Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Neither my daughter or I can look at those boxer faces yet without breaking down in tears, so we feel we are just not ready, hence I will pass again.
I was wondering when someone (else) would mention "this??"

I have been there. I lost my first Boxer/Pit at one year old in an auto accident ... my fault. There was a lot of grief and trauma behind that ... Stewie did not look like a Boxer but he acted very much like one, complete with the kidney bean wiggle! He was a "fawn," dog and I discovered (after losing him) that upon seeing Boxer's, I could not look at Fawn Boxer without breaking into tear's.

So perhaps a different color, so maybe we'll try Brindle?? And we found a pup. Sigh, time and place "Parvo," was ragging in Ca at the time and we knew nothing about it. We found out the next morning at the Vet. We called the "breeder," the next day and they said yeah they figured ... it out "now! So bring her back for a refund. Now that would have been the smart, thing to do ... but even though it had only been 24 hour's ...it was to late Heidi, was our girl now and we'll take our chances.

So we fought and lost, she spent her day's at the Vet and her evening's, at home with me administering IV's. She was a game little trooper. If she had to barf she would look for newspaper, we kept it close and at only eight week's, she was already potty trained. And we found out a year later that if she had to go potty she always went to the far side of the yard.

But she was just to small and to weak and she passed away a week after we got her, while I held her in my arm's .... So now that was yet another Color Down!

So far my foray into "Boxer's, was not going to well?? Hedi, was suppose to help me get over the loss of Stewie?? But yeah, that did not work and a Flashy had to much Fawn Coloring for me. And then one day in a "Book," I saw "White Boxer's???

And Back then early 2003 they were hard to find, because (in part) they were being culled! If you notice, these day's lot's of Breeder's have a "White Boxer Friendly Symbol" ... that's is what the symbol is about. So I was on the hunt again after about year on from (Heidi) for yet another Boxer. And that is how I found Struddell, my first girl dog ever and uh "no where near as ... biddable," as the boy's, by a long shot! I got, a lot of the, ''Well why should I care what you want, when what "ever it is want to do ... is much more fun" from her. But once "we," made the first break thru ... she turned out to be a "Great Dog!" And I got back all the joy and goofy I had with my Stewie, and no longer had to worry about breaking into tear's!

And it did end up being about two year's since Stewie and one year since Hedi. And since I at least did (better) with my Struddell ;this time, I want another White Boxer (Sigh but most likely it will be a Boy...) But you know, Just a thought a White Boxer ...might work for you also. :)

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
If someone said that to me I would pass. To me that means she isn't breeding dogs with good nerve strength.
Well I know "nothing of her dog's." But in general, I would tend to disagree with the "lack of nerve strength," in regard's to other dog's, as an assessment of anything??

How do your dog's get along with other dog's?? Is not a question I would ever ask?? I've always trained my dog's to ignore other dog's and by doing that ... when they did "rarely," get to free play with other dog's ... they did fine (for the most part.)

My Band Dawg did have "issue's," with "pushy dog's!" On one occasion with literally miles of Open Desert. He and our friend's ... obnoxious pushy Queensland Heeler, decided to converge in the same spot?? And got into it ... WTH?? I had to grab them both by the, scruff and tell them to knock it off! Struddell and the other male herder dog got along great ... never had an issue with either of them on that day.

But the two that had the tussle were both Dominate Dog's. Neither one would start a fight but nether would back down from a fight either.

But if the breeder just "offered," that her dog's don't play with other's?? I would speculate that as a "Breeder," she most likely has just gotten tired of "tool's," taking her "Puppies," to "Dog Park's" and getting call's when her dog's carved up??

So it's just "simpler," to say ... my dog's don't play with other's ... then it is to go thru the whole "Why Dog Park's," are a Bad Idea,"Diatribe." But I don't know???

I mean a dog doesn't have to be friends with other dogs or meet dogs in the street, but they should also be neutral about it. Pretty much ignore another dog in the street.
Well ... yeah. :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well I know "nothing of her dog's." But in general, I would tend to disagree with the "lack of nerve strength," in regard's to other dog's, as an assessment of anything??

How do your dog's get along with other dog's?? Is not a question I would ever ask?? I've always trained my dog's to ignore other dog's and by doing that ... when they did "rarely," get to free play with other dog's ... they did fine (for the most part.)

My Band Dawg did have "issue's," with "pushy dog's!" On one occasion with literally miles of Open Desert. He and our friend's ... obnoxious pushy Queensland Heeler, decided to converge in the same spot?? And got into it ... WTH?? I had to grab them both by the, scruff and tell them to knock it off! Struddell and the other male herder dog got along great ... never had an issue with either of them on that day.

But the two that had the tussle were both Dominate Dog's. Neither one would start a fight but nether would back down from a fight either.

But if the breeder just "offered," that her dog's don't play with other's?? I would speculate that as a "Breeder," she most likely has just gotten tired of "tool's," taking her "Puppies," to "Dog Park's" and getting call's when her dog's carved up??

So it's just "simpler," to say ... my dog's don't play with other's ... then it is to go thru the whole "Why Dog Park's," are a Bad Idea,"Diatribe." But I don't know???

Well ... yeah. :)
I was basing it on this "While great in the home they are not good with dogs in the street." Granted that can be open to interpretation, but if someone told me that, I would be extremely concerned and have a ton of questions. That is not good nerves if a dog is reacting to any dog in the street. I see it all the time while me and Zuke do our bike ride and pass people with their dogs and the dogs dragging their owners all around and barking incessantly.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I was basing it on this "While great in the home they are not good with dogs in the street." Granted that can be open to interpretation, but if someone told me that, I would be extremely concerned and have a ton of questions. That is not good nerves if a dog is reacting to any dog in the street. I see it all the time while me and Zuke do our bike ride and pass people with their dogs and the dogs dragging their owners all around and barking incessantly.
LOL, well while that is a great example! It say's more about the "owner's," of those dog's then the Dog's??

A "hard cord," real freaking deal "ideal," American Band Dawg, would be a cross between a "Working Neapolitan Italian Mastiff," (Yes ... there is such a Beast) and an APBT! Now I have never had such a beast but ... out of the Box as it were, I would be willing to bet ... they "Don't much Care For Other Dog's??" It's just a given. That is a given ... you don't need to ask. :)

Molosser breed and as a "General Rule," it's just a given that they "tend to not much care for other Dog's!" And yeah they pretty, much suck at "IPO," crap! But as a PPD?? LOL ...yeah on a Midnight Walk ... no one is gonna screw with you! None of the "assorted," Band Dogge's are gonna be abandoning you, cuz there is another dog about???

But it's a "Boxer Board," so the real question would be do American Line Boxer, get along better ... out of the Box (no pun intended) then do the "Euro's" in a "Dog Park??"

I would speculate ... that yes, they do?? Maybe the "Anti Dog," thing is something that was "also," changed from the "Euro Boxer's??" But I don't know and I have "Zero, interest," in ever finding out myself??

I pretty much trust ... "no dog," I do not know! And other dog's, is not really something the "Euro Boxer," owners here ... ever mention?? They have said, "just as Goofy and Great with Family and People." But no mention of "how they are with other dog's??" No one seem's to care and I don't either ... if they are just as "Goofy and Good with Family and Friend's, as they seem to be?? It's good enough for me! Learning to ignore other dog's is up to the owner. :)

But I would speculate that as a "general rule??" The Euro Boxer's, are not that great with other dog's?? And perhaps, maybe that is something that had to be changed to create the American Line Boxer?? But I don't know and with the passage of time .. the Dog Men ... that did know 'the answer," are now long gone. :(

And as a general rule, anyway ... America Line or Euro ... Boxer's in a Dog Park ... tend to be obnoxious and as such ... they are target's! Young Boxer's get craved up all the time in Dog Park's! The last I saw. As a "Breeder," it would just be "easier," to say ... "my dog's don't get along well with other dog's!" And just let the "clueless," go somewhere else to get a pup???

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I think I worded it wrong when I said great in home but not with other dogs in street.
Maybe as Chip said " I would speculate that as a "general rule??" The Euro Boxer's, are not that great with other dog's?? is more in line of what I think she was saying."
I think her philosophy is European..(and she is) in that her dogs are 100% Euro and they do not believe in altering the physical aspect of the breed by removing tails, dew claws, or cropping of ears. When she says not friendly in street she is not saying her dogs have bad temperaments. She is saying her dogs are wonderful family dogs with excellent temperaments, however if you are looking for a dog that will want to great every dog it sees while you are out and about, her line of dogs are not that dog and you should get like a golden retriever. I really don't quite know how to explain it properly. I think she is a respectable breeder though her dogs are probably not the one I am seeking . I would though need to actually go there and meet her and the dogs which she freely offered me to do at anytime I would like.
I think there is more to her breeding program then I am aware of and I wouldn't hesitate from looking at her further, if I were younger and wanted to put a lot of training in.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
LOL, well while that is a great example! It say's more about the "owner's," of those dog's then the Dog's??

A "hard cord," real freaking deal "ideal," American Band Dawg, would be a cross between a "Working Neapolitan Italian Mastiff," (Yes ... there is such a Beast) and an APBT! Now I have never had such a beast but ... out of the Box as it were, I would be willing to bet ... they "Don't much Care For Other Dog's??" It's just a given. That is a given ... you don't need to ask. :)

Molosser breed and as a "General Rule," it's just a given that they "tend to not much care for other Dog's!" And yeah they pretty, much suck at "IPO," crap! But as a PPD?? LOL ...yeah on a Midnight Walk ... no one is gonna screw with you! None of the "assorted," Band Dogge's are gonna be abandoning you, cuz there is another dog about???

But it's a "Boxer Board," so the real question would be do American Line Boxer, get along better ... out of the Box (no pun intended) then do the "Euro's" in a "Dog Park??"

I would speculate ... that yes, they do?? Maybe the "Anti Dog," thing is something that was "also," changed from the "Euro Boxer's??" But I don't know and I have "Zero, interest," in ever finding out myself??

I pretty much trust ... "no dog," I do not know! And other dog's, is not really something the "Euro Boxer," owners here ... ever mention?? They have said, "just as Goofy and Great with Family and People." But no mention of "how they are with other dog's??" No one seem's to care and I don't either ... if they are just as "Goofy and Good with Family and Friend's, as they seem to be?? It's good enough for me! Learning to ignore other dog's is up to the owner. :)

But I would speculate that as a "general rule??" The Euro Boxer's, are not that great with other dog's?? And perhaps, maybe that is something that had to be changed to create the American Line Boxer?? But I don't know and with the passage of time .. the Dog Men ... that did know 'the answer," are now long gone. :(

And as a general rule, anyway ... America Line or Euro ... Boxer's in a Dog Park ... tend to be obnoxious and as such ... they are target's! Young Boxer's get craved up all the time in Dog Park's! The last I saw. As a "Breeder," it would just be "easier," to say ... "my dog's don't get along well with other dog's!" And just let the "clueless," go somewhere else to get a pup???
Well again, this is not my point. I'm not talking about dog parks, forced greeting of dogs, etc. I'm talking about dogs reacting outside at just the sight of other dogs. Sure some of that might be training, but I see a dog like that and i bet it has a whole host of other issues and weak nerves. I want a dog that is curious about anything new in its environment, ie, strong nerves. A dog that is reacting with barking, is fearful, etc is not a dog with good nerves.

Example. One of my neighbors has 2 gsd's. Both purchased as puppies and trained the same way, different ages. One of them is amazing, nothing phases her. The other one barks at anything, and has a laundry list of things it is afraid of. Its not training because they are both trained similarly and by someone who has owned gsd's for decades. Thats nerves.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I think I worded it wrong when I said great in home but not with other dogs in street.
Maybe as Chip said " I would speculate that as a "general rule??" The Euro Boxer's, are not that great with other dog's?? is more in line of what I think she was saying."
I think her philosophy is European..(and she is) in that her dogs are 100% Euro and they do not believe in altering the physical aspect of the breed by removing tails, dew claws, or cropping of ears. When she says not friendly in street she is not saying her dogs have bad temperaments. She is saying her dogs are wonderful family dogs with excellent temperaments, however if you are looking for a dog that will want to great every dog it sees while you are out and about, her line of dogs are not that dog and you should get like a golden retriever. I really don't quite know how to explain it properly. I think she is a respectable breeder though her dogs are probably not the one I am seeking . I would though need to actually go there and meet her and the dogs which she freely offered me to do at anytime I would like.
I think there is more to her breeding program then I am aware of and I wouldn't hesitate from looking at her further, if I were younger and wanted to put a lot of training in.
Oh you explained it just fine. My only "criticism," is that I thing her "pup's" are a bit "Pricey," and the "Health Warranty," seem's a little shortish ... for the price asked??

Other than that, it seem's she brought up a point ... that no one ask?? "How are your dog's with other dog's??" We have these (AL vs Euro) thread's on occasion and the question's I usually asked "were," how are they with people and are the Euro's Goofy also?? And the answer's tend to be, they are indeed, "Good With People and yes they are also kinda Goofy!" Good enough for me cuz as I tend to say ... "I don't want a WL GSD, in a "Boxer Suit." :)

But are they good with other dog's?? That is a question I have never bothered to ask?? Cuz, I train my dog's to be "Civil." Yeah, some took more work then other's but all understood how to "ignore other dog's." And my Band Dawg and my Struddell (avatar) in 5 year's at the time, had never interacted freely with an unknown dog. Cuz you know I trust "No One," and there dog's.

But "crap happen's," and on one occasion I had to rescue a three pack of dog's, heading toward's the Hwy! My dog's were in the living room on there bed's and I told them to "Stay!" And hurried outside hoping to snag at least snag one of the dog's?? I guess the little Maltese was the leader?? As I got her and the other's followed! :)

Long story shortish after I let them walk around a bit (the new) guy's, I released my dog's. The only slight issue was the Maltese did not like Gunther's size?? She would bark at him if he got near her. Gunther just looked down at her and walked away ... he, Struddell, the Jack Russell and Shibu Inu all went out back to play. The Maltese stayed indoor's by my side. We found there owner's and returned there "Pack," back to them. It was kinda sad to see them go ... but it was a great day.

Long way of saying, "The not good with other dog's, bit" to me, just sound's like the "Breeder," is done dealing with "tool's??" It's just easier to say that ... then it is than to deal with "Potential Dog Parker's," buying her pup's, I would imagine??

But back on point it does bring up, the question are the American Line (out the Box, no pun intended.) Better with unknown, Dog's?? I would suspect they are and perhaps, that is something that got "added," to the AL Boxer's?? Oh well, I'll not be the one to find out cuz my next "Boxer Puppy," is not gonna be going to a "Dog Park!" Cuz even if they do "Play Well With Other's," they are still gonna be Dog Annoying PIA's! :)

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Well again, this is not my point. I'm not talking about dog parks, forced greeting of dogs, etc. I'm talking about dogs reacting outside at just the sight of other dogs. Sure some of that might be training, but I see a dog like that and i bet it has a whole host of other issues and weak nerves. I want a dog that is curious about anything new in its environment, ie, strong nerves. A dog that is reacting with barking, is fearful, etc is not a dog with good nerves.
Aww, OK well yes I am speaking of "Puppy's," and not "Dog's." Of course I "agree," with your larger point, in regard's to dog's.

I personnel think the "Breeder," say's that to blow of people myself or you know ditch the truly inept?? But easy enough to check for a "Serious Buyer," if they are local. Just ask to see one of her customer's dog's and go for a Walk with them and there dog! Course that is probably, not so simple these day's???

Example. One of my neighbors has 2 gsd's. Both purchased as puppies and trained the same way, different ages. One of them is amazing, nothing phases her. The other one barks at anything, and has a laundry list of things it is afraid of. Its not training because they are both trained similarly and by someone who has owned gsd's for decades. That's nerves.
LOL, well of course GSD's are always on stand by, to make a point! :)

"Always," in the top 5 of most popular Dog's in America, for some reason?? There are many member's of JQP, that should not, have one! I'd not recommend one to anyone I know! Nonetheless they are/can be "The Best of The Best or The Worst of the Worst???"

I accept your observation as to the "Dog's," Behavior's. But "experienced owner or not. He broke a "Leerburgh Rule!"
Leerburg | Raising Two Pups at a Time: Why It's a Bad Idea.

Now I have no idea if the two at once is the "actual," reason the two dog's are different?? But it was most certainly not a good start. He also penned ... "Why Dog Park's are not a good idea." I can only "assume," he was seeing "issue's," crop up there also??? Sigh ... as well as "Who Pet's my Puppy or Dog??" Some of his "Philosophies," are pretty hard core! Boxer's are much more forgiving of "Mistake's in Structure," How the dog live's with you day in Day out by comparison.

But as I said ... "I don't know if the two at once, account's, for the difference in behavior?? But ... raising two at once was not the best of idea's???

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Aww, OK well yes I am speaking of "Puppy's," and not "Dog's." Of course I "agree," with your larger point, in regard's to dog's.

I personnel think the "Breeder," say's that to blow of people myself or you know ditch the truly inept?? But easy enough to check for a "Serious Buyer," if they are local. Just ask to see one of her customer's dog's and go for a Walk with them and there dog! Course that is probably, not so simple these day's???

LOL, well of course GSD's are always on stand by, to make a point! :)

"Always," in the top 5 of most popular Dog's in America, for some reason?? There are many member's of JQP, that should not, have one! I'd not recommend one to anyone I know! Nonetheless they are/can be "The Best of The Best or The Worst of the Worst???"

I accept your observation as to the "Dog's," Behavior's. But "experienced owner or not. He broke a "Leerburgh Rule!"
Leerburg | Raising Two Pups at a Time: Why It's a Bad Idea.

Now I have no idea if the two at once is the "actual," reason the two dog's are different?? But it was most certainly not a good start. He also penned ... "Why Dog Park's are not a good idea." I can only "assume," he was seeing "issue's," crop up there also??? Sigh ... as well as "Who Pet's my Puppy or Dog??" Some of his "Philosophies," are pretty hard core! Boxer's are much more forgiving of "Mistake's in Structure," How the dog live's with you day in Day out by comparison.

But as I said ... "I don't know if the two at once, account's, for the difference in behavior?? But ... raising two at once was not the best of idea's???
Its definitely possible breeders warn off some people from buying their dogs. lol. Probably not a bad idea in a lot of cases.

The 2 gsd's are 4 years apart, different sexes, same breeder.

As far as nerves, honestly it wasn't something I thought about much of until talking to people who work their dogs and researching a lot. I would say it would be my 2nd most important thing going forward for a pup, except for health.

I would love to have another dog with Zukes nerves, nothing phases him, and he is curious about anything new. Some of that is training, I will take a little credit, but I would say most is genetic.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Its definitely possible breeders warn off some people from buying their dogs. lol. Probably not a bad idea in a lot of cases.

The 2 gsd's are 4 years apart, different sexes, same breeder.

As far as nerves, honestly it wasn't something I thought about much of until talking to people who work their dogs and researching a lot. I would say it would be my 2nd most important thing going forward for a pup, except for health. [QUOTE/]

I would love to have another dog with Zukes, nerves, nothing phases him, and he is curious about anything new. Some of that is training, I will take a little credit, but I would say most is genetic. And yes it sound's like you did Good with Zuke! [

And it sound's like the GSD guy, got what I most fear with another GSD?? This dog is not like my other dog?? And he just checked out, on the dog?? I have no idea of course. But "I," am much more confident that I could fine another Great Boxer, then I am another Great WL GSD!
Aww, 4 year's ago ... that is a significant "detail!" But from the same "Breeder??" You have to wonder what changed??

Nerve strength and the right Drive's are typically "Working Dog," and "Germanshepard," dog forums," topic's of discussion, all the time in those group's. :)

And yes, "Solid Nerves," in a Dog is important! A dog with solid nerves is able to bounce back from adversity or you know ... "A lack of proper management, and Structure in the beginning ... my bad.

But yeah without "Good Nerves," proper training can only get you so far?? For a Dog to be, "Well, All He Can Be??" He has to have Solid Nerves, a dog like that will "Know," when it's time to stay back and follow direction's or step up if the situation call's for it?? Cuz sometimes ... "Crap Happen's??"

But back on point Boxer's, I'm not to worried about "Nerve Strength," with either line?? Most likely "changed drive's," is responsible for the lack of AL Boxer's in as a "Hard Core," Working Dog?? Ore you know as one critic on GermanshepardForum, once said ... of the AL Boxer's ... they are just to Skinny and insipid to be dealt with ... I prefer the term's Athletic and Goofy myself. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes my boxers are heavy on the Euro lines have a longer coat and do not seem to get cold very much we are out early mornings in winter and the only time I saw them cold was when it was below 20 degrees and the wind was blowing but that is it. I used to have to coat my American dogs.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts