Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently adopted a 9 month old puppy from a man who was no longer able to care for her. Her diet consisted of part cheap kibble, part cheap canned food, random feedings of banana, canned pumpkin, raw eggs and sardines (not the best quality.) I tend to feed my older boxer (4years) organic fresh with small amount of cleaner kibble. This puppy came to us with severe skin issues. Scabbing, redness, bloody scratching; on her head, outer ear flaps, neck, chest and under front legs. The man told me he had taken her to the vet and switched up her diet 3 different times and thinks maybe she is allergic to his cats. I am going to take her in myself to confirm it isn't mites, bacterial or yeast. My question is what can I safely feed her? Should I make her an homemade diet? I see so much conflicting info and I just want to help clear up this issue and get her thriving. Thanks in advance!
Nose Vertebrate Felidae Gesture Whiskers

Cat Textile Felidae Carnivore Fawn

Dog Carnivore Ear Fawn Comfort

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What are you feeding and what are the 3 that did not work?
Have you been to your Vet?

Have you read a review on what you feed?
Thanks for the reply. I stopped the foods he was giving her. He was giving her purina kibble and pedigree canned. All adult food. I have some grain free dry food by Fromm and some canned to mix in as well. We have a vet appt. On tuesday. I honestly dont think he was switching over to anything specific or for a proper length of time. I am open to any homemade recipes to try or specific cleaner brands. To me it seems this poor babys system has been overloaded and too early.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Purina dog food is not a bad food most Vets recommend their products Vets as well as Veterinary nutritionists. It amazes me that people trust the word of someone in a boutique pet food store over someone who has actually gone to school for 8 years to study. Grain free dogs foods are linked to DCM and death in dogs I know this for sure because two of my dogs died from exactly that within six months of each other. Go to the FDA website and read about it. The puppy should be on a puupy food such as purina pro plan puppy or Royal Canin boxer puppy. These could be very well outdoor allergy’s the puppy has or something going on in the house. There is a shot called cytopoint that may help it is very expensive but it works if it does this is not a food allergy but environmental. Spring and summer bring pollen and mold my dogs have reacted to mold before please take the puppy to a vet and get some good advice on what to do and yes they can be allergic to cats my friends boxer tested positive for cat allergy

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would try a fish based diet, 1st a good fish based kibble only to supplement, you want to stay away from farmed sources, Wild is good. Maybe 7 fishes by who?, Fresh is best if you live near a coast go to the local boats coming in, you could cut clean and freeze for months on the cheap.
That's the best case scenario, If not a good canned Mackerel, just mackerel & salt, open the can, open the mackerel de bone, Rinse you do not want too much salt or calcium. You could leave some bone it's cooked and totally edible top off the kibble with a fish oil capsule and doggie vitamins.
And I do use fresh beef hearts, two or three times a week. Your dog will look like a Champion within a month. With the most beautiful coat,

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I think flea allergies can cause skin problems. Not sure how to fix that. The vet dermatologist we saw mentioned Ultamino Veterinary food as a trial to rule out food allergies. Can you get a referral to a vet dermatologist? It might be worth the money if you can avoid the "trial and error" of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try "Just Food for Dogs". They offer a variety of proteins or problem-specific foods. Worth investing in good quality food. I would stay away from supermarket foods like Purina.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I recently adopted a 9 month old puppy from a man who was no longer able to care for her. Her diet consisted of part cheap kibble, part cheap canned food, random feedings of banana, canned pumpkin, raw eggs and sardines (not the best quality.) I tend to feed my older boxer (4years) organic fresh with small amount of cleaner kibble. This puppy came to us with severe skin issues. Scabbing, redness, bloody scratching; on her head, outer ear flaps, neck, chest and under front legs. The man told me he had taken her to the vet and switched up her diet 3 different times and thinks maybe she is allergic to his cats. I am going to take her in myself to confirm it isn't mites, bacterial or yeast. My question is what can I safely feed her? Should I make her an homemade diet? I see so much conflicting info and I just want to help clear up this issue and get her thriving. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 137287
View attachment 137288
View attachment 137289
Hi,
My boxer was allergic to eggs but it wasn’t the vet who helped me figure it out. His coat had bald patches and he would chew his feet all the time. My vet gave him drugs for scabbies. I noticed most dog foods have eggs in them. I started with a dog food with limited ingredients and just added chicken breast or ground beef. His coat become beautiful and shiny. I never went back to that vet

·
Registered
1 Posts
Y
I think flea allergies can cause skin problems. Not sure how to fix that. The vet dermatologist we saw mentioned Ultamino Veterinary food as a trial to rule out food allergies. Can you get a referral to a vet dermatologist? It might be worth the money if you can avoid the "trial and error" of doing it yourself.
Allergies was the Diagnosis for 2yrs, come to fi d out it was Flea Lice after my home was infested.I only kno of brown fleas but the truth is there are 4000 species of fleas.It took 4months to completely get rid of them blood suckers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts