Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor boxer boy Jax is 4 1/2 years old and we think he was stung by a bee. His left eye swelled and we started Benadryl since we typically have bees in our yard with our lemon tree. The Benadryl wasn’t making it better but he’s been eating and playing but looks miserable. Today we attempted the vet and due to social distancing we were not allowed to go in with him. He apparently didn’t do well without us there and they could treat him. They advised us to continue Benadryl and if not better by the weekend to come back and they will need to sedate him in order to treat him (he hasn’t done well at the vet (He need to have a muzzle)
since we had him fixed earlier this year. Now we have noticed little bumps on his right eye next to his tear duct. Any clue as to what this is? All of our boxers have reacted differently to bee stings and this is his first time being stung. Any ideas to what else we can do? His left eye is getting crusty now.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Good thing is if he was stung by a bee, he is not seriously allergic. Some dogs go into anaphylactic shock.
You could try a cold pack on his eye to also help reduce swelling if he lets you.

Hopefully the swelling is going down. If not, I'm sure the vet will be able to help you out this weekend. If it swelled up immediately I'm going to guess a bee sting, if it swelled up gradually over days it could be an infection. Just make sure if they are sedating him not to use acepromazine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Well the "Good New's??" is he seem's not to be susceptible to "anaphylactic shock." Some Boxer's or dog's I suppose?? Are highly susceptible to insect sting's! . Unless you happen to have an Epi Pen at hand ... you "won't be able to get them to medical care in time! "

Many years ago a "bee sting," took out another "Bella." She was in the Back Pen at the Vet Office one of the Vet Tech's dog's. And when she went to check her ... it was already sadly to late. :(

But some Boxer's do have more tolerance for insect sting's?? They just well ,swell up like balloon's?? They happened to my Struddell, many year's ago. I got home form work and she comes running up
to me smiling and wiggling like always. But she looked funny I thought??

But she acted fine, I greet her and she goes off and play's, so it must just be me?? After a few minuet's I cal her back and I see and I am like "WTH??" This time there is no doubt! Something is off her?? Her face has swelled up like the Michelin (White Boxer) WTH?? She is still smiling and goofy but clearly ... "something is wrong!" So off to the Vet we go!

We don't know what happened exactly?? We don't have many Bee's here but there are Wasp and Ant's?? The vet said most likely insect bite's?? He gave her a shot and said just keep an eye on her. We did and she was but ... we never knew what that crap was about??
!"
Most likely your guy is a similar deal. And unfortunately his uh ... ill behavior at the Vet Office has it's blow back as you now can see. That was something ... that should have been worked on ...but to late now, cuz of Covn 19!

Moving on ... putting him under for this is the last thing I would do! Vet's tend to use Ace ... which "unless," they happen to know what they are doing ... "Will Kill BOXER'S!

But Benadryl, will work fine. And you can use Hydrogen Peroxide to keep the area and his face clean, don't get it in his eye's of course and putting hot pack's (not to hot of course) can help with the swelling also.

·
Registered
516 Posts
They should have given him a shot of Benadryl I would think and maybe a steriod as well. I can't believe they couldn't manage him I am sure that a lot of dogs don't want to be treated. I had a previous male boxer and he was allergic to a cough tab that the vet gave him as he had contracted kennel cough he swelled up all over his body within 20 minutes of taking the pill. Then when he was older he was stung on his male danglies by one of those carpenter bees he got really swollen back there too poor guy same treatment. I hope you boy does better if it was me the lemon tree would be gone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thing is if he was stung by a bee, he is not seriously allergic. Some dogs go into anaphylactic shock.
You could try a cold pack on his eye to also help reduce swelling if he lets you.

Hopefully the swelling is going down. If not, I'm sure the vet will be able to help you out this weekend. If it swelled up immediately I'm going to guess a bee sting, if it swelled up gradually over days it could be an infection. Just make sure if they are sedating him not to use acepromazine.

Good luck!

thank you so much! Another person also mentioned acepromazine...good to know!! He still looks pretty bad but now thinking all his rubbing and scratching of the area may have caused a secondary infection. He goes to the vet tomorrow so wish us luck. Thanks again for your feedback!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They should have given him a shot of Benadryl I would think and maybe a steriod as well. I can't believe they couldn't manage him I am sure that a lot of dogs don't want to be treated. I had a previous male boxer and he was allergic to a cough tab that the vet gave him as he had contracted kennel cough he swelled up all over his body within 20 minutes of taking the pill. Then when he was older he was stung on his male danglies by one of those carpenter bees he got really swollen back there too poor guy same treatment. I hope you boy does better if it was me the lemon tree would be gone!

Good luck!
thank you so much! It’s definitely our fault for not socializing him and he hates the vet but to not be in there with him probably made it worse. I am surprised they didn’t treat him but thank you for the “ace” tip. Had no idea. We go back to the vet tomorrow so I will be sure they don’t use “ace”! I appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Oh my getting stung in the nut's?? Sounds particularly ... uncomfortable?? Glad he was OK and I guess some bees are just mean! :)

And I am sure they would have given the dog a shot ... if they could have?? But Vet's and Vet Tech's are "Not" Dog Trainer's. Yes getting bit is an inherent part of the business ... but it would be "irresponsible," for a Vet to put
themselves and there staff in the path of a "Clear and Present Danger," as it were.

Bad Vet Dog's is kinda unusual on here, for the most part?? But on Germanshepardforum ... it was kinda
Par for the course?? Lot's of Dog's needed to be pre drugged and muzzled up for a Vet visit???

My Rocky (WL GSD) did not much care for people. But in doing lot's of "work," to get him be ... less of a walking liability as it were. A "side benefit of "I got your back," was Vet visit's?? The first time we in for a vet visit "after his dislike for nearly everyone, showed up"?? He was muzzled but he did so well ... he never needed it at the Vet's again. He knew "how to behave at the Vet and he did fine." :)

Course that was then and this is now. And back then ... uh back then, being last year?? You could go in the room with your dog and now "apparently," you can't?? Socializing a Dog is gonna be fairly "difficult," to accomplish these day's ... in the "Traditional Manner."

LOL course I was ahead of the curve as it were, cuz in "Socializing Rocky," I was always "Hands off my dog" and I/We stayed five feet away from people ... anyway. I guess now I'll have to add another foot to my established five however. :)

But most likely a year or so from now ... with "Social Distancing," at play with a lot's of new puppy's growing up at critical socialization age's in the day's of "Shut Down and Owner's always home??"

We are gonna see a whole new wave of ... "Baddly Behaved, nerotic Dog's going forward??? But hey I don't know so just saying. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My poor boxer boy Jax is 4 1/2 years old and we think he was stung by a bee. His left eye swelled and we started Benadryl since we typically have bees in our yard with our lemon tree. The Benadryl wasn’t making it better but he’s been eating and playing but looks miserable. Today we attempted the vet and due to social distancing we were not allowed to go in with him. He apparently didn’t do well without us there and they could treat him. They advised us to continue Benadryl and if not better by the weekend to come back and they will need to sedate him in order to treat him (he hasn’t done well at the vet (He need to have a muzzle) View attachment 135774 since we had him fixed earlier this year. Now we have noticed little bumps on his right eye next to his tear duct. Any clue as to what this is? All of our boxers have reacted differently to bee stings and this is his first time being stung. Any ideas to what else we can do? His left eye is getting crusty now.

Update!!!!
Went to new vet. They didn’t sedate him and allowed my husband and I to be the room with him. We muzzled him and they kept him calm. Shaved his face around his eyes, rubbed betadyne all over to get the crust and scabs off and then gave him steroids and antibiotics. This is an allergic reaction to some weed in our backyard not a bee sting or anything like that and the Benadryl was NOT doing anything for him. Needless to say we spent 2 hours cleaning up the yard to get rid of any weeds and are treating him with the prescriptions along with eye/ear cream the vet gave us. So thankful the vet was so amazing and let us be in the room with him to keep him calm. We are in Southern California and we have had a lot of recent rain which led to weeds now with this now heat wave we are having. We forget how sensitive our boxers are to plants and didn’t think anything of the weeds. Thankful this new vet was so helpful, loving to our dog and gave him what he needed.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Thanks for the Update! And yeah often find a different Vet is good advise. But these day's lot's of them are doing the no client's in the room bit. Can you get a picture of the weed?? Or is it to late??

It might help other's to be more aware of potential issue's. Out here (Northern NV) the only weed's we tend to have are cheat grass and Tumble weed's. But glad he did better with you guy's in the room and the muzzle is just a good precaution ... Good Job, glad he's doing better. :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Poor boy! I hope he feels better soon. I read there are some grass type seeds that grow out there that can get in their feet and work their way in I wonder if he got into something like that? At least he got some help. They do seem to be more sensitive to weeds and moldy leaves as well. My little girl swelled up really bad all over one spring when I took her out for a woods walk it was straight to the Vets she was lumpy all over and swollen face.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!! Okay it’s been an awful weekend. We found a new vet and too our boy to see them. They treated him amazingly! Didn’t have to sedate, gave him Benadryl, antibiotics and steroid injections along with face cream. Using a betadine/saline eye wash solution combined to clean around his eyes and finally today we see improvements! Yesterday our older boxer (11 1/2 yrs) passed away unexpectedly but thank god we were all home and with him. It’s been an exhausting weekend emotionally and physically but I am so glad this forum is here. Appreciate everyone’s feedback about not sedating and getting treatment. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am so sorry you lost your older dog that is always so hard I know I lost two of my boxers in a row in the recent past all you can do is love them and make happy times and memories with them while you have them enjoy your time together for as long as you can you got good years with your boy. I am glad the one with the eye issue is getting better and you got a better Vet to see him. I know from experience that if a Vet is afraid of a dog already and some of them are, your dog will act worse around them but if they come in with a positive take charge attitude its usually Ok. I know what you mean by things happening all at once it leaves you a little stunned at first hopefully things will straighten out for you now. Again my condolences.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Sorry about the loss of your older boxer. 11 1/2 years though is a really good run.

Glad you are getting some answers and resolution for your boys eye.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Update!! Okay it’s been an awful weekend. We found a new vet and too our boy to see them. They treated him amazingly! Didn’t have to sedate, gave him Benadryl, antibiotics and steroid injections along with face cream. Using a betadine/saline eye wash solution combined to clean around his eyes and finally today we see improvements! Yesterday our older boxer (11 1/2 yrs) passed away unexpectedly but thank god we were all home and with him. It’s been an exhausting weekend emotionally and physically but I am so glad this forum is here. Appreciate everyone’s feedback about not sedating and getting treatment. Thank you all for your help!
Sorry for your loss.
Glad to hear your younger boxer is doing better. One of our boys was either stung or bitten by something years ago, but he got hives that lasted most of the weekend. We were back and forth to the vet. We keep benadryl on hand all the time for our furkids. I hope he heals quickly.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Glad to hear your boy is doing better, sometimes it takes a different set of eyes from a new vet. I am sorry for your loss of your older boy. 11 1/2 years is a good age and I'm glad you could be with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am so sorry you lost your older dog that is always so hard I know I lost two of my boxers in a row in the recent past all you can do is love them and make happy times and memories with them while you have them enjoy your time together for as long as you can you got good years with your boy. I am glad the one with the eye issue is getting better and you got a better Vet to see him. I know from experience that if a Vet is afraid of a dog already and some of them are, your dog will act worse around them but if they come in with a positive take charge attitude its usually Ok. I know what you mean by things happening all at once it leaves you a little stunned at first hopefully things will straighten out for you now. Again my condolences.
Thank you. It’s been a tough couple days but knowing he had such a good life makes us all happier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the Update! And yeah often find a different Vet is good advise. But these day's lot's of them are doing the no client's in the room bit. Can you get a picture of the weed?? Or is it to late??

It might help other's to be more aware of potential issue's. Out here (Northern NV) the only weed's we tend to have are cheat grass and Tumble weed's. But glad he did better with you guy's in the room and the muzzle is just a good precaution ... Good Job, glad he's doing better. :)
Unfortunately we didn’t think to take pictures of the weeks but go to know...will do if it happens again. Thanks for all the well wishes!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts