Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old has red/raw face...Has stainless bowl. Vet said chicken allergy maybe. I did take her off chicken was slightly better but still red...redder by nighttime. Any ideas? She is always into things!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
does your dog have inflamed ears too and licking paws? could be environmental allergy maybe discuss with the vet possible outdoor allergies and treatments a lot of the time pDooley jump to the conclusion it’s a food allergy when it’s not fall is the prime time of the year for mold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 1 year old has red/raw face...Has stainless bowl. Vet said chicken allergy maybe. I did take her off chicken was slightly better but still red...redder by nighttime. Any ideas? She is always into things!
We have the same issue - almost two years old male. Went from $100.00 bag of all natural food, now down to $30 bag. 4 Zyrtec a day, a natural seasonal allergy med…. Prescription meds…. Nothing works. We are so frustrated. Underside of his mouth is so raw… bleeds in and off all the time… creases bleed, paws are chewed up… I’ve had boxers for 11 years now and never dealt with such until now. Ears likewise red… we bathe with a very expensive allergenic medicated shampooo…. Horribly frustrated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have the same issue - almost two years old male. Went from $100.00 bag of all natural food, now down to $30 bag. 4 Zyrtec a day, a natural seasonal allergy med…. Prescription meds…. Nothing works. We are so frustrated. Underside of his mouth is so raw… bleeds in and off all the time… creases bleed, paws are chewed up… I’ve had boxers for 11 years now and never dealt with such until now. Ears likewise red… we bathe with a very expensive allergenic medicated shampooo…. Horribly frustrated!
I jumped on this just to see if there were any posts about such. My vet likewise said environmental - well…. He his an inside dog. Again I don’t know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does your dog have inflamed ears too and licking paws? could be environmental allergy maybe discuss with the vet possible outdoor allergies and treatments a lot of the time pDooley jump to the conclusion it’s a food allergy when it’s not fall is the prime time of the year for mold.
Her ears and paws are fine, its just her face...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is only her face...vet did say some bacteria so gave us the cream which worked but now is red again, we wipe 2x a day

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I jumped on this just to see if there were any posts about such. My vet likewise said environmental - well…. He his an inside dog. Again I don’t know
Your dog can have environmental allergies my dogs are indoor dogs as I hope everyone keeps their boxers inside. Your dog can be allergic to molds that are common in almost all household even your cleaning solutions for the house dust mite the list can go on, going out to the bathroom there are numerous things as well including grass

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
it was a bacteria she looked under microscope that formed she said from face being red but we have been through one tube of entedem and got better but now back
This is why it is important to do a swab culture and send it out to a lab such as Idexx. They will tell you what bacteria is present and what antibiotics it is susceptible too to clear it properly. Some bacteria is antibiotic resistant.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am jumping in as well. My 1 year old boxer is also having issues. He is constantly licking at his paws. They have been so red and inflamed. We changed his diet to eliminate all chicken. Acana Lamb and Apple formula , and placed him on prednisone at the advice of the Vet. His licking stopped within a day or so. Now, we are at the last week of prednisone at the every other day stage, and the licking has begun again. I have been wiping his feet off when each time he goes out and comes back in. Last I saw the vet they mentioned environmental allergies as well and suggested if prednisone does not work to place him on either Ctytopoint injections or apoquel. I am hesitant to place him on any long term use. Any advice would be helpful.
The Second question I have is regarding Acana. He seems to really like it, I have no issues with him eating it ( where as other dog foods always required "toppers") Now I am seeing bad reviews. There are some claims it causes DCM in dogs, Does any one have any history with using this type of food???

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
i believe Acana is one of the foods on the FDAs list that means there have been reported dog deaths. Having been thru food caused DCM I do not recommend taking any chances I only wished I had a warning they are still not sure what is triggering the DCM but it’s thought to be peas and legumes these ingredients are used to boost the protein content of these foods without using the more expensive meat. You have to aware of grain inclusive foods as well peas should not be in the top I think it’s 8 ingredients. I will never ever again take a chance like that with my precious dogs. Cytopoint worked really well for my female and with time you may find that you can go from a monthly shot to an every other month it has fewer side effects than apaquel as well my dog could not tolerate apaquel but my previous dog did ok so it’s whatever you decide and maybe the allergies will calm down as winter sets in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spent 45 minutes with the vet today. Now referred to a dermatologist. Red mouth red Paul’s red ears all symptoms of severe allergies which we knew. He stated allergies of this nature typically a result of Thyroid issues. 20% of dogs fall into this category of which he stated 80% of the 20% are boxers. Anyways that’s the latest of our saga

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
One thing I truly get sick of are all these so called Boxer statistics and none of them have been proven true of any Boxer I have had. I have seen plenty of other dogs sick with “boxer statistic” diseases though. The allergist will probably want to go the skin prick test like they do humans that in our area is about 1500 dollars I know this because a friend of mine did that and then there are allergy shots which you give the dog yourself they are supposed to make the dog not react to whatever their allergy is (there could be multiple). That whole thing didn’t work for my friend she couldn’t bring herself to give the shots so her dog ended up on apaquel for about 2 years then her allergies resolved on their own. That dog is 9 now no thyroid problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just because he is inside dog doesn't mean it can't be environmental allergies. We had an allergy test done on my youngest because he had allergies so bad before he was even 1 year old. It turns out he has a dust mite allergy, allergy to house flies, along with a long list of outdoor allergies as well. We have started immunotherapy and it sucks because his allergies usually let up around this time of year with humidity levels going down but since he is being injected with his allergens once a week we are still dealing with outbreaks that have to be managed until the therapy starts working in about 5 months or so. I don't know whether to recommend immunotherapy yet because we are still early in the process, but I would suggest getting an allergy test done so you can maybe help manage his allergens better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spent 45 minutes with the vet today. Now referred to a dermatologist. Red mouth red Paul’s red ears all symptoms of severe allergies which we knew. He stated allergies of this nature typically a result of Thyroid issues. 20% of dogs fall into this category of which he stated 80% of the 20% are boxers. Anyways that’s the latest of our saga
we are only a couple days in but looking much better. Our 75lb male is on 1 zyrtec and 9 Benadryl. We give 3 in the morning, 3 afternoon and 3 at night.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i believe Acana is one of the foods on the FDAs list that means there have been reported dog deaths. Having been thru food caused DCM I do not recommend taking any chances I only wished I had a warning they are still not sure what is triggering the DCM but it’s thought to be peas and legumes these ingredients are used to boost the protein content of these foods without using the more expensive meat. You have to aware of grain inclusive foods as well peas should not be in the top I think it’s 8 ingredients. I will never ever again take a chance like that with my precious dogs. Cytopoint worked really well for my female and with time you may find that you can go from a monthly shot to an every other month it has fewer side effects than apaquel as well my dog could not tolerate apaquel but my previous dog did ok so it’s whatever you decide and maybe the allergies will calm down as winter sets in
Thank you for this information. I did not know about DCM and Acana. I have stopped it and now on the hunt for new, safe food for my gus!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts