Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we are about done weening Jax off of Royal Canin, to Chicken Soup "ADULT" dog formula. I read that protein is what to watch, and there was no need to go with the puppy formula? hope that's right, lol. Anyways, he is doing real good, and his poo is actually just a wee bit firmer. Question is, I am not sure if we are feeding him enough. The breeder "I guess" tended to feed them all together, and said the pups eat "about" a cup a day. Since we only have had him for less than a week, it is hard to say if we are under feeding him. We have been giving him 1/2 cup in the morning, 1/4 cup at around 1:30pm, and 1/4 cup at 6pm. He seems to always want more in the afternoon and evenings. I read a few posts, and it looks like we may be under feeding him. Others are feeding 1 1/2 - 2 cups per day.

Anything I should look for, if I up the amount a little? Besides him getting chubby. We were planning to only leave the bowl down for about 10-15 min, then take it, but he always goes strait for it, and empties it before walking away.

Lastly, do you recommend us feed him 3 times a day? Or would 2 be enough? Maybe once at 8am, and once at 5pm? He seems to only poo after a meal, so would that mean only 2 poos instead of 3?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've been feeding Flick about 3 1/2 cups a day. 1 cup per meal...I would definitely keep Jax on 3 meals right now..I know there are times when Flick isn't as hungry at one meal. but makes up for it later, but at that age they burn off soo much calories and energy, they need to refuel more frequently...Then like Heather said, about 9 mos, cut back to 2 meals

·
Registered
35 Posts
I want to jump on this bandwagon...my breeder advised that I only feed 1/3 cup 3 times (1 cup total) each day.  We also add some distilled water to the food bowl and let it sit a few minutes before giving it to him to prevent bloat.  

Brewer finishes each meal in no more than 3 minutes (usually less), and heads back to the food bowl to check on it several times between meals.  I have had experience with dogs in the past who were overweight because they simply ate uncontrollably, and their owners just constantly kept the bowl full.  I know better than to do that, but I don't want to error doing the opposite.  

1 cup per day versus 4 cups per day seems like a HUGE gap...right?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My adults got more than one cup per day when feeding kibble.  GRowing pups IMI need about 3 cups at the least.  They are growing and need the energy.  At about 9 months I went to two meals a day, and normally was about 1-1.5 cups twice a day.   I also judged my feeding on the way they looks after the 9 month period.  If they were looking thin  - up the amount a bit - if they were looking full, decrease.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Yes.  When Henry was a pup, we did 1 cup, three times a day.  Around 8 months or so, we split the feedings to just twice a day.  When he was doing major growing, he deffinately ate more, like 2 cups, twice a day.  Now at 21 months, he does 1.5 cups twice a day. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's pretty crazy considering the differences in what we feed our pups that were all probably about the same size!!! I upped his amount to 3/4 cup for his breakfast this morning...gone in 5 minutes!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I fed Oggie 3 to 4 cups a day.  IMHO 1 cup a day is far too little for a growing pup.  The recommendations on the back of kibble bags are never enough for boxers.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to update for this topic. We have upped the amount of food. My wife has been afraid to go the full 3 cups though. (I do think the loose stool issue was a major part of it, but now that, that may be over, we may be able to go more) We have been doing 1 cup in morning, 1/2-3/4 for lunch, and 3/4 for dinner. He seemed too hungry when we were on 1 cup per day. He still seems hungry, but just normal looking for food "hungry". Two people, not totally familiar with boxers, but have seen other pups, said Jax was thick and stocky for a pup. His mom was stocky though. I can easily see his ribs when he is standing normal. No spine though. And his coat is nice and soft, and he feels like he has a good layer of "fat/skin" when I massage his sides. I will have to post a pic of him. He also gets milk bone biscuits and Zuke's Naturals for treats, and rewards for going potty. (I looked at the ingredients, and they seemed decent, and no corn)

He never leaves one kibble left in his bowl.

I will say this though, when we first got him, he actually did NOT do too much. He played a little, but slept ALOT. 2 weeks later, he has much more energy, and even does little puppy boxer burns in the yard. It is so funny, he just goes full speed, running around, going no where. I think he now is at the age where he needs those 3-4 cups a day. At 7 weeks, he just did not use that much energy that he does now at 9. He went from 13 lbs, to 20 lbs. He has a vet visit for vaccines next week, so I will ask about his weight then.

·
Registered
80 Posts
He is adorable and your photography skills are awesome (as is your camera :) )

I am going to up Lucy's food. The vet today said she looks a little thin still and that I should be feeding her more. I have been going by what's on the bag based on her age and weight (1 3/4 cup per day) but I guess it's not enough. She's been skinny since I got her, though. She's not a stocky pup. She is 10 weeks and only 11 lbs 7 oz.

We do feed her three times a day and she also gets some training treats when I work with her.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
He is too adorable and glad he is doing well.  One the fatness of puppies, Kash was a porker pup.  They will in the next couple month thin you and go thru a lanky stage.   Pups change so much as they grow, but that sounds like a you got you wife feeding more which is good.   They will process it quicky esp when they are growing.  Id maybe go up to a cup in the evening just due to the fact he will have to sleep overnight and dont want hunger pukes.     Kash was 24lbs at 14 weeks!!  ha ha ha .   Then he went thru a big stage of tall lanky Kate Moss stage.  

Also if he was sleeping a lot  could be just a growth spurt.   I am sure he will be a bouncy puppy soon.  Pups do sleep alot.  Hanna slept tons, Kash not so much.   He is looking greats and glad to hear the runs are almost over.   I think its (runs) is a test to the new owner.   I think all puppies have them at least once when you first bring them home!!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Oh he looks just faboo!  Those pics are great! :D
I'm with Heather on this one.  Up it to a whole cup in the evening too.  Henry used to wake up puking because he had been so long w/out food over night.
We eventually "fixed" that problem by giving him a teaspoon of yogurt before bed. :wink:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DiamondLucy\";p=\"133515 said:
He is adorable and your photography skills are awesome (as is your camera :) )

DiamondLucy, I am going to up Lucy's food. The vet today said she looks a little thin still and that I should be feeding her more. I have been going by what's on the bag based on her age and weight (1 3/4 cup per day) but I guess it's not enough. She's been skinny since I got her, though. She's not a stocky pup. She is 10 weeks and only 11 lbs 7 oz.

We do feed her three times a day and she also gets some training treats when I work with her.
I may get over ruled here, but I am more concerned about under feeding than over feeding right now, since these are pups. If they burn so much energy, if we overfeed a little, and they get a little chunky, I would think it would be easy to adjust and get them to lose it. It would be harder for an adult dog to do that. My wife was worried about the treats too, but I use such little pieces, I doubt they add up to much, and his tail/but wagging alone, burns that much energy, when he is wating for the treat! haha.

Thanks all for the pic compliments. I actually hit the mother load the other day. I got a pic that we plan to print on canvas for our house, 18x24. I will try to post it tonight or tomorrow, in a new thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A lot of it can be the type of food you are feeding your pup. Our breeder was using a Human grade food called Canidae .This food don't contain any fillers. Dog foods that contain fillers keep your pups hungry and requires a lot  more per serving. Also keep in mind that the feeding charts on the back of bags are a little much. Our pup Jada is 11 weeks and weigh 13lbs we feed her 3 times a day 7am -1pm-7pm . 3/4 cup per feeding and she is as healthy as can be. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
i feed max 3 times a day, on vet's recomendation... he is 7 weeks old and i find that it is enough for him i feed him  every 5 hours, his last meal for the day is at 6  and he goes thru the night with no problem.when i give him his food i make sure he has  full bowl in front of him and i let him eat as much as he wants and once he is done i move bowl away till his next feeding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not new to boxers but I am new to taking good care of their health. You see, I grew up around Boxers that never saw a vet, or only saw the vet a few days before dying. Dogie health care was not as popular as it is today, and dogs stayed outside and leashed to a tree. All we relied on was good nutrition -dry kibble was not as good either-, so dad would go to the butcher shop and get scraps (proto-BARF?) which he would mix with kibble because that was the only way to get the dogs to eat that stuff -the kibble, which smelled horrible!-. I think we fed our dogs "Kal Kan" back then -was it Kal Kan?, did that even exists or am I remembering it wrong?-. That was before they figured how to mask the foul odor of all the meat and vegetable waste products that are used for kibble and canned food. Yes, even on the good dog food.

My father has been presenting me with a boxer since age 3. He swears by this and so far it has created strong and healthy boxers.
This is going to sound nuts! "Feed them the same amount you guesstimate they will eat when they are adults; taking into consideration their parents build."
For my last pup "Geronimo" it was about 4 1/2 cups a day -divided in three feedings-. His parents where over 60 lbs and very active.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts