Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I can do, or use to clean the brownish red under his eyes. I knows there due to fluid release from the eye, but wondered if there was anything that works well to keep this as white as possible?
Jeter, and Josh

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't have a white, but there are wipes you can use for tear stains. I've seen them at Petco. We used to use them on our Boston.

·
Registered
693 Posts
We have never tried it but I've  heard of people on here using baby wipes to keep the area under the eyes clean. Blitzen doesn't get a lot of eye discharge so we have never tried it. I'm sure somebody else with a whitey will chime in also. :D

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Diet helps with tear stains.  Also tear stains are a form of yeast.  If you get the over the counter woman's yeast infection cream, and use it on a cloth, it should remove the tear stains.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
there is an eye cleaner you can get that is in a little bottle.  I will have to look and get the name.  But it works pretty good, you just have to use it every day and then after a few months it will be a very pale pink.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am not sure but I think that someone mentioned cleaning with baby shampoo (no tears).

·
Registered
255 Posts
When we got Porter, he had massive tear stains, so we bought the unscented baby wipes from Target and used those and it cleaned him right up.  They're only like $1.50 for 80 of them!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks guys and gals. Its not that he discarges alot of stuff from eyes at all, but more I would like it as white as possible. Not a big deal, just wondered.

How can diet affect this?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sadie has a little discharge under her eyes that is clear.  I've seen some whites that do have the tear stains.  That could be from a food allergy, or it could just be allergies.  What are you feeding at the moment?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its Nutro something. Like rice, oatmeal, and chicken mix for puppies I do believe. It has no by-products the lady said, and was a great puppy food.
If anyone has any thoughts please let me know?
The only other thing he gets is his little treats for his potty breaks, and those are healthy as well. Its not that he has big stains, but they are a bit maroonish colored. No discharge really.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Nutro, in my opinion isn't the best food and there have been some issues that have come up lately regarding dogs getting sick..There are a couple Sticky topics in the food section that rates food and also has a list of premium foods recomended by Whole Dog Journal...It's a lt of times a trial and error to find something good, but believe me, you can and will see a huge difference..With a young pup tho, I would not do any sudden changes, if the Nutro is what he is used to, feed him that for a couple weeks and use that time to search out something, then very gradually start introducing a new food....A lot of manufacturers will give you free samples to try if you ask :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, thanks guys and gals. Ill try the baby wipes. I looked at them last night, and they are pretty faint. But still a bit brownish. Oh well. Ill see what I can do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
we use petkin brand liquid filled swabs for Petey. they look like a qtip, you snap the end of it and the fluid goes into the cotton tip and you just wipe it on. it works really good after a few applications. theyre a little pricey, but with Petey, he only has one white eye and his other one is brindle. just my .02--Rich

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
now that we havent used nutro for about a year..Isis's tear stains are almost gone...we use unscented baby wipes and the monistat cream when needed..works like a charm !!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts