Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our vet told us that Guido has allergies. He is always licking his legs and his eyes are always bloodshot. I can't believe the previous owners let it go for so long! We are giving him Benadryl every day and he is a lot better after that. Has anyone have a dog with allergies? How do they usually test for that? I would like to see what they do to determine what his allergies are from because it seems to be a year round problem.

We just moved to a new area and I am currently researching veterinarians to find the best one. I don't want to take him to the one that he had before since he was going to put him down for bad reasons.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If his previous owners were going to put him down because of behavior problems... im not suprised that they let allergies go...

I would go to another vet.  Usually a sign of allergies is biting feet, not licking.  And also check if his feet are red.

And Maggies eyes are always bloodshot!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well once he has the Benadryl he stops licking all together and his eyes clear right up and turn white again. It's hard to keep up on that and remember to give him the Benadryl every day...I was just wondering if they could do something different for him so that he's more comfortable all day.

I am definitely changing vet's. I wish we could continue going to the one we had on the other side of the state, but she is just too far away. I guess the vet he went to before we got him was just for boxers, but I don't want to take him there because of the poor decisions that they make.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
It might be a specific type of alergy.   Have you tried changing his food at all?  THat might help!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually we have changed the food twice and that didn't make a difference. I also changed the treats I gave them, but that wasn't it either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It took us 4 foods before we finally got it right, I was starting to think it wasn't food. We went from Nutro Max to Natural Balance- then there was the recall. We then tried Wellness Simple but it gave our little girl the run, so for the last 3 weeks they have been on Canidae and seem to be doing good. I would try a few foods with nothing else- no treats or biscuits and see if that helps. I know how fustrating it is- hang in there. Good luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Allergies are a tough thing to diagnose..Angel has allergies from pollen, but that's it...Food allergies generally mainifest themselves a bit differently if I remember right. If you are trying ot find out if it's a food allergy, the key is diligence, you have to make sure that Guido eats nothing else, but the food you give him, no treats..He could be allergic to corn, chicken, a lot of things..What food are you feeding right now? If you need a good list of foods, check this out..It's a thread that has a good list of recomended foods and then you can google the ones you are interedted in for a breakdown on ingredients.

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=659

1 - 7 of 7 Posts