Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Day 4 Update:

Well thank you again Everyone for your thoughts and prayers for Serenity! They must be working because she is doing much better (so far) today!! :hrtbounce: MOST of her hives are gone that were throughout her body, except for on the top of her head between her ears is still pretty bumpy and the bumps feel very hard. The swelling around her eyes has gone down more, but her face, especially the area between her nose and her eyes, and her cheeks are the same as the top of her head. The ointment seems to be helping with the itchiness on her face, although she does still try to scratch herself by rubbing along EVERYTHING! The only difference we have noticed today is that she is covered in reddish-pinkish colored blotches in places where she use to have hives. She’s spent most of today curled up sleeping and again she had two more accidents in the house, but that too was expected to happen with all things considering. I’m just glad she’s starting to feel better. Here are some pics of how she looks today.

I called the vet clinic this morning and talked to the vet tech that answered the phone about Ren having noticeable improvement. She was very happy to hear that and said she would let our vet know right away and that if we needed anything or if her hives flare up badly again to give them a call.

We’re going to give her another oatmeal bath again tonight because that really did seem to make a big difference! She was so much more comfortable throughout the entire night. She didn’t whine or whimper once and after she crawled up into bed she didn’t need to reposition herself at all.

Oh that poor girl! She will get better but the allergen needs to work it's way out. She will probably be tired from her meds but maybe she will get much needed rest - you, too! I love her picture in the tub - you can almost hear her saying "ahhhhhhh!"
:lol: Yup! That was pretty much her reaction to her oatmeal bath last night! I had to carefully take her legs out from underneath her to get her to lie down in the tub because she absolutely HATES bath time. Then I had to laugh because it was almost as if she went to stand up and once she moved she realized “hey this feels good!” and let herself relax and sink back down into the water!

Have you found out what first caused the reaction? Is there a wasps nest around under a porch or even in the ground? Do you have fire ants? I would hate to see her start to get better only to have another attack.
I know, I too would absolutely hate for her to have another allergic reaction breakout and I wish we knew what exactly caused this, but unfortunately we have no clue. The vet thinks she was either bit or stung by something when she was outside because of her reaction when she was on her way into the house after going potty but there is really no way for us to know for sure. We have checked around in the yard for bees/wasps nests and have found none and fire ants don’t exist around North Dakota because since they are not able to survive our long winters with hard freezes. We have also been taking her outside on her leash and only allowing her to go in a certain areas of the yard. The mosquitoes are HORRIBLE around here this time of year, but our vet didn’t seem to think that was what caused this… so I don’t know. I know my daughter sometimes swells up from mosquito bites, but I’m not sure if dogs can have the same sort of reaction to them…who knows??

It sounds like after about a month goes by and once she is completely back to her normal self and the allergen has worked its way completely out of her system that we can run some tests to try to find out. Only problem with this is that our vet told us that the tests will not tell you if they are allergic to specific insect bites or stings, such as bees or wasps. Just have to wait and see then I guess…

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Whew!! She looks MUCH better!!! What a scare. Hoping for continued improvement as the days go on.

·
Registered
790 Posts
She has the cutest face, I just want to give her a kiss. By the way you explained her initial run in the house being all freaked out, Tyson did the exact same thing after being stung in the house by a hornet that got in. Your description sound exactly the same, it was almost bizarre. So for now i would probably assume that was the cause....we were lucky though and he had no reaction. He has now been stung 3 times this summer and had the same "i saw a ghost" reaction each time.

Hope she is 100% tomorrow, she looks like such a sweetheart! You are such a good parent for getting her all the help she needed!

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
I am so glad Ren is doing better! I would like to kiss that sweet little face, poor little girl. Please keep us posted....LOL xoxoxo to Ren

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
09/04/2010 ~ Day 5 Update:

It has been a VERY good day for Ren! :up: It’s obvious that she is feeling much better today because she has been acting more and more like her usual outgoing and playful self! I cannot even begin to describe how relieved we are!! Here’s how she looks today. :)

The reddish-pinkish colored blotches throughout her body are still there, but ALL of her hives have disappeared!! The only bumps that remain are the ones between her eyes & nose, along her cheeks and those on the top of her head. They seem just a little swollen but that’s more so because she has scratched/rubbed them open and they have scabbed over. We have been able to keep her from scratching at her face for the most part, but the second she rubs herself along the carpet it’s too late.

She’s had a couple more accidents in the house today... I’m starting to wonder if we should be concerned about this. :sigh: I know the vet said that the steroid injections she’s received and the medication she’s been on would make her thirstier which would also make her have to pee more but she doesn’t even let us know she needs to go outside. She has been completely potty-trained since she was about 4/5 months old and when she needs to go outside she has always been extremely vocal about it, until now. The past few days she doesn’t even make a sound. We can let her outside and she’ll pee and we’ll bring her into the house and sometimes not even 20 minutes later and she has an accident on the floor. No warning, she just squats. It’s almost as if she can’t even sense that she’s doing it and then afterwards she cowers down like she’s in trouble. We haven’t scolded her because we’ve just figured it’s a side effect of everything she’s been through and we take her back outside where she finishes. My husband and I don't know what to think about this...???:-??

Other than that, she’s been doing really well! I just hope she continues to improve like she has been and her accidents in the house stop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Wow she looks great! I can still see some bumps though :( Glad she is improving. She is such a cutie! I wonder about the accidents too.. Maybe a quick call to the vet is in order.. I know it's a long weekend with the holiday, but i'm sure they would understand.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Ren, baby girl, I am so glad you are getting better. I am beginning to wonder if all the meds may have given her a bladder infection of some sort. I too would call the vets office about this. The main thing is she is getting better, thank God.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I am so glad Ren is doing much better. The peeing on steroids is probably normal. It really makes you have to go - so does antihistamines. The medications reduce inflammation and inflammation is liquid so out it comes! If she is on pain meds they could make her a little less likely to fee the signal before she has to go, as well. I guess she could also be a little shy to go out and pee since she was bitten. Perhaps she was stung while she was squatting? Ouch. That would make me pee-shy too!

Continued health to all!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Day 6 Update:

Serenity had another good day today! The bumps on her face and head aren't nearly as hard and swollen like they were yesterday, although she does continue to try to scratch/rub herself along the carpet, she looks so much better! She has quite a few scabs and tiny patches of missing hair throughout the top of her her head where the bumps are but hopefully in time they will heal up and the hair will fill in again. We are just so grateful to have our lil' girl feeling better! It's not fun when our furbabies are sick, especially in a situation like this one where it seemed like there was absolutely nothing we could do to help comfort her.

She only had one accident in the house today. She piddled a little in her bed. Guessing this happened while she was asleep. We figure since she doesn't seem like she's uncomfortable or in pain in any way that we'll just keep a close eye on her and I will call and talk to her vet first thing Tuesday morning. Our vet clinic and the other clinics in our town rotate/take turns for which clinic is on call during the week and over the weekend. And since I know our clinic is closed and our vet is out of town, I would rather wait and speak to her when she gets back since she already knows everything about Ren's case and is the one who has been treating her for this, rather than dealing with an outsider from a completely different clinic who knows nothing about what we have been through with her.

I will continue to keep you all updated!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
That's great that Ren is doing better and only had one accident yesterday. I'm so glad she's getting better.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Day 7 Update:

:clap:Yey! Today has been a great day for Serenity! She is acting more and more like herself! Not one accident in the house today and she is back to being vocal about when she needs to go outside and go potty! I honestly believe it was just all the medication that was the cause of her accidents. It's obvious she is feeling better because her energy level continues to become more and more each day. She has been extremely playful today, which is great to see since all she has done since this happened is rest, but we're still talking it easy with her. I can't imagine it to be a good idea to get her all worked up and excited while she's on this steroid medication.

Thanks again Everyone for all of your kind words, thoughts and prayers you shared for Serenity! :)

Here's a pic of her being (as my husband calls it) a "Mama's Girl" today!

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
We could already see a marked improvement in the 2nd set of pics,she had eyes!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Although Serenity is continuing to show improvement from her allergic reaction as each day passes, we have now encountered another problem as of the past few days... she has ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE GAS!!!!! :stink: I mean the "evacuate the room IMMEDIATELY!" kind!!! Could this be caused by Temaril-p, the medication she is on???

I know it's common for Boxers to have gas, and for the most part she has never been all that bad. Don't get me wrong, every now and then she has her days, but lately OMG!!! She has been a VERY stinky girl!!! Granted, she does give off a warning sigh before she lets out her almost silent air "pfft" sound. LOL They may be silent but man, are they deadly!!!

Is there anything we can do to help this smelly problem of hers???

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It's so bad that she can't even tolerate herself! A few minutes ago she was all cumfy and snuggled into the blankets and after about the fourth one she let go she got up and spun around in a circle, laid back down, buried her nose underneath the covers and then put her paw across her face!!!! NOT EVEN JOKING!!! Lee and I were laughing hysterically as we hid our noses in our shirts!!! :ROTFLMAO:
This lil' girl is one farting machine tonight!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
So glad to hear she's doing better! It's probably the meds that are giving her the gas. When Brody was on corticosteriods for an allergic reaction to poison Ivy he had the worst gas i've very smelt in my life!! So i'm sure it will get better!! Good luck and keep the windows open LOL

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Its the bad stuff that are getting out...evil cant possibly smell good!

:ROTFLMAO:

21 - 40 of 67 Posts