Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody's boxer have allergies that aren't food related? Molly has had like hives or something three times now. The first one was because she can't resist chasing bugs and she ate a bee. The last two times she has come in from the back yard and been covered in bumps. We gave her benadryl like the vet said and they go away in about an hour, but I was just wondering what may be some common allergies for dogs or boxers specifically. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Are you sure she isn't getting stung by bees when you aren't looking?  How about fire ants or any other poisonous critter?  If the benadryl works then it is obviously a histamine problem.  I would scour your yard looking for the culprits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My last boxer was allergic to eggs.  Same thing with the bumps and The Bennedryll worked wonders we used to give her the childrens version of it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Dogs can actually be allergic to everything people can be allergic to so sometimes it is hard to pin point what it is.  I agree with dan. and say check your yard really well.  I have seen results of allergy testing that include: pollen, dust, dustmites, grass, weeds, tree sap you name it....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...well the last time she got them was last night. She came in around 11:00, so I don't think it was bees. We don't have fire ants in Indiana either. It may be something like sharonL suggested. There is an overgrown place behind the house in the neighbor's yard. It's full of weeds and countless other plants, but I've seen her run through it a lot and she's only gotten the bumps/hives twice. I'll probably never find out what it is. Guess we'll just have to make sure we always have some Benadryl in the medicine cabinet.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
GollyMissMolly\";p=\"32641 said:
There is an overgrown place behind the house in the neighbor's yard. It's full of weeds and countless other plants
It could be that.  There may be something in there that only pollens or blooms every so often....I agree keep some med's for her.  If it is the "brush pile" then once the cold weather kills it off it should be better.  :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts