Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last night..Piper threw up 2 times...and I mean really threw up.  I didnt know she had that much food in her stomach!  After she got it all up, she appeared to be better and wanted to play.

But this morning when I woke up, I noticed that her one side of her jowls was a swollen..and when she opened her mouth, I could see that her lip or jowls on the inside looked puffy as well.  

Of course I called the vet and took her in for a visit..when I took her in, he said it looked like she had an allergic reaction to something and he gave her a Benadryl shot.  She seems to be ok now.  

I was just trying to recap last night, and think what it was that could have made her have an allergic reaction like that.  The only thing I can think of was that I gave her a new kind of treat that has Salmon in it.  The vet didnt seem to think that salmon could be the problem..but then again, you never know.   He said it could have been a plant or a bug bite that did it.  He said I may never know.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing..and did you ever find out what the culprit was?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Two times.

One was spider bite, the other was rock salt from the driveway.  Its hard, and could be anything.  Most food alergies are not that quick to happen, and IMO what you described sounds more like a bite than a food reaction, but do understand where you are being cautious.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would say a bite of some sort as well. To have an allergic reaction that quickly to a treat is kinda rare. But if you aren't sure, hold off on the treats for a bit to see..The Benadryl should take care of it...Sometimes it's really hard to monitor what our babies get into, but always best if you aren't sure to check with your vet :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would think some type of bite too.  Kiah reaction to food allergies was runny poo or vomiting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts