home, I called and asked about the papers.  They said they still had not received them and were going to call AKC.  The next week I called again and they said there was a mistake and they had to resubmit them.  At this point we have had Jaxon in our home for a month so he is at this point 12 weeks old.  Four weeks later, still no papers, I called again.  The breeder tells me they still don't know why they haven't got them, but that their local post office had burned down, mail was being re-routed, etc, etc.  He told me to call back in two weeks if I still had not received the papers.  We are now 2 weeks and 4 days after the last contact..still no papers.  I have left messages at his home and cell phone.  It is not unusual to hear from them several days after messages so I'm not totally convinced he's avoiding me.  I'm irritated at not having the papers because he was sold as AKC, but at the same time, I'm not going to show him.  My sheltie is registered but it really has meant nothing to me except the fact that she is indeed purebreed.  Am I making a mountain out of a molehill???

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Possibly. My breeder didn't get the papers until diesel was home with us for 2 months or so. But she did send them to us as soon as she got them in. I understand your concern, however your breeder could very well be telling the truth about the papers. Give them time.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well we got Savannah back in march. the "breeder" we got her from said that after she had been in the home for 60 days she would send the papers. It has been 7 months and i have never recieved them. i could call her for i still have her number, but i am not going to worry over it. If you have a copy of both the pedigrees though i would think there would be a way to request the papers from AKC. could be wrong though. do you have a bill of sale for Jaxon? We got one for each of the girls just in case.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the cancelled check which I wrote in the memo line for sale of akc boxer puppy.  I don't really care about the registration except for the fact that I wouldn't have paid that amount for an unregistered dog from a breeder.  I guess it just the morale of it that makes me so mad.  I had wondered also if I could contact AKC on my own behalf.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
it doesnt hurt to try contacting AKC yourself. I understand the point you are coming from as far as price and morales. i guess i should have also pointed out that my savannah was 2 when we got her and her price was very low since i just paid for the cost of her spay.

·
Registered
381 Posts
When I picked up Lola, I left the breeder's house with everything I needed to register her with the AKC (IIRC anyways).  Which meant that I paid the money to register her and not the breeder (I think it was $50 or something like that).

I wouldn't worry about it though.  You don't plan on breeding or showing him do you?  Registering Lola with the AKC was actually a waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You know they finally sent Fredo's "papers" about a month after we had him but it was just like a card thing so I don't think those are his real papers. Our boston's looked a lot different. Can I contact anyone about this?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the one reason we registerd Reese though we dont plan on showing or breeding is because of the CAR program. it gives me a feeling of extra security. Since i have had one boxer puppy stolen from me, i like all the extra feeling of security i can get :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You can pretty much register anything with the AKC and I don't say that to sound mean, but it's the truth...If you aren't planning on showing or bredding it isn't necessary, but the fact is that the breeder isn't coming thru with their end and that's what bugs me, plus you don't have a bill of sale, which you should have as well....Doesn't sound like they are on the up & up actually.....Try the AKC and see what if anything they can do or suggest....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie is registered with the AKC, and I had all the paperwork when we picked him up.  I, of course, had to pay the registration fee of 15 bucks I think.  Sadie is registered through CKC.  We also had the paperwork to register her before leaving.  I would be skeptical at this point if I were you.  What doesn't make sense is that you spoke to them roughly a year before actually purchasing.  More than likely, if they were completely dishonest, they would of moved, changed phone numbers, etc. to try to avoid complaints.  Has any of the above happened, especially moving?

·
Registered
220 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"41678 said:
You can pretty much register anything with the AKC and I don't say that to sound mean, but it's the truth.....
The AKC will only register dogs whose parents are already registered.  If the parents are registered then the person whose name is on the registration papers can register the litter, not the owner of the puppy.  The owner of the puppy has to have the registration transferred to them or have co-registration with the breeder.  

Just because your dog is AKC registered in no way means he/she is a purebred dog.  Many non-reputable breeders will register mix breed dogs when an unexpected litter happens.

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta came with the registration form, where I then had to pay to transfer it into my name...but the breeder had the paperwork right up front.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My breeder had the paperwork when I got Fiona as well.  I dont know how the AKC works that if you dont have the paperwork.  I am sure someone on here who deals with them more can tell you.  Fiona was registered and she is also now spayed....so, her paperwork is in a drawer somewhere, but since I dont plan to breed her I guess mine was for more the sense of knowing she had registered parents. But, like was already posted that is only as honest as the breeder because they can always list a mother or father who is registered as the parents of a litter born to neither.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If you have the registration numbers of the parents, you can petition the AKC for a registration on the puppy even if the breeder never does the litter registration.  AKC does sometimes have processing delays, though, so you might want to give it a few more weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had my first litter 13 weeks ago.  I registered the litter as soon as they were born.  It cost $47.00 dollars.  No big deal.  When it came time to sell them we gave the new owners the AKC paperwork along with their shot records and health certificates.   The new owners also saw both the mom and dad, on site.  If you don't get that paperwork soon you may not get it at all.  They should have never let you walk out of their home without it.

You can contact the AKC at [email protected] or call 919-233-9767.  The AKC has a great website at www.akc.org.  If you have not registered your baby within a year it will cost $35.00 vice $15.00 if it is done within the first year.  If it is not done within 2 years it cost $65.00.  You also need to ask yourself, Does it really matter if my baby is AKC?   Am I going to breed him?  Am I willing to give him back to the breeder?

With you canceling the check, the breeder will have ever right to take the puppy back.  Dogs are "property" in the eyes of the law.  I don't understand it but it is what it is.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i think what she meant by cancelled check is the duplicate/cleared, not that she actually cancelled the check and the breeder didnt get the funds for it. If that were the case i am sure that breeder wouldnt be avoiding her phone calls.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone!

What I meant by canceled check is I have the cleared canceled check.  I certainly paid for Jaxon!!!!  

AKC's website states that processing takes 3 weeks.  There was a mistake made in the original paperwork, so the second filing may take longer, I just don't know when to expect it.  I'm just get irritated that I have kept in contact over his paperwork and still don't have it.  I do have both parents' pedigrees (the breeder did own both and they were on site).  Honestly there wasn't anything that seemed shady, they did tell me before I left with Jaxon that they did not have the paperwork yet.   I just tend to make things bigger than what they are and was wondering if I really should be getting so worked up.  I'm not going to stud him...he's scheduled to be neutered in 4 weeks...and I'm not interested in showing.  It's just the morale that I want what was intended.  He's now 4...almost 5 months old.  When we bought Bayla home the breeder had just received paperwork (she was 4 months old).  I blamed that because the breeders weren't all that interested in registration.

I am surprised by how many aren't registered, but I really don't have a good reason for wanting to register.  I still halfways hope to get the paperwork, but I'm starting to lean towards a who cares attitude about it!  Anyhow...thanks for letting me vent!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think I'll probably register with AKC for the CAR program after I get him microchipped in a few weeks.  That really seems to be the only advantage.  It might be kinda fun to brag to people he's registered with AKC but yeah other than that, it's really pretty meaningless.  I was just happy his parents were registered.....it doesn't mean a ton, but at least it's something.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: AKC registration...UPDATE

The breeder returned my call today, Jaxon's papers are "in the mail" and should be here early next week.  She didn't get into details about the hold up, just said it was a flub in paperwork.

I'll be watching the mail for them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts