Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally this is not about Gypsy per-say,

We got Gypsy about 4 months ago now and for a non animal person, a person who has never owned a pet and was always happy that pets were never in my house. Don't get me wrong, I like animals...just not in my house.

I did a lot of research on breeds and I had read that boxers are one of the top breeds for ANXIETY DISORDERS and DEPRESSION which myself and our 11 year old daughter suffer from. Also I've always known that i have allergies but I read that boxers aren't bad and my sister in law ( who we got our girl from ) said that her and her husband who also have allergies are not bothered by theirs, so... I caved.

It was really rough at first to say the least as some of you know from the questions I have been posting. The hyper activity and her being deaf has been extremely trying at times. I did NOT immediately love her or even like her but she has grown on me like everyone in my life have said and the biggest factor my daughter is doing well, which is the biggest bonus.

Her is the problem.....

I'M ALLERGIC TO HER ? what do I do. Getting rid of her is NOT an option.
I have tried all of the allergy pills and I have a steady stream of benadryl going in my body and I still feel plugged up and I have a rash on my hands, chest, neck and face. With summer coming long sleeve shirts and sweaters are not options either.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted you to have the full spectrum.

So what I want to know is if anyone else has this problem and what are you doing?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
So finally this is not about Gypsy per-say,

We got Gypsy about 4 months ago now and for a non animal person, a person who has never owned a pet and was always happy that pets were never in my house. Don't get me wrong, I like animals...just not in my house.

I did a lot of research on breeds and I had read that boxers are one of the top breeds for ANXIETY DISORDERS and DEPRESSION which myself and our 11 year old daughter suffer from. Also I've always known that i have allergies but I read that boxers aren't bad and my sister in law ( who we got our girl from ) said that her and her husband who also have allergies are not bothered by theirs, so... I caved.

It was really rough at first to say the least as some of you know from the questions I have been posting. The hyper activity and her being deaf has been extremely trying at times. I did NOT immediately love her or even like her but she has grown on me like everyone in my life have said and the biggest factor my daughter is doing well, which is the biggest bonus.

Her is the problem.....

I'M ALLERGIC TO HER ? what do I do. Getting rid of her is NOT an option.
I have tried all of the allergy pills and I have a steady stream of benadryl going in my body and I still feel plugged up and I have a rash on my hands, chest, neck and face. With summer coming long sleeve shirts and sweaters are not options either.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted you to have the full spectrum.

So what I want to know is if anyone else has this problem and what are you doing?

Funny thing, I had a golden retriever for 13 years and never had an issue. Talk about hair and dander!

Got my boxer and didn't have a problem at first. Once he turned about 6 months whenever we played or he licked me I started to get hives wherever his saliva was on my skin.

I didn't take anything for it, just washed with cold water and soap, and it seems like my body adjusted by itself. No issues now.

Sounds like you are having congestion issues but I didn't have any of those symptoms. Sorry.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's ok,
That's part of what's happening to me...wherever she touches me I break out in a rash/hives and also congestion?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So good news bad news, I am not allergic to gypsy it is a severe pollen allergy specifically pine pollen.

So when she is playing outside or going for a walk she is getting it on her then getting it all over me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Glad to hear that it's not her. A friend of mine and her husband desperately wanted to adopt a boxer mix from the shelter but her allergies were way to bad. They were heartbroken.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
So, you can use a damp cloth to wipe her down when she comes in from outside as well as rinse her feet off. This will help remove the pollen from her coat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts