Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sohpie has had very loose stools ever since she got her 3rd set of shots and heartworm pill and that's been over a week ago.  I know she was getting table food (which we have completely cut out - she ate garlic butter spaghetti 3 days ago) and she eats everything under the sun in the yard (spider webs, leaves, yucky stuff in general), but I can't get the loose stool under control.  She is eating Merrick dry and that's new for her for about 3 weeks now - so I don't know if the food is too rich for her or if it's residual stuff in her system from the table food, or the cat food she gets into on nearly a daily basis - even though I try and keep her out of it.  But I've been feeding her boiled chicken and long grain rice for 2 days with no luck.  In fact today's deposit was absolutely water.  She is wild as ever and acts totally healthy except for the diarreah.  I'm trying not to go to the vet, but it looks like I have no other choice tomorrow if things don't improve.  I just wondered if there is anything else I can do or how long it takes for the bland chicken and rice diet to take effect.  I have also been giving her anti-diarreah pills (1 a day), but no luck firming up the stools.  I hate to think that the Merrick is the cause, but if it's not, then is it possible the giardia is back.  Her last two samples came back totally clean and there have been no dogs in our yard except Sophie and Kane or standing water.  Sorry this is so long --- but if I'm now faced with food allergies, I thought I better put all the details I could think of here.  I really need some help - poor thing.  I also give her pumpkin (1 tsp only once a day and 1 tsp yogurt - once a day.  

If I have to start home cooking for her does anyone have any good books or recipes for this.  I feel so bad I can't seem to help her.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Kate, i have been having the same problem with popeye. about a week ago it finally stopped, adn was back to normal, I kept him on Merrik for about 1 month. Today he had his heart pill and his poop is kinda soft again., not like before but sorta....maybe some dogs have an allergy to the pill???? I have no idea though. Hope someone can help.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
heartguard is aweful on isis's stomach !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awfullllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whenever we would give Bo people food his stomach could not handle it at all.  So back to just Pedigree dog food dry was the best choice and always had a normal stool.  It could be the cat food or even the chicken you are giving him.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Kate, it almost sounds like you may have to do an elimination diet to really determine what exactly it is...It very well could be the Heartguard and shots tho...I'd start by eliminating things and work back from there...Prior to her last shots, was Sophie ok? And yea, it is hard to constantly monitor what they get into outside....I do know that a couple weeks ago, we had a crawfish boil and the dogs got a few and it took Angel 2 days to get her system cleaned out from that, so it very well could be the people scraps mess her up...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree with Willow.  You have so many different things going on that it could be hard to determine what it is.....I think it takes about a month for them to get use to a new food.  IF the food is not to rich for her.  I had the same problem when I switched Fiona to Blue Buffalo food she kept loose stool with it and I finally took her off and put her back to her original food.

Shots can sometimes cause an upset stomach but that is not normal.  So I would think it is not the shots.  They can also have a problem with heartworm preventative.  It depends on what you used and also if it was her first time to take it.  If it was not the first time and she did not have this happen the first time then I would say it is not that.  Heartgard will sometimes cause it because of the beef they use to make it a chewable.  They make heartgard in a pill also for dogs that cant handle the beef chewable.

I doubt it is Giradia again because you have a controlled environment now....

Table food, cat food all these things could be it too......

I would say that the main thing is make sure she is drinking, use gatoraide or ensure if you need to make sure she is hydrated.  After a week with home things if it is not better I would ask the vet for something for her.  Metronidazole works great call them and see if they will RX some without seeing her since she was just in.....

Let us know

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Kate I would have to agree cat food is very rich and will tear them up.....I had the same issue with Fiona.  I have a deep freeze in my utility room and i moved Prince's (the cats) food and water bowl up on top of it.  He can jump up there and eat and drink as he wants and she cant reach it....Maybe you have somewhere you can put it up??? I sure go through less cat food since I did this :)

I would cut out the can food and go to just dry, get the cat food out of her way, make sure she is drinking and cut everything else out for 24 hours to see where you stand.....The only other thing is that she got a bacterial infection from the chicken it does happen sometimes....The Metronidazole would be a key for that.....

Oh and Interceptor I have never heard of a reaction with....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Kate how is Sophie doing? was thinking about her today....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie's stool does this sometimes.  Usually it'll start out really hard, then the last half will be very soft.  We are feeding our two Solid Gold Mmellina and there coats are shinier, less eye boogers, and the amount of poop has decreased.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Had that same issue with Veg-monster. I took a stool sample to the vet and there were no parasites or anything. GAv eme that M-stuff Sharon mentioned and it has helped a ton. Vet also recommended Cottage Cheese with her food to help firm the stool up a bit. It is getting better and seems to be doing the trick just fine. I am also thinking it is the food a bit to.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sophie's last deposit finally had some shape to it and held together!  Still soft, but at least had some form instead of the loose pile she was leaving.  I think Sharon was right about the cat food tearing her up.  I'm not feeding the outside cat twice a day and only as much as she will eat in a few minutes so Sophie can't get to it.  I'll take some pictures of the house and place he built to feed his wild cat so you can see what I'm talking about.  Sophie can get through the door and had been getting the cat's food for I don't know how long.  I thought she was too big to fit through the door until I went out there a couple of days ago and found her inside the cat's dining room.  I'm hoping that things are going to return to normal now.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been 48 hours since she has gotten into the cat food, but the loose (diarreah) still is going on.  Poor thing her butt must be killing her - last night it was pure clear muscus so I called her vet this morning and asked for the metronidazole.  I'm waiting for a call back from them now to see what they think.  They agreed that eating cat food is probably the problem along with everything else she has gotten into and people food.  I've had her on the bland diet now for 3 days with no improvement and the muscus stuff is starting to scare me.  I'll let you know what I find out today.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well.....Hopefully they will give you something to help with it all.  If it has gone from liquid (pure) to mucas that is not really a bad thing but not right yet either....Hopefully they will let you pick up some med's since they just saw her for her shots...Let us know

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sorry to hear about poor Sophie still have problems with her stool  :|  Poor little girl. Sounds to me like what everyone else mentioned that the problem lies in the cat food being too rich. I am interested in hearing what the vet has to say. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vet just called and they are going to put her on the Metronidazole for a week and see if that helps.  If it doesn't clear up by then, we'll do another stool sample.  So I'm on my way to go get it now.  Sure hoping it works fast - poor baby must be as tired of it as I am.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I'm sure that the Metronidazole will work fast Kate.  I know when Sadie had bad diahrrea the vet told us to use diaper cream on her butt, and also gave us some saline to apply (her bum was very raw), not sure if Sophie's is but I imagine it doesn't feel too good. Anyway, good luck at the vet and give Sophie a kiss from me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had to do elimination with Hoosier and it ended up being a parasite (Giardia) AND canned food. We finally cleared the parasite which was touch because Hoos was a poo eater. I followed him like a hawk and got rid of the poo right after elimination and it was still soft for a week after he came off his second round of meds. It came down to the canned food. I just used the Merrick dry and he got solid after about a week. I had to cut out some of his favorite treats too, like peanut butter, but I just used boiled chicken bits instead. That way I get the firming effects and a happy pup. I premake a bland mix and use it for Kong stuffing through out the week.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts