Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who lets their boxers have free roam of the furniture?  Is it only when they are invited or whenever they want?  Do you let them on some furniture but not on other?

Right now Tango has not been allowed on our leather sectional or bed.  We have a fold out bed that he is allowed on in the guest room.  He has been doing good and listens very well.  I just want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Since we only have a couch and a big chaise lounger we let Beckham up on furniture.  We're trying to make sure that it's only when he's invited, that does not always happen, but if I ask him to get off, he will and won't get back up till I say it's okay.   If I had super nice expensive furniture and no cats, it might be different, but since I don't and do he's allowed up.

Same thing with the bed, only when invited and he doesn't sleep with us overnight, just cuddles before bed time.  

I was concerned about confusing B, but he doesn't seem to have a problem with it at all.  I get out of bed after cuddle time and he stands right up and jumps down to his kennel without hesitation.  8)

If what you're doing works for you and Tango then keep on doing!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I let the dogs on our furniture because everything has a slip cover on it. I probably shouldn't let them up there since Macy won't lay on the floor anymore, but it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Kane stands on the loveseat to look out the window when I go out.  As soon as I see him, I say no and down and he gets down, but he just gets right back up there.  He sleeps on our bed and we all like it that way, just our choice.  But I wish I could teach him to stay off the loveseat, only thing I can think of is moving it away from the window, but any advice on this matter would be appreciated.  I'm on my way to Petsmart to find him some new toys and perhaps a dog bed -- I've never crated him as when he was abused, he was kept in a crate all the time and still has spots on his legs where he rubbed his legs raw, so haven't had the heart to even try a crate, it will be a must for a new pup though, just so she can have her own space to relax and feel safe.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
In this house, it's pretty much "wherever she may roam!" I have leather couches in the family room, so that is very easy to clean if she should happen to use that as a napkin after her dinner. :eh: The couches in the living room are made of cloth, so I keep a cover on those. But, yeah she is allowed wherever.  Sometimes if I'm really nice she will even let me sit on the couch! :bigrazz:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
So far the boys are allowed on the couches unless they start roughhousing...then they have to get down...but, we have to chairs that are round and soft and they have each picked one for their very own...but, we also have four sons, three of them teenagers...and not very new furniture...if I were worried about protecting furniture, my kids would probably have to stay on the floor too!! ;)

This is one of the two favorite chairs..they are older and shaped perfectly for a boxer dog to lay in...they've become raised dog beds!LOL!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona is allowed on the couch and the bed is the guest room, whenever she wants.  She is not allowed on our bed and does not sleep in the bed with us.  She has never just jumped up on our bed. It is high off the ground so I think it is only because she does not KNOW she could.

·
Registered
186 Posts
harley has a loveseat at the window that she will jump on whenever and thats "her" couch. the other couch she will put her hea don and whine and wait to be invited up. she will also wait to be invited up onto the bed also. i cover her loveseat with a sheet so i can wash it whenever since se does shed alot. the other couch is leather so it doesnt matter really with it. she also free roams the house, never been crated and is perfectly fine when we are gone. she usually just sleeps when we are away for a while.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We allow our boxers on the furniture. Haylee would be very upset if we didn't. She lays on the arm of the couch and watches out the window all the time (can't see out the window b/c of all the nose prints).
We did get newer couches several months back and I told my husband that the dogs were NOT allowed on them...well, that lasted about 10 minutes after we got home with them! They just looked at me with those big, sad eyes and I couldn't say no! I guess I am just a big pushover when it comes to those 2!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha that is a great last post.  Thanks for the responses and pics.  I guess what I wanted to know was pretty much answered.  If we let him on the couch but not in the bed, how much would he whine and be confused.  It sounds like some of your boxers do just fine with only being allowed on certain items.  

We crate Tango only when we are gone.  If we are home he is out.  At night he just sleeps on pillows around our bed.  Our bed is also pretty high up.  

I was also thinking about letting T stay out of his crate during the daytime once he is body trained.  I just want to know that he won't eat our couch or attack the tv while we are gone.  Right now it just keeps him safe, helps in house training, and protects the furniture lol.

Do you guys think it would be okay to let him out once he is house trained and a little more mature?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Tango\";p=\"23048 said:
Do you guys think it would be okay to let him out once he is house trained and a little more mature?
I had the same question a few weeks ago.... This was from my post:

We have been toying with the idea of leaving Fiona out and wondering if she was "ready" for it. Well she showed us last night she was.

My husband and I stayed up late watching a movie and I told him we would crate Fiona when we were going to bed.  Around midnight he called her to get in her crate and locked the door.  SO HE THOUGHT.......

I woke up this morning looked over and saw the crate door open and no Fiona in there.....I of course started checking out the house to see where the poop and pee was and what had been chewed on.....To my suprise nothing was out of sorts.

** Fiona has not been back in the crate and has not had any problems.  I guess it has been about 9 days now. However, prior to this it had been about a month and a half since she had any accidents in the house.  No two are alike so, maybe just go at Tango's speed and use little trial sessions....:)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Tango\";p=\"23053 said:
How old was Fiona when you guys let her stay out...or when she snuck out lol.
She will be 6 months on the 22nd of August.....This was just less then 2 weeks ago she had her sneek attack!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6 months seems like a good age.  Tango still has some aging to do before we even think about it.  Its just good to know what works for other people.

·
Registered
165 Posts
When we got Bella, the rule was absolutley not on bed/furniture b/c our lab is not allowed. Well, it didn't work..damn those sad eyes.  She stretches out on my chaise in the living room and cuddles in our bed before bedtime. But she does sleep in the dog bed w/ the lab at night.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I do... lol as long as they get off when I tell them to, I don't mind where they lay their toosh..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts