Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I have always loved boxers and do not have one yet, but am continuing my research by joining this forum!

I have a question for those in Western Canada. I know the issue of docked/natural tails has been debated to death, so I'm not looking to get into that. What I am wondering is if anyone knows of any Alberta (or Western Canada) boxer breeders that would be open to leaving a natural tail for a pet puppy?

Also, if anyone has any tips for discussing this with the breeder that would be great. I am nervous about being discounted right off the bat, or worse, having the breeder angry with me just for asking! I do have specific reasons for wanting this, in addition to the usual reasons. Those don't really pertain to the discussion but I will expand if necessary.

Thanks in advance! =)

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
The problem with approaching a breeder with leaving a dogs tail intact is that you would need to be 1st pick on their waiting list and also you would have to make your puppy choice by 2 days of age as this is around the time that docking occurs.

If you are set on keeping a tail why not look to provinces that have it banned or importing from another country where it is not allowed?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2manydogs, yes, that is something I have thought of. My thought was that I would likely have to be on a waiting list for close to a year to get to the top of it, and hopefully get first pick of the litter. My plan would then be to pay the full puppy's price up front (for the breeder's security that I wouldn't back out, and they would be left with a puppy with a tail), and would choose within a couple days of them being born before tails are docked. Does this sound reasonable to you?

Mattie's Mom, I would be hoping for a puppy first. If this ends up being impossible, I'd look at adult dogs. Are these dogs you mentioned rescues? I am a member of the Boxer Rescue Canada and Boxers Without Borders facebook pages but I haven't seen any available dogs with tails.

Thanks for your replies! Please keep them coming :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
You would have to ensure that you are going with a breeder that is not keeping any puppies for herself/himself. I had first pick of the litter but it was after the breeder chose the ones she wanted to keep for breeding or show.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You might want to research Schutzhund sport clubs in Canada. The Boxer breeders who are involved here in the US usually leave the tails intact. If you are in line to get a puppy you have the option of having the tail cropped when the litter is born. More breeds, like Boxers and Rotties are able to train at these clubs. Before it was mainly the GSD.

You would want to work closely with a breeder who would only place a puppy that was suitable for a family dog.

·
Registered
198 Posts
CKY
No the ones I know of are not rescues, one for sure is a male that was brought in for breeding. I have the same advise Kari had look for dogs in provinces or states where it is illegal to dock.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
I am actually thinking of leaving a litter intact next spring. I have had several people inquire about leaving the tails so I will send out a few emails and maybe place everyone on that list.

I have two girls with tails and you get use to seeing them. I actually couldn't picture them with nubs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks very much for the replies!

Mattie's mom--Can I ask which kennels these dogs are located at?

HerculesCasey--Can I ask the name of the breeder you got your dog from? I looked at a few kennels from provinces where docking is banned and was surprised to see puppies being offered with docked tails. I'm a bit confused by this.

canadianjem--Thanks for the tip! She has an absolutely gorgeous European stud dog with a full tail, so maybe she would be open to this :)

2manydogs--I would be very interested in talking with you more about this. Would you mind if I send you a PM?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
If you talk with kari and you get a puppy from her you wont Regret it.. Here is a picture of my almost 1yr girl from her.. She is Beautiful and im in Calgary.. Never had any issues with her flight and she was nothing but happy no stress.. Here my Loala!

View attachment 69385

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
That ...looks like a pretty big crate! :clown:

She's a cutie!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts