Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished watching a movie and noticed lexis face is super swollen. Thinking she ate something or got stung by something at the park a few hours ago. We just gave her a dose of Benydryl. How long should I wait before taking her to the vet? She doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. ImageUploadedByPG Free1412121067.973527.jpg this is the best picture I can get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - I called the vet and he told me to give her a bit more Benadryl and that it might take overnight for the swelling to go down. Here is a better picture. Still a big cutie! ImageUploadedByPG Free1412122745.735304.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lexi's swelling has gone down around her face and after a long two days she seems almost back to normal. I noticed tonight while I was checking her over that her belly has all the red spots on her. I'm wondering if this is what caused the reaction.. I didn't notice them before, although we were pretty focused on her face. The vet also didn't see them when we had her in.. Can dogs get poison ivy? They don't seem to be affecting her at all.. No licking or scratching. ImageUploadedByPG Free1412302115.431463.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1412302132.916846.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Lexi's swelling has gone down around her face and after a long two days she seems almost back to normal. I noticed tonight while I was checking her over that her belly has all the red spots on her. I'm wondering if this is what caused the reaction.. I didn't notice them before, although we were pretty focused on her face. The vet also didn't see them when we had her in.. Can dogs get poison ivy? They don't seem to be affecting her at all.. No licking or scratching. View attachment 91697 View attachment 91705
Generally, Dogs don't get reactions from poison ivy as far as I've ever known. I know that the oils from poison ivy can be carried on their fur and transferred to humans when petting or just general interaction.

I don't think that's poison ivy, though I'm not a vet.

It looks like a full body reaction (allergic reaction) to something but I couldn't even guess what without seeing the environment and interacting with the dog.

The more info you post the more I, and others, can advise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They aren't raised at all, just like red blotches. They went away a bit over night but she is still not her self. She slept on the couch all night which is unusual for her. She always wants to spoon with me. I woke at 4am and she still wasn't in bed with me. I went to check on her and she was in the same spot on the couch where I left her when I went to bed. She got sick on the floor and now is making this sound.. It's hard to describe but it's like a dry coughing or snoring sound. I called the vet when they opened and he thinks maybe she's just still itchy in her mouth from the reaction and suggested I give her a half dose of Benadryl. She still has her very good appetite and when I took them to the park behind my house when I was home for lunch she was playing. So, I guess I'll just wait it out and see how she is over night. If she hasn't improved I'll take her to the vet in the morning.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top