Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I've searched for and read all the posts about bored boxers and am glad that my dog isn't quite as unique as I thought, but it's still a very frustrating issue that I'm at my wit's end trying to solve. Lacey is 14 months old and still has the same high energy she had at 3 months old. Actually more, at least when she was young she napped once during the day. I am retired and work part time from home so I am with her all day and all night. I walk her twice a day, we have a fenced in yard with a petdoor leading to it so she's in and out all day as she wishes, and we have two other dogs for her to play with. But Lacey STILL just sits and stares at me, and whines, and barks, and cries until I get up and do something with her.

I'm wondering if part of the problem is that I have tried TOO hard to keep her amused. Is she spoiled and has no idea how to amuse herself for a while? My other two are older (not boxers) and they are great with two walks a day and some yard time and the rest of the time they're happy to nap. But not this one! She goes from one room to another picking up things she shouldn't be having, destroys everything within her reach (and she can reach a LOT, counter-surfing has picked up again) and once I've made sure all doors are closed and the only things she can get to are her own toys, she sits at my feet, stares at me, and cries. I think I taught the "Watch Me" command TOO well!

She has every toy you could imagine, she has the ones that are puzzles, we play fetch (but all she wants to do is play tug of war, which gets very old because she's so darned strong) and I got her an automatic ball launcher but she will not put the ball in herself. I think I've spoiled her.

Do I just start ignoring her? Will she eventually learn to amuse herself (with something other than destruction)? I was hoping when she turned a year old it would slow down but apparently not. Any comments or ideas would be great.
Sue

·
Registered
52 Posts
From some of your descriptions ("cries until I get up and do something with her", "stares at me and cries", "she will not put the ball in herself") it sounds like she is training you LOL Boxers are perpetual puppies, much longer than other breeds, and their abundance of energy needs guidance.

During the pandemic and its denouement, I've noticed lots of folks are dealing with behavioral issues that stem from constantly being home and with their dogs. Boxers, who especially love to be with people, need to learn how to be comfortable being alone and away from their people. Crate training can be a huge help with this issue - have you used a crate with her? If not, it may be difficult to introduce at her age.

Bottom line, it sounds like she needs clear rules and boundaries. She needs to know you are the boss, not her. A set schedule of walks, exercise, feedings, rest, and alone time seems essential. And if she is destroying things, that is a sign that she has too much freedom.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From some of your descriptions ("cries until I get up and do something with her", "stares at me and cries", "she will not put the ball in herself") it sounds like she is training you LOL Boxers are perpetual puppies, much longer than other breeds, and their abundance of energy needs guidance.

During the pandemic and its denouement, I've noticed lots of folks are dealing with behavioral issues that stem from constantly being home and with their dogs. Boxers, who especially love to be with people, need to learn how to be comfortable being alone and away from their people. Crate training can be a huge help with this issue - have you used a crate with her? If not, it may be difficult to introduce at her age.

Bottom line, it sounds like she needs clear rules and boundaries. She needs to know you are the boss, not her. A set schedule of walks, exercise, feedings, rest, and alone time seems essential. And if she is destroying things, that is a sign that she has too much freedom.
Thanks for the reply. She most definitely has me trained. Don't get me wrong, I did a lot of training with her for the first year (and still continue to do daily refreshers) but she turned out to be a better trainer than me. Those friggin' eyes get me every time!

Hell yes, I am a big fan and advocate of crate training, I preach it to everyone I know who has a dog and every family who adopts one from the shelter I volunteer at. And I have a huge array of different types and sizes of crates since I do a lot of rescue and fostering. This pup could NOT be crate-trained! She would hurt herself trying to break out. The plastic type she chewed her way out, and the metal type she bent the bars and squeezed herself through, cutting herself on the way out. Confining her to a room cost me a wall and a door. She is extra special. I've had over 50 dogs in my lifetime (some foster, some foster fails) but this one has me tearing my hair out.

I'm looking into doggie daycare now which has been great for some of my dogs in the past, but it's gotten so darned costly and since I'm retired it seems silly to spend the money when I'm home all day. Still, it might be good to give her and me a break, even two days a week.
Sue

·
Registered
52 Posts
She definitely sounds like a handful! We had one boxer in the early 2000's who couldn't be crate trained and it was a huge challenge so I can relate. (Being 20 years younger sure helped LOL)

It sounds like you have lots of experience to draw upon, which is great! When we got our girl Lena, the breeder told us that she was going to need a firm alpha energy from us. She was right, of course, and it's paying off. It sounds like your girl needs the same thing.

Daycare sounds like a good idea to give you a break, but based on your descriptions it sounds like there is still an issue that more exercise and stimulation won't fix. If she is doing things like counter surfing and being destructive then she needs clearer boundaries.

If your girl can't be confined it sounds like unfortunately that will require more hands-on training. Strong commands like "place", "stay", and "wait" would be priorities for me. I would want to teach her to basically calm down when I tell her to. I would also try rotating out toys so she only has a few at any one time to reduce overstimulation, plus it keeps them fresh when they come back into rotation.

We were giving my currently 17 month old boxer Lena more freedom from her crate a few months ago, but after she started suddenly ripping the bottom dust-cover fabric off of our dining chairs we took a few steps back. She's in her crate more now and we're all happier including Lena. No more destructive issues for 2 months now. She had too much freedom too early and couldn't handle it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She definitely sounds like a handful! We had one boxer in the early 2000's who couldn't be crate trained and it was a huge challenge so I can relate. (Being 20 years younger sure helped LOL)

It sounds like you have lots of experience to draw upon, which is great! When we got our girl Lena, the breeder told us that she was going to need a firm alpha energy from us. She was right, of course, and it's paying off. It sounds like your girl needs the same thing.

Daycare sounds like a good idea to give you a break, but based on your descriptions it sounds like there is still an issue that more exercise and stimulation won't fix. If she is doing things like counter surfing and being destructive then she needs clearer boundaries.

If your girl can't be confined it sounds like unfortunately that will require more hands-on training. Strong commands like "place", "stay", and "wait" would be priorities for me. I would want to teach her to basically calm down when I tell her to. I would also try rotating out toys so she only has a few at any one time to reduce overstimulation, plus it keeps them fresh when they come back into rotation.

We were giving my currently 17 month old boxer Lena more freedom from her crate a few months ago, but after she started suddenly ripping the bottom dust-cover fabric off of our dining chairs we took a few steps back. She's in her crate more now and we're all happier including Lena. No more destructive issues for 2 months now. She had too much freedom too early and couldn't handle it.
Sounds like Lena is a lucky girl to have you..... I'm sure she's going to be a wonderful pet for many years to come. I keep telling everyone that Lacey is the worst dog I've ever had, and will end up being one of the best dogs I've ever had. It's just going to take a lot of time, work and patience to get from point A to point B!

I have the shock mats on the floor near some houseplants that I don't want her to destroy, I have a motion alert on the kitchen counter that goes off when she puts her front paws on the counter, and nothing seems to phase her. I can give her a firm reprimand and shower her with tons of positive reinforcement when she's doing something good, but she just goes right back to tearing up the chair or couch or dog bed minutes later. Never seen anything like it.
Sue

