Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first brought Bruce home at 8 weeks, his ears were forward. like this.

now he's about 15 weeks and they are always in pulled back like this.

Will his ears ever go back to being folded forward?  I thought I read somewhere about the calcium in his food or something that would make his ears do crazy things as a puppy?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
As the pup grows that cartilage starts to take form.  You can do two techniques with the natural ear to get them to lay flat, like they did when they were pups.

Here is the link on how to "tape" and "massage" the natural ear.  Many breeder showing natural do the taping, and you get great results with both.

http://intrends.tripod.com/TAPING.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the link.  How long should I do this?  Every day for a month?  If I go with the tape, how long should i leave the tape on there for ?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I am not sure on time and length of taping.  I would tape for a day, take off see how they look. Tape until they are laying the way you like them to.  I have never taped so not that experienced in it.

However I did massage Hanna every night when she way laying next to me.   She loved the ear rubs and I got her ears to lay real nice.  Kash has elephant ears, and those suckers just fall.

Good Luck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will start rubbing his ears immediatley, I just hope its not too late to get them to straighten out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jetta's right ear is starting to do the same thing...her left one is ok still...can I tape one and not the other?  Also, I am still confused on exactly what to do to massage...where do I massage on the ear...the top or the floppy part...does this usually correct itself after the teething or does it stay liek that if you don't treat it as a puppy?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was wondering that too, will the ears correct themselves after teething?  We massaged Bruces ears all last night, and they stayed in the position we liked for a little bit, but this morning they were back to the way they were.  Is this something that all boxer owners have to do?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Oh you can do one, or do both.  Here is the massaging technique - its not something that is going to happen after one night.  Gotta work on it the more it lays correct, the less you have to do it.  I still after 1.5 years when laying with Hanna massage hers so the crease lays flat.

http://intrends.tripod.com/MASSAGE.html

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think a good part of how the ears lay is genetic.  Taping and rubbing is something to try, but in the end it will depend on the ear leather and the genetic make up of the dog.  Teething makes their ears do very strange things - but if they are going to do something other than lay flat - there is probably little you can do.  Also, as the dog grows and the ear leather gets heavier, it will naturally pull them down.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Kate, you may be right on that, about genetics...I never massaged Buck's ears( back then didn't know anything about it), and his ears fell really nicely, got lucky I guess  :) Definitely will with the next one tho...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am still having a little trouble understanding the exact technique...it's hard to follow from the pictures...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I rub Sophie's ears all the time, just in case it does make a difference and because they are soft and she likes it.  Sophie's teething right now and one day her ears are rup and the next they are down - or one's up and one's down.  Taping and massaging certainly won't hurt  - I just hate to give the impression that if your dog's ears don't lay flat at all times then there's something wrong with them.  So many things to worry about with the puppies - why add to the list.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been trying the massaging thing...she won't sit still..i don't think she likes it, lol...or I'm doing something wrong...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Tyson's ears always flap forward...unless he know he did something bad, they will go backwards :).  It's too cute.  But normally his ears are flapped forward.  I love Boxer ears!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there a scientific explanation as to why the ears do this while teething?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts