Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i'm new to this forum and new to the boxer scene.  We got a georgous 2 year old boxer a little over a month ago.  We had been looking for the right one for over 2 years and when we found her we couldn't pass her up.  She looked healthy and sharp.  We got her updated on shots, changed her from cheap pedigree food to Nuro Natural Lamb and Rice and give her baths twice a week with a dog shampoo that is supposed to be sensitive to the skin(my husband has dog allergies so this is the only way we can have her in our house)  She goes everywhere with us, plays in the snow, stays in the house most of the time w/ the exception of walks, etc.  She is a great dog but about 3 weeks after we got her we were at my in-laws house and she randomly broke out into hives all over her back and neck.  Nothing on her stomach, face, ears, etc.  They didn't seem to be too ichy or anything so we just left them alone they just looked funny.  They stayed around for about a week and a half then died down a little.  When we came back to our house she hived up again but this time her hair on her back between her shoulders started thinning and she looked like she had some dandruf.  This time they were a little more ichy but stilll nothing like scratching to bleed or anything.  I tried to get my best look at them and they aren't sores or anything just bumps some red some not.  Her ears are spotless clean and the rest of her skin looks heathy and hairy.  She still looks really healthy just these hives and dandruf... I just gave her some benadryl to see if they were allergies and am trying to narrow it down but I thought i'd get some outside opinions.  She is not outside enough to be any kind of plant alergy i don't think, especially cause the ground is covered in snow.  I was wondering if it could be a food allergy and what i should switch her to, i only have Petco to shop at.  Or do you think I need to invest in a better shampoo and conditioner maybe that is causing too much skin irritation?  I just thought if it were that it would show up sooner.  Please respond as quick as possible as i have to buy food tomorrow while i'm in town.  She doesn't seem in pain or too irritated just looks funny and if it were Demox i want to catch it before it is bad.  Also we don't have the financial funds to run to the vet for any bump or rash so please tell me what you might think.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
my honest opinion - you are bathing her too much -

give her baths twice a week with a dog shampoo that is supposed to be sensitive to the skin

Dog need little to no baths.  By bathing them too much you strip all essential oil in their skin.  This could be causing some of the skin irritations.  However best to get her to a vet to rule out mange.   They will do a skin scrape.  If it comes back neg, then there is an alergy, whether food or environmental.

I would stop bathing, add in some fish oils to put back the oils into her coat and boost the immune system.   Also look at the label and see what ingredients are in the food.

G

·
0 Posts
It really could be the bathing...boxers should only be bathed once every couple of months, once a month at the most...When you bathe them every couple days you remove the natural oils in their skin and fur and can cause dandruff and irritation...maybe try to use baby wipes on her in between every other week baths or so?

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
perhaps it is the constant bathing that is irritating her skin. boxers are not meant to be bathed so often as they are generally very clean dogs.i only give sumya a bath every one to two months.in my opinion that would be what the culprit is.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
By fish oils maybe add in some canned sardine packed in water or mackrel if you do not  have any salmon oil or it in a liquid form.  I would stop the baths, and try that to her food.     I truly do think its a result of over bathing, and the hive breakout from before could have been a reaction from a bite or something like that -

As far as Pet co - I have heard many good things about Purina One Sensititive Stomach - Salmon and Potato formula - I would not feed any other flavor but this once since its corn free.  But if you have a lot of Nutro, stick with it, and stop the baths.   Boost the immue system with fish oils and let them get into her coat.   - then if all fails, call the vet - could be something else, where a skin scrape will be in order.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Vicious spiral.  I agree that you're definitely bathing too much which is probably causing the problems.  Also, the more you bathe, the more dander and allergens your pup is giving off, making your husband more allergic, which creates the need for more baths.  I also think the hairloss could be an allergy.  Not unheard of to get demodex at this age, but definitely rare unless he's already had it at one point before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
everyone thanks so much for the advice, it seems that there is a common culpurate... bathing.  i'll try that other shampoo, try some fish oils, and back off the bathing and see if that helps.  heck maybe i'll just use a dust buster to suck up the extra hair randomly haha, that is if she wont attack it, vacums are her #1 enemy.  i'll keep you posted but again everyone thanks for the responses.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
hope it goes well!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I agree to try the salmon or fish oil capsules.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You got some great advice, so i have nothing to add other than your girl is gorgous!!! And welcome to the forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just thought i'd let everyone know that after spending like 30 minutes looking at all the dog shampoos at Petco i found one called "Tropiclean"  Medicated Oatmeal+Tea Tree that is supposed to "Soothe and relieve Dry Skin, Flaking, and Itching"  It is soap free and said that it can be used daily even.  Of course i wont be using it daily and i'll definately be cutting back on baths but it has seemed to help a ton.  My girl is all clean and the hives went down a ton.  So i'm thinking the shampoo i was using was just too harsh for her sensitive skin.  Thanks for all the advice and help.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If you are bathing her so often b/c of her loosing hair in the house.. why not just give her a good brushing everyday outside?

she really is gorgeous btw!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My female boxer used to get the same kind of hives...we figured out that it was due to dust or sawdust.  Any time we would do any renovations in our home, she would break out in these huge lumps.  We would give her benedry and that seemed to help.  They also go away as soon as she is removed from the allergens.  It could also be sand.  Hope this helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts