Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned my back from Sadie this morning for about 2 mins..trying to do the breakfast dishes  :| and when I turned back around she had a dead piece of aloe plant (that had fallen off of the plant onto the floor) in her mouth. She was just gnawing on it, I opened her mouth and it looked like she hadn't swallowed anything. I was wondering though, is aloe gel inside the leaves harmful to her?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Aloe is not harmful to dogs.  Now you would not want them to go and eat whole plants at a time.  :D

Aloe juice is actually used to help treat arthritis and joint problems in animals.  Aloe contains a product called gibberlin, which decrease inflammation of joints. There are many vet products that contain aloe juice.

Also, most owners of white boxers and other breeds are advised to keep sunscreen on them while in the sun.  Generally sunscreens have aloe and it does not hurt them if they lick it.  8)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sharon! That eases my nerves. For some reason my BF thought that Aloe was toxic to dogs...he thought he read that somewhere. So I was thinking oh no, this poor girl, she lives at the vet and shes only been home a week!  :wink:

I also see Sadie chewing on a plant (almost as big as a tree) in our living room as well. I'm not sure what type of plant it is, but it looks like this. Do you know if this plant is harmful? I sprayed natural anit chew stuff on it but she just licks it up!  :lol:  I'll have to switch brands.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Looks like a ficus tree. I don't think they are poisonous at all.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tootsie/Sharon- Yes you are right it is a Ficus, it was given to me by my friends who were moving and couldn't remember the name.

Tootsie-Cayenne pepper...I will try that one!

Sharon- Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it!

·
Registered
405 Posts
For humans, aloe can be good for your digestive tract too...they actually sell aloe juice.  Not the worst tasting stuff, but by far not the worst...blending it with something like orange juice or cranberry juice makes it a bit easier to swallow. Or vodka...whatever your pleasure may be. hahaha j/k. So I would assume that it may have the same positive effect on a dog's digestive tract.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts