Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Thanks she is a real sweetheart 1 paw 2 paw big lap dog lol ! She fought out of jealousy. The shock was used when she showed her dominant body language which I was trying to eliminate probably the wrong thing to do as I'm no pro but it didn't help to deter her it was her own 1yr old female daughter
Hmm not sure what this situation is about???

Was "this" a female pup and the mom, in the same household??? Did it get resolved and no an E-Collar would not be an appropriate solution for "issues" in my opinion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmm not sure what this situation is about???

Was "this" a female pup and the mom, in the same household??? Did it get resolved and no an E-Collar would not be an appropriate solution for "issues" in my opinion.
Yes mom and female pup. mom was doing dominant things that I noticed the collar was used for the stay command which was on a low setting they lived in harmony until the family came around being in ca in the spring they lived outside then the mom bolted across the yard when her pup which was also trained to do simple commands got a small bit of recognition for obeying a command and it was on we found her a new home because it wasn't fair to let them fight over jelousy and either get hurt I guess this is all about american vs euro but females are way more challenging to other dogs than males as a puppy a friends dog tried to dominate her and it look like he did but in a split second he was the one who rolled over she is by far not dog on dog aggressive but when is challenged in dog language ...no fear game on . Broke our hearts to have to separate them but it was for the best lesson learned this time we kept a male no problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would say to prefer European Boxer rather than American Boxer. European Boxers tend to have a more robust appearance, larger bone structure, deeper chest, more slanted topline, and larger head, and a stouter shorter muzzle than the American Boxer. They typically weigh more at maturity and have a greater muscle mass than American Boxers. The European Boxer is also a calmer and more focused dog. Many agree for this reason the Euro Boxer is easier to train.
The American boxer has a less slanted topline. Many American Boxers have a lower mature weight and appear less muscular than European Boxers.
This is the reason why I am choosing European Boxer.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Here are some pictures of the Atibox competition from 2017. They look very stocky compared with the American lines. I do love the way they move which has a lot to do with conformation, and correct breeding. I would be cautious about using these Euro lines just to jack up the selling price. The US working-line breeders follow very strict health testing, and many have obtained their ZTP which is a breed suitability test.

https://www.facebook.com/atibox2017/

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I would say to prefer European Boxer rather than American Boxer. European Boxers tend to have a more robust appearance, larger bone structure, deeper chest, more slanted topline, and larger head, and a stouter shorter muzzle than the American Boxer. They typically weigh more at maturity and have a greater muscle mass than American Boxers. The European Boxer is also a calmer and more focused dog. Many agree for this reason the Euro Boxer is easier to train.
The American boxer has a less slanted topline. Many American Boxers have a lower mature weight and appear less muscular than European Boxers.
This is the reason why I am choosing European Boxer.
LOL ... I would not dispute any of the positive attributes you asig to the Euro's!

As even in American still to this day apparently??? The Euro Boxers are still doing the K9 thing! Seems to be a regional thing here however as all the K9 LE Boxers seem to be in the North East??

And I will admit that all by all rights' I should be a Euro Boxer guy?? Because I like big dawgs! But ... sigh this is "America!"

And after WWII, when the Boxers were reintroduced to American shores, the original dogs were thought to be fierce to be let loose on an unsuspecting public??? So they "changed them!"

Now personally ... I have no idea ... how "Goofy" got to be a "Breed Characteristic??" But whatever, they did it! And the fans of the "American line Boxers" are "legion!" Safe with kids ... nothing to think about, aside from toddlers wobble and they will fall down?? Speed and spinning thing, there but it can be dialed down. :)

Similar but different as it were. For a family friendly dog ... I'd chose an "American Boxer" all day long! A full Euro Boxer?? I don't know??? A Working line GSD in a Boxer suit ... is not what I'd be looking for in my next Boxer???

Now maybe that is not fair?? I don't know as I have never had a full Euro??? But my Struddell was 100% all American and she could chase Jackrabbits all day long in the high desert heat! I seriously doubt that a full Euro Boxer, could match that ... just saying.

Just saying, don't underestimate, the "Skinny Incepted" AL Boxers! Personally, I think the Al Boxers can do the same things the Euro's can do ... if one has the time. :)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
The Euro will be more stout in the front end and lacking in the rear.
Stout in the front ... I get. But lacking in the rear ... I don't understand???

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Layla has brawny body (big and wide, she must be near 90lbs) very short muzzle (less than 2 fingers long) a nice head but not big per se

Dont know what that makes her

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think you should have to prefer European Boxer rather than American Boxer. The European Boxer is also a calmer and more focused dog. Many American Boxers have a lower mature weight and appear less muscular than European Boxers.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I think you should have to prefer European Boxer rather than American Boxer.
Aww well ... good luck telling people which lines, they "have to prefer." The title is "Open" no parameters were defined here??? :)

It's a Boxer Forum not a GSD forum, but in GSD land the ASL GSD's are considered ,kinda sorta less than a WL GSD?? But near as I can tell the ASL GSD came about based on looks??? The American Line Boxer came about based on "Personality??"

American Line Boxers (as a separate line) did not "exist" until after WWll. When the original German Boxers were brought to American Shores ie "Dogs Of War." And those original dogs "were felt to be, "to fierce to be let loose on an unsuspecting American public???"

So they "apparently," changed the Boxer?? And I for one, feel "they" got it just right for "America" for "our" Boxers after WWll! No apologies needed. AL Boxers were "created " to be family pets. Great with family and safe around strangers. None of that "Aloof with strangers crap???"

Main requirement is "Family Pet" it's like street racing ... there are no rules! Run what you brung! Not IPO, not LE, not MWD, not PPD, it's wide open. Now if an owners "requirement" is one of those fields, than sure a full "Euro" is the way to go ... I'm fairly sure???

As far as I am concerned, a full Euro is ... "WL GSD," in a Boxer suit??? I have not had a full Euro Boxer but I did have a real deal Wl GSD! Worked out great in the long run but it was a pretty steep learning curve ... not a lot of fun! It's not an experience I'm eager to relive with a Boxer???

The European Boxer is also a calmer and more focused dog. Many American Boxers have a lower mature weight and appear less muscular than European Boxers.
Aww well I've not dealt with a full Euro ... so I'll take your word here. Cause you know "calm and focused" LOL ... are not words I'd use to describe my all American girl!

As for less "Muscular??" Uh "NO" less "bulky and smaller" sure, then there Euro counterparts.But not less "Muscular??" Pound for pound my girl came in at Malinois size. And she was "demonstrably" Jack rabbit fast! And ... I'll add ... all American, so you know longer, narrower muzzle then her Euro Counter Part. And I seriously doubt that a full Euro with there shorter, stubby face could have kept up with her on a Jack Rabbit chase, in the 90 degree heat, of the high desert of NV?? She could pretty much do that crap for hours! That's was a "weekly adventure" for her, no big deal. I seriously doubt ... her full Euro, counterpart could do the same???

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
As for less "Muscular??" Uh "NO" less "bulky and smaller" sure, then there Euro counterparts.But not less "Muscular??" Pound for pound my girl came in at Malinois size. And she was "demonstrably" Jack rabbit fast! And ... I'll add ... all American, so you know longer, narrower muzzle then her Euro Counter Part. And I seriously doubt that a full Euro with there shorter, stubby face could have kept up with her on a Jack Rabbit chase, in the 90 degree heat, of the high desert of NV?? She could pretty much do that crap for hours! That's was a "weekly adventure" for her, no big deal. I seriously doubt ... her full Euro, counterpart could do the same???
Now I would love to hear from members who might have had full Euros, but I think you might be onto something here.

My guy has a more Euro front end than most of the boxers we know. Pretty wide skull, short snout, thick neck and chest. He plays with a full AL boxer who is 4 years older and that dog leaves him in the dust in the summer. lol Winter my guy has the edge, but its not a contest in the summer

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Layla has brawny body (big and wide, she must be near 90lbs) very short muzzle (less than 2 fingers long) a nice head but not big per se

Don't know what that makes her
LOL well 90 lbs??? Makes her a big dog! :)

But that's not just me ... the dogs of choice for the US Military is no longer the WL GSD, and depending on who, you believe?? "Pet people" and breeders catering to them get the blame for that AKA American Shown Line GSD's breed to be large, cause you know "we like big dawgs!"

But while size is not the sole reason ... "Wl GSD's" have gotten to big??? Breed standard for a WL GSD is ...77 lbs or so. But 80 to 95, and 100 lb'ers are not uncommon. Finally the military got tired of it apparently and just flat switched to Malinionis. :
Defense.gov News Article: Breeding Program Turns Puppies Into Troops

And the weight standard is "75 lbs!" If the dog weighs more that that ... don't bother to apply! It was starting to get more and more difficult to find Wl GSD's in quanities, that could adhere to the Breed Standard of 77 lbs ... hmm and now it would seem the AKC list the standard at 90 lbs for males??? :

German Shepherd Dog Dog Breed Information

LOL 90 lbs, ... well when did that happen???

At any rate, when you start to increase weight beyond the 65 to 75 lbs range, every 5 lbs increment, takes a huge amount of energy to lift or carry over, up or down an obstacle. Most likely, it was just getting harder and harder to find Wl GSD that now met spec?? So screw it, Mal's it is and 75 lbs max, ... problem solved. So the US military would consider your girl aw ... freaking hugh! But ... there are no size requirements for "family pet's." :clap:

Back on pointe, as you describe your Layla ... if I saw her on the street, I would think ... "that has to be a full Euro Boxer???" On the other hand a member on here with documentation also has a full American Line Boxer that sounds very much like your Layla, ... she is a big girl also. So ...they are out there. :)

But all the American Boxers, I have seen, have been much like Struddell. Built more like swimmer's, than wrestlers to use not a lot of words. Oh well, the AKC Breed Standards ... don't really do the "lines" stuff?? It pretty much says "Boxers" and let's it go at that.

And really there is no right or wrong here. Large or Small, Goofy or Aloof ... there is a Boxer for everybody!! :clap:

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Now I would love to hear from members who might have had full Euros, but I think you might be onto something here.

My guy has a more Euro front end than most of the boxers we know. Pretty wide skull, short snout, thick neck and chest. He plays with a full AL boxer who is 4 years older and that dog leaves him in the dust in the summer. lol Winter my guy has the edge, but its not a contest in the summer
Hmmm, your guy sounds very much like my friends Euro/American Boxer?? Broad head and short muzzle, I expected to see, but his body type was a bit of a surprise?? Although a male ,so much larger than my Struddell he had the same deep chest and tiny waist that she had.

And he was a bit more reserved (well OK to be fair Struddell did not know what, aloof or reserved meant???) But after a few minutes he was just as goofy as expected. :)

But before we get to AL Boxers and what they can or cannot due in high heat conditions?? With summer coming up some words of caution! :
https://www.purinaproclub.com/resource-library/pro-club-updates/brachycephalic-research-shows-body-condition-is-key-to-thermoregulation/

There is no hard data that states that AL Boxers with smaller heads and longer narrow muzzles ... do better in heat than there Stubby faced Euro counter parts???

Prior to Matt's account I knew of two such Boxers. Not a lot of data points here. But one data point was on here a few years ago. A Hog Catching American Line Boxer in Louisiana. Now that did not go well because he posted clips of hogs being caught and dispatched. This is not really a Hunting crowd soooo ... And at the time even I missed the fact that summer time in Louisiana ... is uh kinda hot! And of course my High Desert Heat, Bunny Rabbit chasing Struddell! So all that said, thanks for the new data points!

A head to head (LOL, no pun intended!) comparison is pretty cool! And the AL Boxer spotted your guy four years also??? The heat thing was just something I finally took note of after a couple years.

And for the record ... no bunnies harmed! They could not outrun her on the straight. Or not in fashion they were used to?? Two Boxers lengths and closing, they (Jack Rabbits) would always bank hard right into the brush and always come immediately back onto the straight and speed away.

And Struddell .... would always match them at the high speed turn and she would always lose them in the brush??? Suddenly forgot about sight and switched to scent??? I'd watch the rabbit sail rapidly away in the distance while Struddell did high speed scenting in the brush??? It happened every time, she never caught on??? :crazyeye:

And a high speed search of area would eventually find the now cold trail (less than 4 minutes total time.) She'd come in for a drink and back on patrol. Two or three more chases and I'd call it quits. I could not really depend on her to show good sense. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve got a female who is 100% American boxer and a male who is 50% American and 50% European. He is much more stockier than she is, has a shorter muzzle, and has longer softer fur.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I’ve got a female who is 100% American boxer and a male who is 50% American and 50% European. He is much more stockier than she is, has a shorter muzzle, and has longer softer fur.
That sounds like a cool pair of Boxers! You got any pictures of the pair and how is the anxiety thing going these days???

·
Registered
14 Posts
That sounds like a cool pair of Boxers! You got any pictures of the pair and how is the anxiety thing going these days???
Snickers anxiety is doing better since we got another dog. Thank you for asking! A spare bedroom is now the “Dog Room” and she handles that better than crating.

Toby came to us on 1/6/18 weighing 5 lbs. He was 6oz at birth and was bottle fed only. He is now 6 months and 31lbs. Snickers is 1 1/2 years old and 40 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Snickers anxiety is doing better since we got another dog. Thank you for asking! A spare bedroom is now the “Dog Room” and she handles that better than crating.
Well that is not the recommend course of action??? But to be fair, I have heard of that working before. :)

Toby came to us on 1/6/18 weighing 5 lbs. He was 6oz at birth and was bottle fed only. He is now 6 months and 31lbs. Snickers is 1 1/2 years old and 40 lbs.
They are a handsome pair. :clap:

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
No substitute for 100% Euro …. Big Joe from Kellaney Kennels turned 4 a few months ago.. Absolute beast …

Hmm, the picture is not showing up for me???

But that aside ... sure he's a "beast!" If he is 100% Euro ... that would be "expected." :)

In uh "Europe" that is ... how Boxers are! We don't bash lines here??? But American Lines Boxers were "created" for uh ... "America." And by and large ... we tend to like we what got. :)

How it was done ... is still a mystery I have not solved?? But it is a thing,and how exactly it was done,?? Is still a "mystery" I have not been able to solve???

But the OP "asked" "American Line vs Euro" what's the difference??? And by and large "most" average Boxer (seekers) are not looking for a "Working Line GSD in a Boxer suit???

There are a "crap load of fails" in America's pretty much consistently top three most popular dog??? But in Boxer world ... not so much?? Most average owners are looking for a Boxer just like my all American girl??

Safe with kids, luv'd people and did not know what the word "Aloof with strangers meant???" With my Struddell when there was an unexpected knock on the door ??? My first thought was not always ..."where is the dog?? Followed by the Command "Place!"

It was more like sigh ... get out of the way dog ... "whoever it is, is not here to see you, with my Boxer." :)

I luv'd, my WL GSD but that experience is "not"what I'm looking for in a Boxer??? My girl was ... absolutely 100 percent the "Clown Princess" of the Dog world! For her ...everyday was a party and a stranger was just a friend she had not met??

I'm not dissing the "Euro's" as I have never actually met nor worked with a full Euro Boxer?? But I would "suspect" that the full Euro's are better suited to "Working homes??" These days ... most likely I could chose either and do just fine?? But my ... girl you know and for me ... she is my "Blue Print" for what I "expect" from a Boxer, absolutely 100% ... full on Goofy!

So I say ... that they got it right for "here," when they brought the Euro's over, (again) after WWII. The perfect Boxer for well "America!"

If one is however not "enamored" with "Goofy" and they still want a "Boxer" for serious work ... then a full "Euro" would be a better choice ... I would imagine???

And of course these days ... the Euro/Americans, seem to be quite popular. Those guys I have met and worked with a couple! I'm impressed and I'd say if even briefly they seem to have more of an understanding of what "aloof" at first appears to mean?? My girl had no idea of what aloof at first meant. :confused:

21 - 40 of 90 Posts