Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 month old pup that we are adopting from another military family moving overseas. We have been to see him a couple of times and he plays great with our current boxer. The current owners are great people, but maybe uneducated when it comes to having a boxer ( I by no means know everything either...I'm trying to learn though  :wink: ). They said they just found out he was neutered, but not by them, the breeder they got him from at 8 weeks. When I asked why the breeder chose to go that route, they said they didn't know and said the info wasn't from the breeder but some lady on the street who noticed that he was missing his male anatomy and asked why they would fix such a beautiful male who they could surely stud out. So they aren't sure it was the breeder, they are just going off the fact some lady told them that their dog had no testes.

So, I was thinking last night, I wonder if the pup has two testicles that failed to come down. When we first got our puppy I was very proactive in asking questions at the vet regarding timing, pros and cons, and the different aspects when it came time to neuter our little guy, that is when I learned that boxers can often retain one or both and abdominal surgery could be required. (Eddie is good- both guys came down).  So I guess my question is this, what can I look for when I see him on Friday to tell if he has had the surgery versus testicles still not down. Incision scar? Will there be loose skin supposedly to be a sack if they guys are hiding? The pup is super friendly and I'm hoping to get a good belly rub in so I can check him out. We will still adopt him either way, I just want to be prepared so that  we can get him taken care of when he comes home with us. Thanks for any input!

Rebecca

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
At 10 months if he has no testicles I would guess he has been altered already...They can retain both testicles but it is not very common.  It is more common to only retain one....You can look for a scar between the base of the penis area and where the testicle sack would be....You can look to see if the testicle area is smooth or if there is "flappy skin", if he was altered at 8 weeks then he would probably be smooth anyway.....

Usually you can lift them by the front legs into the air while they are standing on the rear legs (which makes the skin tight on the stomach area) and look to see if you see any lumps in the testicle area or the stomach area....Alot of times even if the testicles are retained you can see them almost like a walnut lump under the skin....

But, as said before at 10 months....no testicles probably he is already fixed!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer. I'll give him a once over when I see him on Friday. I'll be getting his medical records from the other family that day as well. Maybe there is something in them that may provide insight. Thanks again!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Is this the boy you were talking about? I think his name is Lennox? Good luck and of course we want to see pics

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is Lenox or Lenny as they call him. I'm not sure if we are going to keep the name or change it to something else. My husband thinks it would be funny to change Eddie's name to Squiggy. I don' think that will be happening.  :D  That dog is gonna be seeing stars with all the pictures I plan on taking! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i like his name they said they named him after Lenox Lewis..hes soooooooooooooooo gorgeous !!! i only saw 1 pic but boy oh boy is he handsome..

tomorrow is friday !! whooo hoooo for you all !!!! im excited for ya !!

lmao @ lenny and squiggy..haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

let us know when you all are ready to have a playdate...going to the Moanaloa dog park this weekend.( under tripler bridge) this weekend..calling Theresa to bring her Shamrock and calling Mel to bring Koa who i really think is Lenox's brother...he just got back from bootcamp haha..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts