Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My white Boxer (Chase) has terrible allergies.  He gets big lumps all over his body and is miserable.  He vomits, itches and sleeps when he has an out break.  I know certain foods cause him to have a reaction.  This morning the poor boy climbed into bed with me and my Husband and put his big head under my neck.  I looked at his face and once again, he was lumpy.  Poor guy, his lips were swelled and he had bumps all over the top of his head.  We give him Benadryl, and let him sleep it off.  I am not sure what caused it this time.  We haven't changed food and the bag of food he is eating out of isn't brand new.

I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and what they do.  It just takes the Benadryl a couple of days to really work and the poor guy is miserable in the mean time. :(

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Alergies can be a wide variety of things from food to environmental.  If he is having constant outbreaks then the Benadryl is only going to be a bandaid to the issue.   Have you taken him to the Vet?  They may perscribe something a bit stronger like Teraril P (thats what we use) for the itchies until you can find the root of the problem.

What is he eating?  Does it contain corn?  Grains??  How long has he been on this food?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has been to the vet for it.  It only happens 2 or 3 times a year.  The vet told us to just give him the Benadryl.  He has been on the same food for over a year.  We went through all kinds until we found he could eat this one without an issue.  Our other Boxer seems to tolerate it well too.

We feed them the Nutro Max -Natural Choice Large Breed Adult Lamb Meal & Rice

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It does sound like something more than a food allergy.  I'd try to take special note of any changes in the environment or any special foods you give him.  If it only happens 2 or 3 times a year, write down each time what time of year it was, the weather, any changes in the house, and any different foods you recently gave him.  It does seem like white boxers are more prone to these severe allergic reactions.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
If its only 2 to three times then definately an environemntal thing.   If constant, then it would be food related.  However any certain treat or extra ?  Cleaning product?

Spider Bites?  or something like that.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have read that in humans at least, rain can really trigger outdoor allergens so that is a possibility.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Hanna's flare up randomly and can be bad.  I have been to the vet tons of time, and always keep some Temeril P (its an antiflamatory with mild steriod) on hand in case.  It takes any out break right down.    So if the Benadry is working, then just keep it on hand, however shall you be constantly giving it, I would ask the vet for something a little stronger to keep on hand.

Good Luck - I hate the itchies!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Oh I gave Oggie Temeril P once, he got so sick....I decided whatever he had at the time wasn't that bad after all

G

·
0 Posts
my mom's dog Buster- beagle/italian greyhound mix gets bad allergies in late fall and winter...the vet is suspecting it could be the furnace...what kind of heating cooling do you use?  is it seasonal or year round?  How often do you shampoo your carpets?  Maybe it could be something like carpet cleaner or upholstery cleaner or something like that?  If you wax your wood floors (if you have them) could it be the wax?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
The furnace is always a good culprit.  My pup definitely didn't like the heating system.  I have forced air gas, and he would start sneezing when the heat blew out of the vents.  I bought better quality air filters and I also got the filters you can put over the vents.  That helped a lot.  But I would think that would be a constant reaction, like once it gets cold the heat comes on a lot.  I would expect it to be more than 2 or 3 times a year.    Could be chemical, could just be seasonal too.  

FYI don't get forced air heat if you can help it, it sucks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Poor guy, his lips were swelled and he had bumps all over the top of his head.
The boxer Kira of my friends has also problems with such allergies.
First she got a diet dog foot but with this Kira got hyperactive (it is
another possibility how an allergie is noticeable.

And: Kiras lips are swelling if she get

1 - 12 of 12 Posts