Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
It would seem I have an update on the Euro's! I had said I have never worked with a
full Euro before ... so I don't know about them?? But it turns out, I have, it was a few years ago ... "Deer Dog" in my SLL thread! :)

Yeah ... i thought he was a Euro/American at the time?? Mostly because he had the tucked in waist??? But I saw him again the other day ... and since then, it's been a couple of years?? And since then ...he has gained about 40 lbs???

He still has the tight waist, and deep chest but he is "Freaking Hugh!!" I was stunned, and the good news is, he is as friendly and goofy as I recalled ... but he knows us!

And now that he is fully grown, the Hugh wide head and short muzzle are clearly seen! I was stunned and as we played tug o monkey with his toy and he pulled me off the chair! I kept thinking man this is a big Boxer???

The mystery was solved when my friend said he met a couple with a male and female Boxer and they seemed ...kinda small??? And there heads were different?? Oh, Ok then ... you saw American Line Boxers and you guys have a Euro!!

Gideon, is somewhere in the 85 to 90 lb range! He is just freaking Hugh!! My friends really aren't "dog Trainers" per se , but they did a good job with him!!

I had to be careful playing with him indoors ... cause he was pretty easy to get ramped up!!! And I did not want to get him in trouble with his owners. :)

So ... maybe, my "assumption of the Euro's" temperament and excessive caution, were a bit over blown??? My friends did well, enough with there Euro Boxer.

But Giddon, while still a rescue had no serious behavioral issues to start with. Still you know my GSD did not have people issue when I got him?? I did with him what I'd always done with all my dogs and it did not work? (as regards people)?? As he matured he decided ... "I don't like Strangers!!"

I pondered how that happened for years?? And finally one of my friends on GSDForum told me ... uh it's not you, "Human Aggression" is part of a GSD's DNA! Expect that, knowing how to deal with it (the part I did get right) is another issue ... but don't be surprised, if you see it H/A! :)

Now I assumed that since the Euro Boxers do the LE K9 thing??? H/A as a given would be in them also??? But you know perhaps not???

Still and while Gideon, is a great example of a Euro .... if he were not ( a good example)??? He would be a pretty frighting experience for a newbie, they would be in over there head pretty quickly???

I'm still gonna go for another silly goofy, all American Girl! For the average owner an AL Boxer is a better choice (I would add get a boy.) :)

But the full Euro's, LOL as my friend on GermanShepardFrourm, posted when I showed him, Cliff Vom Grand Kevin, yeah now that's a Dawg! :)

The Euro's Boxers are serious freaking dogs but get it right and no big deal! But a "newbie had best choose there "Boxer Line wisely! We don't need more Boxer in shelters' .... "Nuff Said." :)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I think you should have to prefer European Boxer rather than American Boxer. The European Boxer is also a calmer and more focused dog. Many American Boxers have a lower mature weight and appear less muscular than European Boxers.
I think less "Mass" is a bit more "Accurate" than less "Muscular." :)

My Struddell, 100% all American Girl. Was 65 lbs of solid muscle! And you'd have to put her on a scale to know that! At her last weight in I'd have sworn she was 55 lbs and I' have been wrong! :)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
We think my boxer is a mix of Euro/American. In a separate thread I asked about my guy Zuke and a member who I think only breeds Euro's(Kaco Boxers) said he seems to be a mix. I do have is lineage but I haven't been able to find anything about Euro/American lines.
LOL well most likely your search will be much like mine in finding "another" AL Boxer doing the LE thing in the US??? Kinda like searching for "Unicorn's??"

I did find one, almost a decade ago, but she had just been retired?? So I abandoned that search, hey I found one so surly there must be more?? But apparently not, Euro's only (in LE) or judging by some of the Male's here, Euro/American???

Cuz a couple of those dog's strike me as more on the "slimier side??"

Boxers von Bachbett Working German Boxer Stud Dogs, Arames, Irco, Cliff, Grobi, Ivo, SAm, Sabiye, Adonis, Working Boxers, German Boxers, Schutzhund Boxers, Euro Boxers, European Boxers, K9 Boxers, Euroboxers, Fathers of Boxer Puppies, Working Boxer P

But the Euro/American's have to have "always" been around??? Since after WW ll at any rate when the first of the "Dog's of war." Arrived on our shores and those dog's (Boxer's) were thought to be to "fierce" to be let loose on an unsuspecting American Public!" So they "changed them" and the American Line Boxer's became "Smaller/Slimier and uh kinda Goofy??" And in there "second" introduction to America ... they became a hit! :)

So the Euro/American's, have always been here?? But most likely much more "regional" back in the day?? Let's go with early 2000's when I got Struddell, AL, in San Jose CA. Every Boxer I every saw was built just like her ... longer narrower muzzle and kinda small and lean.

But when we moved to NV, something changed??? Broad Heads and shorter fuller muzzles but ... much larger??? But still had the deep chest and tiny waist, thing going on. It was like being in the land of the giants as it were. :)

But the Euro/American's are not really a separate breed as such?? And as such, I don't know that there is a history to be tracked down?? Most likely "supply and demand kinda thing??" Still a "civil dog for the Average American and yet "also" a IPO capable dog for those that want/need those kinda drives.

And for a LE or Military role a "smaller/slimier" dog is "preferable!" A Wl GSD, for one is a "Long Dog??" Much more of a load for a "Handler to help" into a tight space?? A Euro American Boxer can pack just as much power into a tighter frame! Not that they are commonly found doing those jobs ... but they can. :)

But the Euro/American's are "still" a family friendly dog that is most unlikely to carve up the kid let's, like a Turkey! Mal or Wl GSD anyone. :)

So most likely the Euro/American's have been around since the beginning?? And most likely the rise of the internet and supply and demand these day's ... people tend to like "Big Dog's" and the Euro American's tend to be bigger?? So now people "know" theses dog's are out there. But I'm not a Breeder, just a fan of the Breed. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have had mostly American bred boxers I have two boxers now one is 1/2 Euro the other my male is 87% Euro he is way bigger than any of the other males I have had much. bigger in the head area and neck thicker bones too huge paws he is only 10 mos old now and I just had him weighed yesterday he is 72lbs now already so who knows how big when he matures out. My female is smaller only 60lbs and she is almost 2 both dogs have the best temperaments that I have ever had with any of my boxers they are both well grounded but still retain that playful silly boxer nature that I love so much my American dogs were much more serious on the protection aspect but still playful and silly I say the trainability is about the same for me. The dogs I have now are much more sociable I used the same kind of training on all of them with a lot of socialization so there is a difference I guess it depends on what you want. They have been a lot healthier so far.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My boy is pretty lanky too he is all legs and big feet and big head! He is the sweetest boy too he is on the hard headed side of things but we are getting there. I am always surprised at how many people are afraid of him because of his size but he would never harm anyone aside from knocking them down. Like I said he is 87%Euro he is a great dog and my female is 1/2 her Mom is American Dad mostly Euro. These dogs have the best temperaments of any of the previous boxer I have ever had.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I gotta get pictures of Gideon. Our friend's dog. And pretty much right to spec Al/Euro.
Big Broad Head, short muzzle but a tiny waist and deep chest. And he is huge and he does look imposing at first. But once you meet him ... yep he's a Boxer!

But upon initial meeting he is slightly "Aloof" and imposing!! And you will want to "Ask" if he is safe to pet??? Very much unlike my all American Girl, who did not like imposing nor did she know what "Aloof" meant???

I got more of the awe "She's cute and what is she??? With her and of course she met lot's of people! I don''t think I ever told anyone, "I'd rather you did not," to a may I pet, request" with her?? Saying "No" never even occurred to me??

And I most certainly admire and respect the full Euro's!! But I'm not eager to repeat my WL GSD experience, with a as "how I phrase it," a WL GSD in a Boxer suit?? Now most likely that is a "broad over statement??" But fact's are fact's?? And the only Boxer's in America (Mid West Only) doing the LE K9, thing in America are all "Euro's!" So you know "why is that??"

That is not a "Bad Thing," but it does mean the Euro's are different than there American counter parts?? Cuz you know if they were not?? Then you know ... why the change???

And these day's "now" that is a question that can no longer be answered?? Because the original dog guy's from WWII, that "Created the A/L Boxer's, are no longer around??? :(

And a tangent but the Mad "Pitt's" IE Human Aggressive?? That one I did find the answer! Cuz you know H/A in Pitt's should not be a thing ... but clearly it is?? Hence many say, they are the sweetest thing on earth (me included) and "other's that say, they are all "insane," controversy continues?? The answer is pretty simple ... but that's another topic. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think you should have to prefer European Boxer rather than American Boxer. The European Boxer is also a calmer and more focused dog. Many American Boxers have a lower mature weight and appear less muscular than European Boxers.

I have to slightly disagree on the calmer part. I had 4 boxers while I was stationed in England. We shipped out two Americans and we bought a boxer in England and bred to get a puppy to show. My Americans were way way calmer than my English ones. The slight disagreement comes from the mom of the puppy is WAY calmer than her son (speaking about the British boxers)

I do agree with your Focus statement as something catches their attention they do not loos train of thought until they make sure of whatever it is lol.

I know this thread is old just wanted to chime in. I love both versions of them. For the Americans I love the elegance, and the docked and cropped look. British I love the thickness/muscularity and the shorter snout. I say I dislike the tail for personal safety reasons lol (it hurts when you get whacked by one.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just speaking on my personal experience because I've had both. Our Americans have longer noses and sleeker bodies with a short, tight coat. Our Euro has a really short nose and thick soft coat. He has a very solid body too, bigger boned. He has his tail too and it's a little bushy at the end and it curls at the end. I think if you see an American with the tail, it's more whip like. All of the boxers we have owned have loved people with exception of Grimm because he's different with his neuro issues.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Good comparison of boxer types
https://www.worldwideboxer.com
That's a good site! But there is a lot there!

For the different "Type's," I think this page much it easier to see.
https://www.worldwideboxer.com/style2.html

And the right "Temperament's" aside, the AL Boxer's are just Flat Faster/Quicker! Boxer's are in fact "still," working line dog's. And while AL Boxer's "Job" these day's seem to be as "Family Pet," at which they excel ... they do tend to have oft unsung attributes!

A heavier, dog can hit harder! But you sacrifice, "Speed, for Power!" The heavier dog's are a step slower. And the for the US Military ... every 10 lbs over 65 lbs, was proving to be a burden for K* Handler's, when they had to lift the dog's into tight spaces??

And while for decades the Wl GSD, was the Working Dog of choice. They finally quit using them and switched to Malionis! Good, WL GSD's were getting to be just to big! Pet people most likely to blame as American's tend to like big dog's!

And the Military decide 75 lbs was the max! And idea compromise between speed and power! The Air Force 341 Squadron, breeds there own Mal's for all branches of the Military! The WL GSD for military are gone! Save for rare exception's?? And the Military decided that 75 lbs ... is the ideal weight between speed and power! Pretty much end of story there.

Now LE and Personnel Protection Dog's, well size does not matter. LE and JQP are not jumping out of chopper's with 90 + lbs of K9, strapped to them. So you know ... the bigger the better! :)

I live next ro a Police Sub Station, and they have K9 unit's. And they are all Wl GSD's. I have seen a lot of them and I don't go near any of them! For anyone born in the 50's and 60's that remember, seeing LE WL GSD's, visit way back then?? Yeah you can forget that crap! And just stay the heck away from them! Cuz you know some of them LE guy's ... aren't that good, "Just saying." :)

But back on point uh sorta?? In the real World, sigh my "Skinny, Long Nosed Al Boxer, Struddell, is now long gone. :(

But that longer nose, had an advantage?? At the time ... I never though much about it?? But at the time in "America," while I was here, there were exactly two AL Boxer's that laughed at "high temperatures!" And one was a "Hog Catch Dog," in Louisiana! In the freaking summer!

And the other ... was well my Struddell! Bunny chasing in 90 degree's in the high desert of NV! I never gave it thought?? I had to call it quit's, when I felt it was enough?? Cuz she would not quit!

I would challenge her stubbed nosed counter point's to match her on endurance and sheer speed at Bunny Chasing, in those conditions?? As I know who would quit first. Sigh ... sadly, I was not, A "Breeder??" So you know what ever Struddell, had is now lost??

She was just my dog and that is what she did ... and I thought it was no big deal, at the time ...

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I prefer the Euros myself, a nice solid male. To me the Americans look kinda like "pretty boys" which fine but when I think about a Boxer I imagine a solid dog with a big chest, strong lean back end and a good sized head.

Euros are definitely what you want if your thinking about working them in Shutzhund (IPO/IPG), PSA or French Ring. I'd say all boxers are pretty "goofy" and fun to be around, seemingly remaining puppy their whole life but the Euros are a bit calmer and easier to train.

My "soon to be" new pup will be coming home May 30th, this is his dad Bongo

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I would recommend either a king boxer (they are hard to train) or a boxer hybrid I have one and she is nice
A "king" Boxer ??

If that is the same as a "king" Doberman then there is really no such thing, it's just a name that got applied to dogs that were bred for size (oversize to be precise) instead of breeding to the standard.
This is something I would stay far away from as it's a horrible distortion of the breed and usually ends up with the dogs having short lives suffering from many health issues.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Agree 100%, you really don't want them too big, being too big will cause back and hip problems when older.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts