Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and happy to be here.
My boxer of (nearly) 13 years passed away in 2016 and I'm currently looking for a new puppy. What are people's opinions on American Boxers versus European Boxers? Is it strictly an aesthetic preference or are there health issues to consider? Also, does anyone have a American/European mix?
Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hi all,
My boxer of (nearly) 13 years passed away in 2016 and I'm currently looking for a new puppy. What are people's opinions on American Boxers versus European Boxers? Is it strictly an aesthetic preference or are there health issues to consider? Also, does anyone have a American/European mix?
Thanks!
Tom
We think my boxer is a mix of Euro/American. In a separate thread I asked about my guy Zuke and a member who I think only breeds Euro's(Kaco Boxers) said he seems to be a mix. I do have is lineage but I haven't been able to find anything about Euro/American lines.

This was taken when he was about a year and 2 months I believe. He is now 2 and filled out in the chest and hind legs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The reason I asked originally was a few people I know have American line boxers and Zukes head and neck seemed to be much bigger than these adult boxers and a slightly shorter nose. I thought maybe I didn't have a pure bread and started to do some research and realized there were different lines. I had no idea there was even different lines when I got my pup. lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm following this thread with great curiosity! How are American and European lines different, generally-speaking? I am new to boxers as well, and we got Boswell last summer, not from a breeder, but from a lady who assured us the pups were pure bred boxers. He has a smaller head, narrower nose, & longer legs than most of the boxers I see around. Also his eyes are I think smaller and less round. My friend is so convinced he is a mix that she has paid for a canine DNA test! It's through Cornell University vet school -- still waiting for results, lol. Of course we love him to bits and don't really care - just curious!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm following this thread with great curiosity! How are American and European lines different, generally-speaking? I am new to boxers as well, and we got Boswell last summer, not from a breeder, but from a lady who assured us the pups were pure bred boxers. He has a smaller head, narrower nose, & longer legs than most of the boxers I see around. Also his eyes are I think smaller and less round. My friend is so convinced he is a mix that she has paid for a canine DNA test! It's through Cornell University vet school -- still waiting for results, lol. Of course we love him to bits and don't really care - just curious!
I'm no expert I have seen various things on the internet in my research, but just comparing my guy to friends who have American lines, the head is a bit wider, as is the neck. Seems to be a little more loose skin around the neck and face area too. He also seems a bit more muscular as the American line seems to be more of a leaner muscle with tighter skin. I could be totally wrong here though. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I've gathered is that "European" boxers have larger bones, shorter muzzles, and a slanted (versus straight) back. They also seem somewhat larger than the American boxers you typically see. I think that both versions are beautiful. I'm interested to learn more about personality differences and potential health issues between the two.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
We think my boxer is a mix of Euro/American. In a separate thread I asked about my guy Zuke and a member who I think only breeds Euro's(Kaco Boxers) said he seems to be a mix. I do have is lineage but I haven't been able to find anything about Euro/American lines.

This was taken when he was about a year and 2 months I believe. He is now 2 and filled out in the chest and hind legs.
Well KACO can speak for herself of course, but I do believe her dogs are also American/Euro's???

But to be fair I only look at the girls and they seem to be kinda on the Slim and Cute side. So they strike me as "Combo's?? :)

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks!
Tom
Aww sorry for your loss. :(

But 13 years is a pretty good run for a Boxer! I'd certainly go back to where you got him from, to see if they are still breeding???

That aside, I'm impressed that you even know what a Euro Boxer is. Most newbies have no idea that there is such a thing?? I did not way back when I got my first Boxer, Struddell! She was slim, trim and 100% "Goofy" ie "All American" girl.

For "me" she is what I expect in a Boxer. I lost her in 2013 and it broke my heart but time marches on as it were. And I got involved in the Working Line GSD thing?? And that for a "newbie" was a pretty "Butt Kicking" change for quite some time??? "I don't much care for people to start" and downhill from there! But we got it done and "Rocky" turned out to be a great dog!

But it was hardly my "Boxer" experience??? But back on pointe, a full Euro vs a full American, or gonna be two different experiences, I would imagine??

The Euro Boxers are "still" the "Real Deal" working dog's! They are still used as K9's in some parts of America and in Euro. American Line Boxers ... not so much. :)

By all rights ... these days, I should be a full Euro fan??? But ... although, I have never worked with a full Euro Boxers and although members on here have assured that the "Euro's" are also kinda "Goofy!" I don't know?? And what I do is a "full on Working Line GSD in a Boxer suit???"

Most likely that is not fair?? But it is what ... I tend to think?? I've never worked with a full Euro Boxer (in rescue) so I don't know?? I have worked with 50/50's always males and they have been pretty awesome dog's! The girl's regardless of lineage ... are apparently "PIA's??? So there is that. :)

If you have no idea what a real "working dog" is??? Then most likely the best advice is to go all "America" and male or next best American/Euro and male.

And although I tend (I've been told) to hyper focus on one dog! And although he has passed on, to me a full Euro Boxer is typified by "Cliff Von Grand Kevin!"

Cliff vom Grand Kevin

Now that is a Boxer! :clap:

But ... nonetheless, my all "American Girl" Struddell stole my heart! I apparently ... can't let it go?? :cry:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Well KACO can speak for herself of course, but I do believe her dogs are also American/Euro's???

But to be fair I only look at the girls and they seem to be kinda on the Slim and Cute side. So they strike me as "Combo's?? :)

Ah my mistake then.

Only other thing I would add is Zuke seems to be cautious/interested at first meeting a new person or dog. I noticed my friends american lines seemed to be your best friend from a second into the 1st meeting .lol I have no idea if this is part of a difference in lines, or just his particular personality.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Ah my mistake then.

Only other thing I would add is Zuke seems to be cautious/interested at first meeting a new person or dog. I noticed my friends american lines seemed to be your best friend from a second into the 1st meeting .lol I have no idea if this is part of a difference in lines, or just his particular personality.
LOL, yep pretty much! Now I did not screw around with other dogs, period!

But that was about me and not Struddell! But people ... LOL, "Zero" issues! No hesitation whatsoever! Strangers, where the next best thing to baked bread! Struddell, never met a stranger that she did not like!

Most likely "expecting that" was why my first Over Working Line GSD was so "stunning???" I don't know you ...keep your freaking difference! Is how he rolled???

Struddell pretty much automatically liked everyone! Rocky my Over Sized Working Line GSD, liked uh "no one??"

The few "Euro/American's" I have met and worked with (always males???) Seemed to do the "Aloof" thing briefly, but quickly get past it??? :)

And I"d say Wl GSD's ...not so much, but whatever. The few American/Euro's I have worked ... regardless of "claimed" issues, I have worked with I have found to be spectacular! Briefly "aloof" but they get quickly past it???

The "females/Boxers" I tend to think are going to be the most challenging regardless of line??? I tend to like the girls myself ...but I suppose I'm comfortable with crazy?? :cheers:

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
What I've gathered is that "European" boxers have larger bones, shorter muzzles, and a slanted (versus straight) back. They also seem somewhat larger than the American boxers you typically see. I think that both versions are beautiful. I'm interested to learn more about personality differences and potential health issues between the two.
The Euro's are indeed more massive! On FB I saw a White Boxer Female that was a 90 lber??? I was stunned!

Most likely she was an Over Sized Boxer?? That happens with GSD's (OS) so I suppose ...no reason it could not happen with "Boxers??"

But I'm gonna say ... Male or Female is more important then is American vs Euro?? I could be wrong but the only Boxers, I have ever know with uh ... serious issues (including my beloved Struddell) have all been the girls!

Boxer rescue policy policy ... is they will "Not Place" a female Boxer in a home that already has a female Boxer!

If you've ever seen a female "Boxer" nut up on a house mate??? One would understand why that is the policy! Back to rescue you go ... if they are lucky! The girls ... are "different" believe me! But that said ... I like the girls. :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
LOL, yep pretty much! Now I did not screw around with other dogs, period!

But that was about me and not Struddell! But people ... LOL, "Zero" issues! No hesitation whatsoever! Strangers, where the next best thing to baked bread! Struddell, never met a stranger that she did not like!

Most likely "expecting that" was why my first Over Working Line GSD was so "stunning???" I don't know you ...keep your freaking difference! Is how he rolled???

Struddell pretty much automatically liked everyone! Rocky my Over Sized Working Line GSD, liked uh "no one??"

The few "Euro/American's" I have met and worked with (always males???) Seemed to do the "Aloof" thing briefly, but quickly get past it??? :)

And I"d say Wl GSD's ...not so much, but whatever. The few American/Euro's I have worked ... regardless of "claimed" issues, I have worked with I have found to be spectacular! Briefly "aloof" but they get quickly past it???

The "females/Boxers" I tend to think are going to be the most challenging regardless of line??? I tend to like the girls myself ...but I suppose I'm comfortable with crazy?? :cheers:
Yeah, when he realizes, I guess in his mind, there is no threat he does the kidney bean shake. Once he knows you, then its best friends for ever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, when he realizes, I guess in his mind, there is no threat he does the kidney bean shake. Once he knows you, then its best friends for ever.
Totally agree with chip 18 ..2 female boxers in the same house usually doesn't work out well they tend to hold grudges against each other and end up getting in scuffles . Personally I believe the female is the more alpha as far as showing dominance over other dogs than the male . The breed is known to be goofy but fearless they do also have jealousy issues . Usually a male and female will work out a lot better as far as euro vs american lines don't quote me on this but the best answer I can think of is that both american and euro probably share the same dna however breeding over time has made them look like 2 different dogs Europeans bred in thicker bone structure and size and usually keep their tail while american lines are bred to look more sleek and pronounced while docking the tail point being the kept the traits each country liked better and continued to breed that way all in all they should follow the breed standard and shouldn't deviate far from that meaning shouldn't ever see a 130lb boxer..........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think (just a guess) my girl is an American Boxer. She is on the smaller side, smaller head, slimmer. She is 100% crazy, super energetic, even after half an hour-an hour of straight running at the ball diamond! She LOVES all people, she'll wiggle that butt until it almost falls off. However, with other dogs she is not as great (only saw her get truly mad once, but did not like what I saw). I socialized her from day 1 when she was 8 weeks (just with my cousins' dogs, one being a boxer, and I knew had all of their shots). So I'm not sure why she's kind of a jerk, but I think she gets jealous when I pet other dogs. Been trying to train that out. I'm cautious with who I bring her around (dogs, not ppl, loves everyone). Not sure if all female boxers have a jealous streak, maybe just mine?! But from what I've read they're more dominant. Don't know if it's true with both American and Euro?
Here's a pic of her for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Yes from all I have read female boxers are just more alpha which is why its difficult for two to get along in one household a they both have that female dominance. Two males neutered, get along fine, male/female fine. Euro boxers seem to be more of a working line..heavier built, shorter muzzle, bigger head. Just overall stockier than the amor. boxer who is slightly more stream lined to appear to have a graceful look. That how I understand the difference. And ghost stark your girl has turned into a real beauty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes from all I have read female boxers are just more alpha which is why its difficult for two to get along in one household a they both have that female dominance. Two males neutered, get along fine, male/female fine. Euro boxers seem to be more of a working line..heavier built, shorter muzzle, bigger head. Just overall stockier than the amor. boxer who is slightly more stream lined to appear to have a graceful look. That how I understand the difference. And ghost stark your girl has turned into a real beauty.
Akc American just under 2 yrs

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I think (just a guess) my girl is an American Boxer. She is on the smaller side, smaller head, slimmer. She is 100% crazy, super energetic, even after half an hour-an hour of straight running at the ball diamond! She LOVES all people, she'll wiggle that butt until it almost falls off. However, with other dogs she is not as great (only saw her get truly mad once, but did not like what I saw). I socialized her from day 1 when she was 8 weeks (just with my cousins' dogs, one being a boxer, and I knew had all of their shots). So I'm not sure why she's kind of a jerk, but I think she gets jealous when I pet other dogs. Been trying to train that out. I'm cautious with who I bring her around (dogs, not ppl, loves everyone). Not sure if all female boxers have a jealous streak, maybe just mine?! But from what I've read they're more dominant. Don't know if it's true with both American and Euro?
Here's a pic of her for reference.
Hmm , save for being the wrong color ... she reminds me of my beloved Struddell. :)

And the luv of people thing! Yep pretty much the exact same thing! Struddell thought people were the next best thing to baked bread! She never met a stranger she did not like?

But a note of caution if you have a well trained Boxer's ... that pretty much lays on the back off the couch and just monitors the comings and going out her window without a sound?? And suddenly she/they go off one night like a "Stick of Dynamic!!???" One should pay attention!

Struddell was better trained than I understood?? She spotted thieves in the night and did her job! I told her to be "Quite" and she did ... as she now watched radio's form my two cars get stolen!!! My bad ... but you know "Dad said it was OK, so whatever?? :cry:

So you know ... "Goofiness" aside, Boxers are still excellent guard dogs. :)

And as regards other dogs, ... sigh as it happens, my Struddell apparently got along very well with unknown dogs??? She was actually a truly "balanced dog" that Cesar rambles on about. Why that is a big deal is because she was taught to "Ignore Other Dogs!" It was literally four years before she was ever allowed to engage freely off leash with unknown dogs! I trust "No One" we don't do "is your dog friendly met and greets." And we don't do Dog Parks! No dog I do know ... gets close enough to do mine harm without getting past me first! I am seriously hard core anal when it comes to my dogs! And Struddell was never attacked in her ten years of life by another dog ... I'm good with that.

Nonetheless, when she did get to freely engage with a couple of herder dogs, with her there were no issues. :)

Screwing around with unknown dogs, complicates things?? I like to KISS, I train my dogs to "Ignore Other Dogs" and that is what they do. Works out fine for us. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmm , save for being the wrong color ... she reminds me of my beloved Struddell. :)

And the luv of people thing! Yep pretty much the exact same thing! Struddell thought people were the next best thing to baked bread! She never met a stranger she did not like?

But a note of caution if you have a well trained Boxer's ... that pretty much lays on the back off the couch and just monitors the comings and going out her window without a sound?? And suddenly she/they go off one night like a "Stick of Dynamic!!???" One should pay attention!

Struddell was better trained than I understood?? She spotted thieves in the night and did her job! I told her to be "Quite" and she did ... as she now watched radio's form my two cars get stolen!!! My bad ... but you know "Dad said it was OK, so whatever?? :cry:

So you know ... "Goofiness" aside, Boxers are still excellent guard dogs. :)

And as regards other dogs, ... sigh as it happens, my Struddell apparently got along very well with unknown dogs??? She was actually a truly "balanced dog" that Cesar rambles on about. Why that is a big deal is because she was taught to "Ignore Other Dogs!" It was literally four years before she was ever allowed to engage freely off leash with unknown dogs! I trust "No One" we don't do "is your dog friendly met and greets." And we don't do Dog Parks! No dog I do know ... gets close enough to do mine harm without getting past me first! I am seriously hard core anal when it comes to my dogs! And Struddell was never attacked in her ten years of life by another dog ... I'm good with that.

Nonetheless, when she did get to freely engage with a couple of herder dogs, with her there were no issues. :)

Screwing around with unknown dogs, complicates things?? I like to KISS, I train my dogs to "Ignore Other Dogs" and that is what they do. Works out fine for us. :)
Thanks she is a real sweetheart 1 paw 2 paw big lap dog lol ! She fought out of jealousy. The shock was used when she showed her dominant body language which I was trying to eliminate probably the wrong thing to do as I'm no pro but it didn't help to deter her it was her own 1yr old female daughter she is 2 in the pic and has had 2 litters in which she is retired now but we kept a male from the 2nd litter which I'm so proud of he will hang out with me while I work in the garage and alert me when somebody walks up and sit on my feet ,his mother will lead them to the jewels she is now 5 and pup 9 months old we tried to keep a female from her first litter because of my kids loving her so much but we found her a gated home on 5 acres couldn't beat that . Just happy there is a place to talk about boxers

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Hmm this was suppose to be a American vs Euro thread??? But it seems to be a Boys vs Girls kinda thing??? Most likely ... my bad there??

But I think, for the record. It is important , that newbies understand that in Boxer World ... as I read many years ago in an actual Book. The Boys and Girls are different! Nonetheless the fans of the females are pretty hard core! We luv our girls! But all things considered ... if I was to give a recommendation, for a newbie, that wanted to get a Boxer?? I'd say get a "Male." They tend to be a bit less of a "Hair Pulling Experience." Because the males tend to actually "give a crap about what makes "you happy" rather then what makes "them happy."

And I like big dogs, nonetheless, my next my next "Boxer" will be female and most likely an American Girl! I put a high value "Goofy" in a Boxer.

I'm not looking for a WL GSD in a Boxer suit, IE, a Euro??? I have no idea if that is a fair or accurate characterization??? But the Euros are, still doing the K9, in America, apparently?? And the American Line Boxers ... not so much??? Most likely that means something???

1 - 20 of 67 Posts