Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Ren, you little fart box, I am so glad you are on the mend! No doubt the meds are causing her excess gas at present. Hey, it won't last forever. Really great pic of you and Ren!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Awww, you two look wonderful! So glad she is doing better, except for the, uh, smelly problem!!!

Seriously, though, it could be due to the steroid use. Not only do antibiotics have a tendency to destroy good bacteria in the gut, but so do steroids... That being said, you can replenish the good bacteria. In her situation I would use a capsule called RenewLife Ultimate Flora (found in refrigerated section of health food store). It's a "critical care" probiotic used in times of stress or when medications deplete the good bacteria. I'd use that one for a month and then you can switch to a nonfat plain greek yogurt or PLAIN kefir (found in organic section most of the time). Kefir actually has 10X the amount of active and live cultures than yogurt. I just add a half a cup per meal. My dogs get kefir daily. I switch it up all the time. I'll use kefir for a while and then yogurt and then pills. But get yourself some of the flavored ones. They're actually really yummy!! It's more like a smoothie.

Good luck... Hopefully your house can become "fresh and clean" again soon! LOL.

·
Registered
59 Posts
oh damn ... our dog walker just phoned to say Allie has hives up her back and one eye is swollen ...

luckily the vet is at the end of the street and the dog walker is there with her now

something similar to Briggs09 story - she got spooked last night at the park and she tried to hightail it home ... that's a different story, and I'm not sure how it could be related, but it is interesting to note the similarities

more to come ... hang in there Allie - you're a boxer and a true fighter ...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yey!!! Serenity finished her last dose of medication this morning!!! :clap: WOO-HOO!!!
She's doing awesome! Definitely back to her normal, crazy, wiggle-butt self again!! LOL Hopefully now she won't be such a stinker!
There are still a few little bumps on the top of her head that are still healing from where she wouldn't stop scratching, but the scabs are almost completely gone and her hair is finally starting to grow back.

Thanks again everyone for all your thoughts and kind words! Your support meant a lot! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
boxer has hives and swollen eyes (stinging nettle)

**I apologize now for this being so long, but I wanted to share our experience with all of you incase this type of thing should ever happen to your own Boxer. We honestly had no clue what to do in this type of situation. Hopefully this helps.** :)

Last night around 6:30pm my husband took Serenity outside to go potty. She was on her way inside when suddenly something spooked her and she high-tailed it towards the house so fast she even tripped while climbing up the stairs. The second Lee opened the screen door she bolted into the house and you could tell something wasn’t right with her.

Within about 5 minutes we noticed that her face was swelling. Her eyes were a little red and puffy and she was starting to break out in hives. Immediately I gave her one 25mg tablet of Benadryl. This wasn’t the first time this has happened with her and the Benadryl has always worked. Not this time… within minutes her eyes continued to swell until they were almost completely swelled shut and the number of hives increased that appeared throughout her entire body ranged from about the size of a dime to a nickel if not bigger. It was almost as if she had patches of hives spread out in all different areas on her body.

I called the emergency after hours hotline for our vet to see if there was anything else we could do for our baby girl. She informed me that I could give her another 25mg tablet of Benadryl, since Ren weighs in around 50 pounds, and that within the next 2 hours the swelling & hives should go down and she should go back to her normal self and if she did not then I was to call her back because she would need to be brought in to be seen. She asked if she was having any respiratory problems, which she was not and informed me that we would need to contact her and bring her in immediately if she developed any. I hung up the phone and immediately gave her another 25mg Benadryl tablet and sat on the floor with her and held a cold washcloth over the top of her eyes to try and help comfort her.

We kept a close eye on her over the next 2 hours. The poor thing could not get comfortable. We felt so helpless. She kept trying to scratch her face/body by either rubbing up against us or dragging herself all sprawled out along the carpet and would constantly paw at her face. You could tell by the expression on her face that she felt absolutely miserable. She would just whimper and whine and reposition every 60 seconds.

About an hour and a half went by and she seemed like she was getting better. The swelling in her eyes had gone down and her eyes were actually opened, not just two tiny slits that she could see out of and the hives along her body didn’t seem to stick up as high as what they were. Then suddenly, BAM! Her eyes were almost completely swelled shut again and the hives appeared, covering her entire body.

At 8:45pm I called her vet again and she recommended that we bring her in. Doc looked her over and said that she was having an allergic reaction to either some type of bug bite or sting. She treated her with two injections: Epinephrine 1:1000 and Dex Na Phos inject 4mg/ml -- “Benadryl and Steroids” as she called it. She told us to call her in the morning and give her an update on Ren because if she wasn’t 100% back to normal she would have to be brought in again and treated with a second dose of injections. She also informed us that she is going to do some checking and will be writing us out a prescription for an Epipen that way we will always have a dose on hand since with every allergic reaction the next one is always going to be worse than the one before.

This morning you could tell that some of the hives went away and the swelling had gone down but swelling around her eyes and hives were still very noticeable throughout her body. I took her back into see the vet and she was given two more injections: Dex Na Phos inject 4mg/ml and Diphenhydramine inject 50mg/ml. She said to call her later to give her another update on how she was doing.

Ren slept most of the day. She was still a little puffy around the eyes and the hives had simmered down to where I couldn’t tell if they were actually hives or just mosquito bites. I called and talked to a vet tech and she was going to inform our vet of her status.

Within a half an hour we noticed Rens eyes and face became extremely swelled again, and her hives broke out again all across her body. I called the vet back and she said it was safe to give her 2 more tablets of Benadryl and just to keep an eye on her throughout the night and to call her with any questions or concerns. She also informed us that after giving her this dose of Benadryl that we would not be able to give her anymore medication nor would she be able to inject any into her system because the steroids and still working and nothing would be able to be done until tomorrow morning.

So… this is where we are at now... just waiting to see what happens. After I gave her the 2 tablets we noticed a big difference in her, which is a good thing because she can not have anymore doses of Benadryl tonight and the vet said she can not give her anymore injections until tomorrow morning. I'm just grateful the swelling has gone back down (for now) and the hives have started to disappear, although they have not completely gone away.

Here are some pictures of when we first noticed her eyes were swollen and she had developed hives… It was hard to get her to stay still in the light because they would blend into her coloring, so the pics don't do justice, but you get the idea. Unfortunately we didn’t have time to take any pictures of her after the swelling/hives had gotten worse.

I will keep you all updated on how she’s doing. Right now Ren is curled up on the couch sleeping soundly. Hopefully she will wake up in the morning and nothing will be wrong with her. :pray: Let’s keep our fingers crossed!
My boxer also has had this happen twice, i figured out it is stinging nettle growing in some areas of our yard,i gave him 3 benadryl tabs and by morning he was better,and the next evening, mostly cleared up and back to normali am in the process of getting rid of the stinging nettle, its hard to eradicate.Mack was so miserable for a few hours.It looked like he had gotten into a fire ant bed but tahat wasn't it,Hope this helps someone not to worry to much.Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
My boxer also has had this happen twice, i figured out it is stinging nettle growing in some areas of our yard,i gave him 3 benadryl tabs and by morning he was better,and the next evening, mostly cleared up and back to normali am in the process of getting rid of the stinging nettle, its hard to eradicate.Mack was so miserable for a few hours.It looked like he had gotten into a fire ant bed but tahat wasn't it,Hope this helps someone not to worry to much.Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
my lil girl is broke out in hives really bad and I feel so bad for her :( gave her a benadryl abt 3 hrs ago so here in abt an hr I'm gonna give her another and hopefully they start to go down. any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
my lil girl is broke out in hives really bad and I feel so bad for her :( gave her a benadryl abt 3 hrs ago so here in abt an hr I'm gonna give her another and hopefully they start to go down. any other ideas?
:( Poor girl…

How much does she weigh? And how much Benadryl did you give her?

The reason I’m asking because it's possible that a dog may suffer kidney and liver damage if they are given too much Diphenhydramine. It's also important that you give this medication at the correct intervals, normally every 8 hrs.

You can give 1 mg of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) per 1 lb of the dog's weight.

Here is an alternative method to determine the dosage dependant on your dog's weight:
* Up to 30 lb dogs - 10 mg of Benadryl per 8 hours.
* 30-50 lbs dogs - 25 mg of Benadryl per 8 hours.
* 50 lbs and over - 50 mg of Benadryl per 8 hours.

She may have gotten stung or bitten by something. Or she may have just got into something that caused her to have an allergic reaction… if that may be the case, you could try giving her a cool bath or shower to rinse her off. (You wouldn’t need to use shampoo, just plain water.)

If her face becomes swollen or she starts having trouble breathing you need to take her into the vet immediately!!

If she is still swollen in the morning I would highly recommend calling and talking to your vet to see what they think you should do next. I know from experience that sometimes it takes more than just a few doses of Benadryl to get the hives/allergic reaction to go away.

Hope your girl is feeling better soon. Please keep us updated. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 5 month old puppy had exactly the same thing happen, he had 6/7 reactions in 48 hours, he had pirition, and many injections at the vets. He is now on steriods every other day and has been for the last 6 weeks now. They have stopped the hives and the swelling but he also wee's alot more and is still really sleepy and wont eat! The vets said the steriods should make him more playful and eat more but if anything they have had the opposite effect. The vets were worried if the steriods didn't work he could have a tumour but since the steriods are working they are happy that it isn't that. But due to him still being so sleepy and not eating I am starting to worry again, his getting so thin. So glad your serenity is better :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My boxer yesterday had one of his eyes swell up, as well as his cheek, tonight i have noticed both eyes are swollen but not bad. We have given him benedryl every 8 hours and the swelling has gone down. We are taking him to the vet in the morning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
allergic reaction plz help!

Hi, Really sorry to bother you but i came accross this post whilst trying to find out what happend with my puppy . I have a 15 week old english bulldog named boo. Everything you said happend to her on saturday night and we had to rush her to the emergency vet looking at your photos all of her symptoms where identical. Boo was dischagred 12.00pm sunday only for the same to happen within a few hours. The vet hasnt been able to provide much info at all baisically said it could be a number of things. I would really appreciate it if you could shed any light on to my situationa as anything would be helfull at this point. I am due to pick boo up from the vets after work today and dont want it to happen again . Is there anything that worked for you or anything to avaoid maybe a possible cause for the reaction and has this happend again? Sorry for so many questions I am just really worried and cant seem to find answers anywhere.:confused:
Thank you xx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lucy had a similar thing happen to her a few years ago. She was outside and after he came in, we noticed her shaking her head a lot. In a few minutes her eyes we swollen almost shut, but no hives. We called the vet and he said give her Benadryl liquid and wait awhile. Within about an hour, she was almost normal and by the next day it was like nothing happen. We discovered later she had been stung by a bee and had a reaction to it.
We have to watch her when we take her to new places. She will chase the bees and they don't play well....or is she trying to get revenge?

·
Registered
811 Posts
It's a scary thing when it happens to ur loved one. Baby Dutch had (from what I have read on here thus far) had a mild case of hives but at the time I had no clue what was happening to him. The next day we made a trip to my vet who I love dearly as does Dutch and 2 shots later he was back to normal in a matter of hours! Thankfully, he has not had another outbreak and its been @ 1 month since the incident! I really hope ur baby is doing well now! I'm prepared for next time though thanks to reading all the posts on here!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need advice

May I join?.. Hi I have also question.. Does anybody know about the ImmuneIQ test here? I want to get it for my labrador but would like to hear from someone who purchased it.
I am considering buying the ImmuneIQ test. Found out about it in Animal Wellness magazine article. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well I am kind of in the same situation with Jase. Yesterday afternoon, after playing outside he had hives all over his tummy, neck and inner thighs. I wiped him down with warm water and a wash rag, by the time we went to bed he had hives all over and I could feel them through his hair. I gave him 50mg of benadryl and he fell asleep. He wasn't or still hasn't been scratching. This morning he still had them so I called the vet and we can't get in until tomorrow morning, but to call if I notice him struggling to breath, his breathing has been fine. She said to give him 2 more benadryl then, a.m. and 2 more before bed. Now, he has very tiny blisters on his tummy and I also see some on his ears. Today when he went out to poop, 2 times he has had tomato skins in his poop. We are in the country so I'm not sure where he got them. I don't grow them. I have read online that tomatoes are toxic to dogs, is this true? I read a lot of different articles, but none that I read said anything about hives. Could someone give me any more info on tomatoes? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Well I am kind of in the same situation with Jase. Yesterday afternoon, after playing outside he had hives all over his tummy, neck and inner thighs. I wiped him down with warm water and a wash rag, by the time we went to bed he had hives all over and I could feel them through his hair. I gave him 50mg of benadryl and he fell asleep. He wasn't or still hasn't been scratching. This morning he still had them so I called the vet and we can't get in until tomorrow morning, but to call if I notice him struggling to breath, his breathing has been fine. She said to give him 2 more benadryl then, a.m. and 2 more before bed. Now, he has very tiny blisters on his tummy and I also see some on his ears. Today when he went out to poop, 2 times he has had tomato skins in his poop. We are in the country so I'm not sure where he got them. I don't grow them. I have read online that tomatoes are toxic to dogs, is this true? I read a lot of different articles, but none that I read said anything about hives. Could someone give me any more info on tomatoes? Thanks!

Tomatoe plants contain tomatine which is poisonous if enough is ingested. It is found in the green parts of tomatoes (leaves, stem, unripened green tomatoes) As tomatoes ripen, the levels of tomatine decrease making them safe for consumption.
Hives are not a symptom.
Eating the green parts can cause gastro irritation, ataxia (lack of coordination), and weakness.

:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tomatoe plants contain tomatine which is poisonous if enough is ingested. It is found in the green parts of tomatoes (leaves, stem, unripened green tomatoes) As tomatoes ripen, the levels of tomatine decrease making them safe for consumption.
Hives are not a symptom.
Eating the green parts can cause gastro irritation, ataxia (lack of coordination), and weakness.

Thanks, that's what I read. His poop did have red skins in it. A little while ago I was wiping him down again, on the inside of his legs he has hundreds of tiny black dots that I didn't see earlier, but not on his tummy, that I can see. I scraped a small spot and some came off, I think they could be seed ticks, but they aren't moving. He does have topical on but it seems the tick portion always wears off in a couple of weeks, which is where we are now, 2 weeks in. We do reapply every 3 weeks. I wonder if they are seed ticks, could they cause a rash like that? Seed ticks are what we call them in Missouri, they are smaller than a sharp point of a pencil. If they are larger in the morning, I'll know what they are.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Thanks, that's what I read. His poop did have red skins in it. A little while ago I was wiping him down again, on the inside of his legs he has hundreds of tiny black dots that I didn't see earlier, but not on his tummy, that I can see. I scraped a small spot and some came off, I think they could be seed ticks, but they aren't moving. He does have topical on but it seems the tick portion always wears off in a couple of weeks, which is where we are now, 2 weeks in. We do reapply every 3 weeks. I wonder if they are seed ticks, could they cause a rash like that? Seed ticks are what we call them in Missouri, they are smaller than a sharp point of a pencil. If they are larger in the morning, I'll know what they are.
I've never heard of seed ticks, so I just looked them up. They are ticks in the nymph stage apparently.
Says a lot of times they can be removed by placing packaging tape over the area and then lifting it off.
You should treat your property as well as the dog.
I recommend food grade diatomacious earth.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've never heard of seed ticks, so I just looked them up. They are ticks in the nymph stage apparently.
Says a lot of times they can be removed by placing packaging tape over the area and then lifting it off.
You should treat your property as well as the dog.
I recommend food grade diatomacious earth.

I don't think that is possible, we are in the middle of 500 acres of oak trees. lol!

41 - 60 of 67 Posts