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Boxers do take a little longer to mature out the target age is actually 3 years old, usually by 2 they are settling down. I have had 6 Boxers now in my life with that energy to burn and I have never ever had one destroy anything and I mean nothing! My dogs don’t counter surf either but I also never feed them from my plate the only food they get is in thier bowls besides a small milk bone that’s it! I think the daycare idea is a good one if you carefully screen them they don’t allow aggressive or in tact dogs to attend. She sounds like the destruction and whining are energy with no where to go. I walk my dogs 2 miles everyday the younger one of my dogs usually runs for two miles I am well past my running anywhere stage in life so I walk. I keep them on the same schedule everyday dogs love routine so I get up early feed them 3 hrs before activity then we walk when they come home they will sleep a good 3 to 4 hrs they go outside with me for yard work sometimes we even to a second walk of a mile. The secret is to keep them engaged talk to them I do mine! Don’t expect what is essentially a puppy to be sedentary just not going to happen! I benefit from all the walking too I have arthritis in both my knees pretty bad but for me like them it’s better to keep moving!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boxers do take a little longer to mature out the target age is actually 3 years old, usually by 2 they are settling down. I have had 6 Boxers now in my life with that energy to burn and I have never ever had one destroy anything and I mean nothing! My dogs don’t counter surf either but I also never feed them from my plate the only food they get is in thier bowls besides a small milk bone that’s it! I think the daycare idea is a good one if you carefully screen them they don’t allow aggressive or in tact dogs to attend. She sounds like the destruction and whining are energy with no where to go. I walk my dogs 2 miles everyday the younger one of my dogs usually runs for two miles I am well past my running anywhere stage in life so I walk. I keep them on the same schedule everyday dogs love routine so I get up early feed them 3 hrs before activity then we walk when they come home they will sleep a good 3 to 4 hrs they go outside with me for yard work sometimes we even to a second walk of a mile. The secret is to keep them engaged talk to them I do mine! Don’t expect what is essentially a puppy to be sedentary just not going to happen! I benefit from all the walking too I have arthritis in both my knees pretty bad but for me like them it’s better to keep moving!
Thanks for your reply. The doggie daycare that I will be taking her to for a meet and greet doesn't allow dogs under 6 months, no un-neutered dogs, and all vet records (including clean fecals every 6 months) are required. I have used them before for a few of my other dogs and they were always very good. I just need them to keep an eye on her because she is so passive at the dog parks we go to..... as soon as another dog comes near her, she hits the ground and rolls over on her back. However, when we are out walking, God forbid I run across another person walking their dog..... she is very leash aggressive and I barely have the strength to contain her so I do my walking with her either late at night (when no one else is out) or I have to drive her to a secluded area where I hope we don't see anyone else. But even then a squirrel or rabbit will cause me to practically lose my shoulder socket. I've tried keeping her distracted during those times, keeping her eyes on me, walking with constant treats, but it's a work in progress.

3 years, eh? Well she's certainly going to keep this old broad in shape because some of our walks have turned into runs which can only benefit both of us, as long as I don't fall and crumble my old bones!
Sue

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Aww well, I luv the girl's! But if I were asked and I felt an owner was a good fit for a Boxer? I would recommend get a male! In a nutshell, the Males want to do what makes you happy. The females want to do what makes them happy!

Rare among dog's in the Boxer ... the Female is the more Domaniate of the two. And that is why no one that knows what they are doing, would have two female Boxers in the same household! People (that don't know, keep trying (two females) and it seldom work's out?) Now that is not your problem ... but despite the silly and the goofy and the I luv people that you see? The Boxer is a serious dog!

The Doggy Day Care? Well most likely they will take her? And that will depend on their intake process? So most likely unless they are really, really good? They will say sure "Ok we will take her." But the question is ... "How long will they keep her?" She's a "Boxer," and she will be (I would say) a high maintenance PIA, for them to manage!

That is not what "Doggy Cares," are looking for? They don't want "trouble maker's?" They don't want dog's that like to, circle other dog's at high speed, jump on other dog's backs and punch other dog's in the face! Your dog will be a "High Maintenance PIA," for them so don't be surprised if they ask you to "Take Your Dog and Uh Don't Come Back!" And if there is a "GSD," in there also? They will be right in line behind you, being asked to take their dog and go away ... "Thank You For Your Business."

The "Crate," thing? I get it and I will recommend one (Depending On Circumstances?) But I have raised six dog's and I have never used a "Crate." And none of my dog's ever "Destroyed Stuff in the house." But I understand Crates, and a Crate is just another tool. And it should be used appropriately. And just stuffing a dog in a "Crate," to get them out of your face ... is not the way to go. Dog's do not know how to "Chill the Heck out! That has to be taught! And training calmness into a Dog, is a "thing." And that is what is missing here. If you get that right ... you don't have to address the "Counter Surfing," thing directly at all! :)

And next is the "Dog Park!" Dog Park's are a very mixed bag? People that know what they are doing, use "Dog Park's," for "Proofing there Dog's behaviour." It is very rare to see anyone with a "Well Trained Dog," that knows anything about dog's, in a "Dog Park?" They are out there of course, but they can "Recall," there Dog's! Most folk's in a typical Dog Park, can not! And those are the majority of "Dog Park, folk's, untrained dog's. And the folk's with well behaved dog's, have not run across the "Wrong Dog, Yet!" But if you go there go a lot, it's just a matter of time. Until you wrong across the "Wrong Dog."

But that aside if you routinely, go to the "Dog Park?" You are "training," your dog to learn ..." that running around with a Pack of Dog's is a lot of fun and that what you say ... "Does not matter!"

Side note the first dog I ever took to a "Dog Park," was my WL GSD, and I/We had worked thru a lot of issues! Leash off ,of course and only two Dog's were there (small town and off peak hours.) It was a waste of time. He did not care about other dog's. He never left my side. The dog's that were there came up to greet him and then left us be. He had no issue with them but did not care about them either. For me that was just fine. :)

But if off leash recall is an issue for you? As long as you keep "Dog Parking Her?" You have pretty much "Zero Chance," of that situation ever getting better. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I think the daycare thing for a few hours may be a good thing for her, thats funny you mention the leash aggressive thing she seems like she is feeling pretty insecure she only acts like this when you are attached to her you are her “back up” but when she’s on her own she is submissive. As long as she doesn’t get bullied in the daycare it may help her but if they have dogs trying to dominate her all the time this may work just the opposite so watch carefully.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have anywhere you can safely play with her off-leash? Playing fetch with a Chuck-It seems to help Mabel calm down more than just walks. She also LOVES something called a Flirt Pole. We got ours from a brand called Squishy Face and watched some YouTube videos on how to play with it safely. It helped her learn self-control and is also a great outlet for her prey drive. Teaching place and relax commands, lots of chewies (bully sticks are Mabel's favorite), and food puzzles where she uses her nose have all helped. I recently posted that I feel she's been worse since her spay, but hoping she calms back down like she was before. Good luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there. I've searched for and read all the posts about bored boxers and am glad that my dog isn't quite as unique as I thought, but it's still a very frustrating issue that I'm at my wit's end trying to solve. Lacey is 14 months old and still has the same high energy she had at 3 months old. Actually more, at least when she was young she napped once during the day. I am retired and work part time from home so I am with her all day and all night. I walk her twice a day, we have a fenced in yard with a petdoor leading to it so she's in and out all day as she wishes, and we have two other dogs for her to play with. But Lacey STILL just sits and stares at me, and whines, and barks, and cries until I get up and do something with her.

I'm wondering if part of the problem is that I have tried TOO hard to keep her amused. Is she spoiled and has no idea how to amuse herself for a while? My other two are older (not boxers) and they are great with two walks a day and some yard time and the rest of the time they're happy to nap. But not this one! She goes from one room to another picking up things she shouldn't be having, destroys everything within her reach (and she can reach a LOT, counter-surfing has picked up again) and once I've made sure all doors are closed and the only things she can get to are her own toys, she sits at my feet, stares at me, and cries. I think I taught the "Watch Me" command TOO well!

She has every toy you could imagine, she has the ones that are puzzles, we play fetch (but all she wants to do is play tug of war, which gets very old because she's so darned strong) and I got her an automatic ball launcher but she will not put the ball in herself. I think I've spoiled her.

Do I just start ignoring her? Will she eventually learn to amuse herself (with something other than destruction)? I was hoping when she turned a year old it would slow down but apparently not. Any comments or ideas would be great.
Sue
Not to sound rude, but a boxer may have not been the best breed for you just by your situation. It’s a safe bet for 24 months minimum you have a puppy on your hands with a boxer. They seem to mature very slow compared to just about all other breeds. However, the puppy energy never fully tunes out. They are hyper active dogs for just about their entire life. I would agree here with others that some of the staring might be some related to being spoiled, but I once too was under the myth of “two walks a day”. That is nowhere near enough for a health, young boxer. I could walk my dogs all day everyday and they would still have an excess amount of energy built up. It’s not available to everyone (safely) but letting them run is the best thing to stop about 99% of those issues. We have 4acres without anything around so my boys are outside anywhere from 2-4 hours a day where they run around / play like maniacs. They are so explosive in jumping, sprinting, it’s amazing to see what the breed is capable of when unleashed. I’m a firm believer that built up energy in a dog is the biggest cause of bad behavior. Wearing your dog out physically (and mentally!) makes for a better dog. I don’t know your situation, but I would try to find a way to get the energy out. Walks are fine, but boxers are insanely muscular dogs that are so athletic.

I am not a fan of dog parks (because of irresponsible dogowners) but sometimes they are a good Avenue to release the energy. Their usually a decent amount of space for them to run, and free. Can be great if there’s no one there / only a few people with responsible pets.

my boxers LOVE tug of war, and just about rip my arm off whenever I play with them. My suggestion to this is using a tree. We’ve tied tug toys to trees and they will literally just about rip it off every branch eventually.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the daycare thing for a few hours may be a good thing for her, thats funny you mention the leash aggressive thing she seems like she is feeling pretty insecure she only acts like this when you are attached to her you are her “back up” but when she’s on her own she is submissive. As long as she doesn’t get bullied in the daycare it may help her but if they have dogs trying to dominate her all the time this may work just the opposite so watch carefully.
So sorry I didn't reply sooner, I am just now seeing the new posts - for whatever reason I wasn't getting the email notifications that there were any new ones. My date to have her "meet and greet" at the daycare was supposed to be tomorrow but something came up and I had to reschedule... now it's a week from Thursday instead. :( I will ask them to keep an eye on her as far as bullying goes and from what I've heard, the new owners of this daycare are supposedly pretty terrific so we'll see. If she comes home with any nicks or bites I'll definitely investigate, and I'm guessing if she doesn't like it there she'll let me know by the way she acts when we arrive each day. If only they could talk, even for just 5 minutes a day!
Sue

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have anywhere you can safely play with her off-leash? Playing fetch with a Chuck-It seems to help Mabel calm down more than just walks. She also LOVES something called a Flirt Pole. We got ours from a brand called Squishy Face and watched some YouTube videos on how to play with it safely. It helped her learn self-control and is also a great outlet for her prey drive. Teaching place and relax commands, lots of chewies (bully sticks are Mabel's favorite), and food puzzles where she uses her nose have all helped. I recently posted that I feel she's been worse since her spay, but hoping she calms back down like she was before. Good luck!!
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. We do play in the fenced in yard but she's not big on fetching balls. She likes to fetch things we can then tug-of-war with so it's more tugging and less running. I even bought a ball launcher and am trying to teach her to drop the ball into it but it's a work in progress. We have two flirt poles, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. But one of my other dogs monopolizes it - it was his favorite thing for years before Lacey came along, so Lacey just sits back and watches. She's very respectful/intimidated by her little brother.
I have purchased three different food puzzles, she solves them all within 2 minutes and then completely destroys the puzzle when she's done. She is quite the chewer, and we have stuff in the freezer for her all the time to try to keep her amused when we're not playing.

I certainly hope things start getting better for you, rather than worse - let's hope calmer days are ahead for all of us!
Sue

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not to sound rude, but a boxer may have not been the best breed for you just by your situation. It’s a safe bet for 24 months minimum you have a puppy on your hands with a boxer. They seem to mature very slow compared to just about all other breeds. However, the puppy energy never fully tunes out. They are hyper active dogs for just about their entire life. I would agree here with others that some of the staring might be some related to being spoiled, but I once too was under the myth of “two walks a day”. That is nowhere near enough for a health, young boxer. I could walk my dogs all day everyday and they would still have an excess amount of energy built up. It’s not available to everyone (safely) but letting them run is the best thing to stop about 99% of those issues. We have 4acres without anything around so my boys are outside anywhere from 2-4 hours a day where they run around / play like maniacs. They are so explosive in jumping, sprinting, it’s amazing to see what the breed is capable of when unleashed. I’m a firm believer that built up energy in a dog is the biggest cause of bad behavior. Wearing your dog out physically (and mentally!) makes for a better dog. I don’t know your situation, but I would try to find a way to get the energy out. Walks are fine, but boxers are insanely muscular dogs that are so athletic.

I am not a fan of dog parks (because of irresponsible dogowners) but sometimes they are a good Avenue to release the energy. Their usually a decent amount of space for them to run, and free. Can be great if there’s no one there / only a few people with responsible pets.

my boxers LOVE tug of war, and just about rip my arm off whenever I play with them. My suggestion to this is using a tree. We’ve tied tug toys to trees and they will literally just about rip it off every branch eventually.
Nope, didn't take it a rude, just informed and concerned. I've fostered and rescued and owned over 45 dogs in my life but only 9 of them were boxers. All the others were adult boxers, I thought I deserved a "puppy" after all the years of rescuing adults and seniors and since boxers are my favorite breed, rescued boxer puppy is what I got. The DNA test shows she is 50% boxer, 17% Rottie, 10% lab, and the rest a mish-mosh. I totally agree that walking her leashed can sometimes pent up MORE frustration for her and running is wonderful and beautiful to watch. We have a fenced in yard and I try to get her to do laps but the same old yard gets boring so sometimes I take her to the dog park . I only go when I suspect no one else will be there or when only a few people (that I've come to know) are there. I agree, careless dog owners do show up at dog parks and that's when we leave. Since she is a handful to walk (very reactive to other dogs, squirrels, rabbits, leaves, etc.) I now only walk her after dark when chances of running into other walkers is rare. OMG, she loves tug of war, and yes, my shoulders have paid dearly for our bouts, but hey - she enjoys it so I can deal with it. :) I have tried tying things or securing things to the floor for her to tug on but she only seems interested in tugging when I am at the other end. Although she does enjoy tugging on the trees, shrubs and plants that she can reach in the yard..... I have myself a great little landscaper. Too bad she's better at removing than planting.

I just keep reminding myself that it will only continue to get better, not worse, and between night walks, daytime yard games, dog daycare, and occasional dog park, I will try to keep her as mentally and physically challenged as this old bod can take. She's certainly helping me get more fit!
Sue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply. She most definitely has me trained. Don't get me wrong, I did a lot of training with her for the first year (and still continue to do daily refreshers) but she turned out to be a better trainer than me. Those friggin' eyes get me every time!

Hell yes, I am a big fan and advocate of crate training, I preach it to everyone I know who has a dog and every family who adopts one from the shelter I volunteer at. And I have a huge array of different types and sizes of crates since I do a lot of rescue and fostering. This pup could NOT be crate-trained! She would hurt herself trying to break out. The plastic type she chewed her way out, and the metal type she bent the bars and squeezed herself through, cutting herself on the way out. Confining her to a room cost me a wall and a door. She is extra special. I've had over 50 dogs in my lifetime (some foster, some foster fails) but this one has me tearing my hair out.

I'm looking into doggie daycare now which has been great for some of my dogs in the past, but it's gotten so darned costly and since I'm retired it seems silly to spend the money when I'm home all day. Still, it might be good to give her and me a break, even two days a week.
Sue
Please check out the Doggy Day Care, we brought our 12 yo Boxer to. Camp Bow Wow and she was attacted by another dog. There was over 30 large dogs in the play area with a young girl and a spray bottle. Our dog ended up with 26+ stiches . So do some real checking on the day care, apparently they were under the state’s maximum As to the number in the play area at one time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So sorry for your senior boxer - how horrible! I used to bring some of my other dogs to this place, and one of mine (160 pound Saint Dane) turned out to be "dog selective". Most of the time he was fine and enjoying the other dogs, but twice in 3 months he went after another dog for no apparent reason (according to the staff). No harm was ever done to the other dogs (thank God) but they said from now on our dog would have to come to daycare with a muzzle. We decided that it would be better for everyone if he just dropped out of school. Some dogs do great, others? Not so much.

It's under new ownership now but I hear it's even better than before, and they even have an inground, full size swimming pool for the dogs. Getting too cold now but this boxer LOVES water - can't keep her out of my koi pond! I'll definitely observe while I'm there for the meet and greet and during my drop offs and pick ups to see what the ratio is. Hell, I take more than a spray bottle with me when I got on my daily walks - don't think that's going to deter an aggressive dog!
Sue

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is really one solution .Exercise. Ever hear a parent say about their kid. " He\She is going to sleep good tonight." Why? They physically exerted themselves. Having the freedom of a fenced yard or a walk around the block is not nearly enough for a Boxer. Pups until three. 2 yrs ago My wife, Brother and I gave each other pups for X-Mas. Wife/GS, Brother/Husky and my boxer. To this day She runs circles around them and still acts like a puppy. Where the other two are much more subdued. Your dog is literally telling you she is bored. You have to tire her out. My Pup is not much of a runner, more a sprinter. But could play tug all day long. Whether im sitting on the couch watching tv, working at my desk or walking up the stairs we play tug. Its like muscle memory and I dont even realize it at this point. If I were to ignore her. She would find another solution which could bad. If you cant minimally play tug for a good 10-15 minutes all throughout the day or run her. Find another solution. Get a bike or something. Also, raw meaty bones are GREAT! I go to my local grocery (Albertsons) and have the butcher once a month buy me a whole cow leg Knuckle to knuckle. Then cuts it up into about 30 pieces. I keep them frozen and give her 3-4 a week. One bone will keep her occupied for hours as she munches and tries to get the delicious morrow out of the middle. Not only are these packed with nutrients she cant get from her kibble. They keep her teeth clean and provide hours of stimulation. (DONT buy the prepackaged brown oily ones. raw straight from the butcher. Keep frozen)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is really one solution .Exercise. Ever hear a parent say about their kid. " He\She is going to sleep good tonight." Why? They physically exerted themselves. Having the freedom of a fenced yard or a walk around the block is not nearly enough for a Boxer. Pups until three. 2 yrs ago My wife, Brother and I gave each other pups for X-Mas. Wife/GS, Brother/Husky and my boxer. To this day She runs circles around them and still acts like a puppy. Where the other two are much more subdued. Your dog is literally telling you she is bored. You have to tire her out. My Pup is not much of a runner, more a sprinter. But could play tug all day long. Whether im sitting on the couch watching tv, working at my desk or walking up the stairs we play tug. Its like muscle memory and I dont even realize it at this point. If I were to ignore her. She would find another solution which could bad. If you cant minimally play tug for a good 10-15 minutes all throughout the day or run her. Find another solution. Get a bike or something. Also, raw meaty bones are GREAT! I go to my local grocery (Albertsons) and have the butcher once a month buy me a whole cow leg Knuckle to knuckle. Then cuts it up into about 30 pieces. I keep them frozen and give her 3-4 a week. One bone will keep her occupied for hours as she munches and tries to get the delicious morrow out of the middle. Not only are these packed with nutrients she cant get from her kibble. They keep her teeth clean and provide hours of stimulation. (DONT buy the prepackaged brown oily ones. raw straight from the butcher. Keep frozen)
I know you're right. The yard and the walks are definitely not enough for her at this age. And OH MY do we play tug throughout the day and night! If I (God forbid) try to sit in my recliner and watch some TV, she starts bringing me all her tug toys and doesn't take no for an answer. She will drop it on my lap and go get another one until my lap is piled with toys. Of course this cracks me up and I start playing with her. She literally pulls me and the recliner several feet across the room. Damned strong dogs!

We play tug outdoors often, too, because I love to throw her toys so she has to run to fetch them but when she brings them back she doesn't let go - she just wants to continually tug. I would love a little more running in between the tugs but that's not her preference.

I do buy her raw bones from the grocery store but I like the idea of getting a large quantity from a butcher and freezing them. It doesn't take the place of strenuous exercise but it does keep her busy for a while when I have to get some work done.

I think daycare 2-3 times a week will do her good. It's a much bigger fenced in area with lots of other, new and exciting dogs to interact with. She definitely needs to be around other dogs and other people more. She's great with people but she needs the interaction with dogs, too. I can't take her to the dog park anymore because she pulls and barks so ferociously as I'm trying to get her from the car to the entrance that the other dog owners look on in fear. As soon as I get her off her leash, she's a *****-cat and very passive, but getting her TO the gate is a challenge.

GSD, husky and boxer... that's quite a handsome trio. :)
Sue

1 - 20 of 22 Posts