Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious is anyone else is or has had an issue with this problem.

Gypsy keeps having an issue with releasing her anal sac in the house. The smell is absolutely rancid and wherever she is it need to be completely washed several times to get the smell out. Ive had to by a new duvet cuz it couldn't be washed.
I know alot of it has to do with diet and we have her on low protein Nutro because she is not as active as other boxers and was gaining a lot of weight. Her weight has come down and she is roughly 85lbs now but her stool is not as hard as it was on royal canin.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
634 Posts
We have not experienced this that I'm aware of, but I suspect that one of our boys needs to have his expressed. I'm not sure that's what I smelled, but it was sour and rancid and seemed to be around his rear-end. I washed him and it went away, but I'm waiting for it to return. I was going to ask the vet at their next visit. He wasn't scooting or anything...

I'll be curious to see what others can share about Gypsy and if they have similar issues with their boxers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought that larger dogs did not need their anal glands expressed as much as little dogs did, or not at all. Chance has emptied his in the house as well. So now I just express them for him myself every 6 to 8 weeks or so. Have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Dogs should empty their all sacks when they poo, most do it naturally but if the stool is soft and not hard many times they do not completely empty. I would try adding some pumpkin to her diet maybe a teaspoon-tabelsppoon per meal to see if that helps. Do use real pumpkin not puree and start slowly to be sure it agrees. Some dogs can have an issue and may need intervention from the vet. I would have him check her out, express them to be sure they are completely emptied and go from their. Royal Canin does have a weight formula.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your dog repeatedly has impactions (anal sac disease), your vet may suggest adding more fiber to her diet. This increases the size of her poop, which puts more pressure on the sacs to empty naturally. You may have to do this regularly, and to save a trip, your vet can show you how.

If your dog doesn't have a problem, there is no need for you to empty his sacs. And you could prevent the anal sac disease by a healthy diet and exercise. Put your dog on a healthy diet and make sure he gets plenty of exercise. Small, obese dogs are at the highest risk of anal sac disease. Also, if you dog has problems with his anal sacs, have your vet check them at every checkup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts