Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brady, our new cocker resuce is adament that Abby, our boxer rescue, should pass over all her toys. He takes anything she has and goes off to play with it. For the first few days we returned it to her and gave him something else to focus on then after discussing this with all of you, we just started ignoring it.  

Well, Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday morning, Abby decided to stand up for herself but was nasty about it...really just went after him. She ended up with a drop of blood on her knee and he had a drop on his forehead after the first skirmish. While I understand she is trying to stand up for herself, there will be none of this behavior in my house. I have a niece and nephew who visit, with another on the way and sometime along there will be our own children to worry about...I don't want her to get into this bad habit and end up having children get in the mix.

I gave her time outs each time...she's extremely sensitive to time outs and comes out and gives me hugs and sits by me rather than playing again...I don't want her to not get to keep the toys she is playing with, but I also don't want her to get this snarky when she stands up for herself. Not sure how to handle it. For the time being, all toys have been removed...we give them one big toy to work on together when we are supervising but that's it. Other than this, they get along perfectly..cuddling, kissing each other, etc. But I can't allow her to do this...Any thoughts? Continue with the time outs each time? ( I feel bad time outing her when she is just trying to keep her toy!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think this is just going to take a lot of time.  I think you should give Bracy his own toys, and Abby hers, until THEy decide they want to share.  Do they have crates?  That is where their toys can stay, and they can take them out as they like...do everything you can to signify that they each have their own things.  I'm sure before long, they'll get the hang of it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts